The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
odis.dunkle

'69 GMC resuscitation

I’m new to the board. I have been reading threads for several days now, but I am likely to make newbie mistakes (like asking too much in a single thread), so please bear with me.

The story:
My father-in-law is passing his ’69 GMC to my younger son—through me.
Basic details of the truck are in my signature. (I will update it as I get smarter.)
My father-in-law bought the truck when it was 1yo. It was his camper truck and then farm truck. The truck has been undriven since ’94 and has been garaged in a shed in Eastern WA most of its life (read as “negligible rust” and “essentially original”).
My task is to make it mechanically reliable again. The target is for a reliable frequent use vehicle that doesn’t mind getting messy.

And that is where I can use help.
1. Can any of you help me find threads that talk about experiences with ‘waking up’ a Rip Van Winkle truck from a 20 year sleep? And in general, am I foolish to think that a truck this old and this long untouched can be revived to the point of being dependable again short of replacing the bulk of the guts?

I will be visiting the truck this week (and hauling it back within a couple more weeks). I will post pictures and SPID when I get over the Pass.
But I’m hoping this board can help with some details/prep in the meantime:
2. Parts: Am I going to find it easy to locate the parts that will be needed? And more importantly, where should I be looking? Those board members from the Puget Sound area, I would love to hear about brick-and-mortar choices. From the rest of you, sources on the Web would be appreciated. And I got a sniff in a few threads that some of you on the board supply parts, so if you do, shoot me an email/PM please with a description of what niche you serve.
3. Split rims: The truck is currently ‘wearing’ its original split rims. What little I know about split rims says that I should retire the rims in favor of non-split rims. Comments? Any suggestions for what I should be looking for in replacements? How do I find a place that will demount the existing tires so that I can cubby hole the split rims to go with the truck when it someday goes to a new owner? (I do want to try to honor the original designers of this rig, even if it means hanging onto parts that have been pulled off of it during this resuscitation.)
4. Broken leaf spring: During its camper days, one of the leaf springs cracked. How big a deal is this to live with? The truck needs to haul occasional loads (moving day or bulk soil), but it will never be asked to work like it did with a camper on its back.

In the general knowledge category:
5. Being a full length bed that isn’t a stepside, does that make it LWB in the board’s lingo?
6. And with 3/4ton with 2wd, am I going to find that it is a C20?
7. My father-in-law referred to it as a Camper Special, but from reading I assume he actually means Custom Camper. Just what does Camper Special/Custom Camper mean in the actual scheme of things? My father-in-law says that he has been given the wrong water pump and brake pads before because he didn’t specify Camper Special to the parts dealer. Does that jive with actuality, and what other details change from a stock 3/4ton?
8. Can any of you give me the concise version of apples-to-apples? By that I mean what model years will match this engine, body, etc. (I assume I need to get photos posted for the transmission and such to get the full spectrum.)
9. And similar to #8, how interchangeable are GMC’s and Chevy’s around this time frame?

Thanks for whatever help you can give me with the learning curve.
odis.dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: '69 GMC resuscitation

If it's the original 305... it will be a V6.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
tcrist

First, welcome to the forum.

We do like pictures so when it is possible, pop some in.
Wes http://www.classicheartbeat.com/default.htm is up in your state. It would be a good idea to contact him and I am sure that he can find anything that you need and answer questions that you have.

We all here will answer anything that we can also.
I personally am a bit lost on quite a few things on these trucks compared to 99% of the people on this site. I do not know of how much help that I can be, but I'll try when I can.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
tim's68gmc

Welcome i am just a bit south of you in Tacoma. sound like you have a nice truck to work on. a good place to get parts new and used is franks pick up trucks in Olympia.

check out my link

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659403
1947 ford 1.5 ton dully
1997 f-350 1 ton
2007 Chrysler 300 with hemi
tim's68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
hugger6933

Well first off with the exception of motor stuff [when you said 305 I assume it is a big V-6 ]the parts interchangeability between the Chevy and the GMC is limited to the front sheet metal [grille and fenders, core support]the rest is pretty much the same truck there are some trim differences but minor.
2: The parts you need are gonna be somewhat easy to find they may have to be ordered and you have to wait a day or so but that is getting to be common now so that stores don't have to stock a bunch of stuff and let the warehouse do it.
3: The use of one piece wheels are much safer and any one who is gonna change the tires will thank you. Some guys won't do split wheels any more [cause they have to have a cage to put the wheel in and many don't have
that]
4:Broken spring yeah it is gonna hold back the amount of weight it can haul but this greatly depends on witch one it is as to how important it is.
5: Yes being a 3/4 it would most likely be a lwb with a 127 wheelbase.
6:No, being a GMC they carried different designations than the Chevy's C10 [for 1/2 ton] C20[for 3/4 ton] and C-30[for one ton]. The GMC's carry the designation C1500[1/2 ton] C2500[ 3/4 ton] and 3500[one ton] Unless it is our neighbors to the north then it goes weird 910[1/2ton] 920[3/4 ton] and 930[ I don't think I've never seen a Canuck one ton?]but I'm pretty sure they made them.
7: Camper Special was a Ford designation if I am correct not used on any GM truck.
8: You need to post up more info on what you have so we can better see for ourselves about what is going on and what you have a shot of the SPID maybe [sticker in the glovebox]
9:A lot of the stuff is interchangeable 68-72 alot of the 67 stuff will fit too but it was the first year model of that style and it didn't have side marker lamps and the interior was a little different. The 68 is normally lumped in with the 67's and the 69 are put with the 70's as the grilles were the same on the Chevy's and 71-2's were the same basic truck except for some trim changes and door changes that are minor. Do a search on the search bar about interchange and you can find months worth of reading, enough to get you through the rest of the winter. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:50 PM   #6
odis.dunkle

thanks for the welcomes and responses--especially hugger6933.

I know I owe photos and will get those up soon.

GASoline71--I wish the engine compartment would end up like yours, but I don't have the 4 year timeline. Maybe downstream of here.... For helping my son out with this, I made him promise me that I get first right of refusal on the truck when/if he decides to get something else in the future.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 AM   #7
seattle gmc

hi odis, what part of seattle are you in? We need to see some pics.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #8
leadfoot067
horsepower junkie

welcome..basic revival in my opinion,means draining the fuel,inspecting all rubber fuel lines and replace as neccesary,make sure there isnt any rust in the fuel tank,it will probably need brakes,carb may need a rebuild, when an engine has been sitting that long,i like to pull the plugs and crank it a bit to get some oil flowing before starting it..lots of good parts sources in the NW...most wrecking yards will have a good supply of 16" 8 lug steelies or pretty ones to put on your truck..
Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #9
swamp rat

So there was no mechanical problem with the engine before the sleep? How good of a mechanic are you? I would want to ID what engine it is, do you know how to pull the distributor and reinstall it correctly? You can prime the oil system by removing the distributor and reach in with an oil priming rod on a drill motor and re prime the system. Of course i'd want to change the oil first. I think an inline 250 you can use a long screwdriver blade sans the handle.

Fuel system will need to be gon thru, minum fuel filter and carb rebuild.

Amazon.com: OIL PUMP PRIMER TOOL GM Chevy V6 V8... Amazon.com: OIL PUMP PRIMER TOOL GM Chevy V6 V8...
The second poster on this thread has some good advice.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=560928

I can almost bet no tire shop will want to deal with split rims due to safety concerns, i'd be looking for replacements ether at a local junk yard or craigs list. if i remember correctly i think its a 6.5" pattern but i'd have to go measure one again.

Of course the usual stuff like coolant need to be checked, the water hoses and belt are probably pretty dry rotted as well.

Take a plug wrench and check the rear plugs at least for oil fouling too.

EDIT: welcome from Spanaway.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 02-26-2015 at 12:37 AM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:18 AM   #10
odis.dunkle

First, for all the reading I had done on this board, I had no sense the PNW was this well represented. Thanks for responding.

Swamp Rat: you should be a detective. There was a problem that got this truck put into extended timeout. My father-in-law had the valve push rods replaced in '93. When he got it back the plugs would foul every couple of weeks. He claims that it is the seals that are bad, but he didn't need the truck anymore so he just parked it thinking he would get to it himself in retirement.
And no, I am no kind of mechanic. I have wood dust in my veins. Third generation on that. If you have something wrong in your house I can fix it. But my experience under the hood is limited to the easy stuff--water pumps, alternators, plugs, etc. This project is only possible because I have a good (maybe great) mechanic in N.Seattle. What I am doing on this site is trying to prepare myself for all the decisions that are going to be made soon.

leadfoot067: Thanks, I have budgeted for any fluid system (oil, transmission, coolant, brake--am I missing any?) to be drained/flushed. I have experienced this already keeping my wife's '93 Camry on the road. And I am assuming that pulling the carb and having it cleaned/inspected is a starting point too.

SeattleGMC: I am north end of LkWA, but the truck will end up in the Bay Area where my son is in school.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:52 AM   #11
odis.dunkle

So I visited the project and have photos to share.
One of the truck in the shed, another of the SPID, and another of the engine compartment.
I was pleasantly surprised with what I found. Both the oil and transmission fluid were liquid (and full). The hoses were all still pliable. I was kind of shocked at how well things have aged, though I have to give credit to my father-in-law who has kept it out of the sun and weather for all these years. Everything does have a coat of E.WA dust, and the underside has plenty of dried farm mud.
I misunderstood my father-in-law about the engine. It is a 307 V8.
I welcome all remarks to help me figure out the other details/specs.
I have read two of the color threads. My color sense isn't very good, but I don't think I have seen this color anywhere else--unless under the dust this is simply 'grapefruit'.
I'll haul it back in about a week. I hope to pressure wash some of it once it is on the trailer to leave as much dust/dirt as I can in E.WA
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2015, 03:43 AM   #12
swamp rat

I don't think i have ever seen that color to be honest.. I do think you have a jewel in the rough.

I'm gonna guess it has minimal rust being as it was garaged so long. Being as your bringing it to W.Wa make sure the gutter is sealed tight and has no cracks in the sealer. one more thing you may want to do is check over the windshield molding for cracking, also look for water (when it rains) in the glove box and the bottom lip of the dash. My truck had a huge gap in the body panels on the passenger side bottom of the windshield under the cowl where 3 panels are spot welded together. Be sure to pull the floor mat and make sure its dry on the floor too.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #13
SuperC10Tex

Welcome from Texas! Another 4-eyed saved......keep the pics coming!!!

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows"
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #14
don t. - 72gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis.dunkle View Post
I have experienced this already keeping my wife's '93 Camry on the road. And I am assuming that pulling the carb and having it cleaned/inspected is a starting point too.
Howdy from Illinois. Good to see another GMC being saved, put back into use.

JMHO...If you can wrench on a '93 Camry, you should have no problem working on the '69.

If you have a Q-jet carb, you can fix it yourself. I've done em way before the internet, and Im no mechanic.

Good luck...don t. ...
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #15
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Now that's what I call a barn find!
Special paint too, interesting that it is listed twice on the spid.
...and welcome aboard from Florida!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #16
tommys72

That's neat, I'm looking forward to seeing it out of the barn and hosed off

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #17
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I don't think i have ever seen that color to be honest.. I do think you have a jewel in the rough.

We bought a new GMC in 1969 with that same special paint green. I dont think Ive seen another one until now. Sure brings back alot of memories for me. I was 16 years old back then.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #18
odis.dunkle

Quote:
I'm gonna guess it has minimal rust being as it was garaged so long. Being as your bringing it to W.Wa make sure the gutter is sealed tight and has no cracks in the sealer. one more thing you may want to do is check over the windshield molding for cracking, also look for water (when it rains) in the glove box and the bottom lip of the dash. My truck had a huge gap in the body panels on the passenger side bottom of the windshield under the cowl where 3 panels are spot welded together. Be sure to pull the floor mat and make sure its dry on the floor too.
Thanks for the advice. I will check all that stuff. FWIW, the truck will likely live the next two years after the mechanical work in the Bay Area where my youngest is at school, but have to live outdoors, so the same problems might come into play. I did a cursory check of the windshield gasket, and like the hoses and the bushings underneath I was stunned by how pliable everything still is. I guess getting out of the sun is a bigger part of the equation than age is.

Here is a shot of some of the underside. I have found no rust that amounts to a structural problem. The hubcaps may be a loss, but I am having to change the rims anyway, so doubt they would fit the new rims anyway.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #19
odis.dunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperC10Tex View Post
Welcome from Texas! Another 4-eyed saved......keep the pics coming!!!
With the added foglights, does that make this truck 6-eyed?
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #20
odis.dunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by don t. - 72gmc View Post
JMHO....If you have a Q-jet carb, you can fix it yourself. I've done em way before the internet, and Im no mechanic.

Good luck...
Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe you can tell what I have for a carb under the oily dust.
My father-in-law scored lots of points with me this past w/e when I went out to see the truck and sitting in the bed was a carb rebuild kit still in its shrinkwrap, four 'new' brake pads, and a 'new' oil filter that he has been hanging onto since he put the truck away 20 years ago.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #21
odis.dunkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
Now that's what I call a barn find!
Special paint too, interesting that it is listed twice on the spid.
...and welcome aboard from Florida!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
We bought a new GMC in 1969 with that same special paint green. I dont think Ive seen another one until now. Sure brings back alot of memories for me. I was 16 years old back then.
My f-i-l refers to it as chartreuse. And for a tough old apple farmer to use a word like chartreuse just shows how much he cares for that truck.
The truck is that color throughout, no second color anywhere. All I can guess on the two callouts on the SPID is that the ZP3 calls out that a special color is going to be applied and the 1001MC is the spec of the actual color. But that is just a wild guess.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #22
Joesjunk

Great barn find. Interesting color too. Good luck with it, these truck are actually very simple to work on.
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #23
swamp rat

If your a supporting member you can sell the hubcaps on the for sale board. They are worth selling.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 03-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #24
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Well first off with the exception of motor stuff [when you said 305 I assume it is a big V-6 ]the parts interchangeability between the Chevy and the GMC is limited to the front sheet metal [grille and fenders, core support]the rest is pretty much the same truck there are some trim differences but minor.
2: The parts you need are gonna be somewhat easy to find they may have to be ordered and you have to wait a day or so but that is getting to be common now so that stores don't have to stock a bunch of stuff and let the warehouse do it.
3: The use of one piece wheels are much safer and any one who is gonna change the tires will thank you. Some guys won't do split wheels any more [cause they have to have a cage to put the wheel in and many don't have
that]
4:Broken spring yeah it is gonna hold back the amount of weight it can haul but this greatly depends on witch one it is as to how important it is.
5: Yes being a 3/4 it would most likely be a lwb with a 127 wheelbase.
6:No, being a GMC they carried different designations than the Chevy's C10 [for 1/2 ton] C20[for 3/4 ton] and C-30[for one ton]. The GMC's carry the designation C1500[1/2 ton] C2500[ 3/4 ton] and 3500[one ton] Unless it is our neighbors to the north then it goes weird 910[1/2ton] 920[3/4 ton] and 930[ I don't think I've never seen a Canuck one ton?]but I'm pretty sure they made them.
7: Camper Special was a Ford designation if I am correct not used on any GM truck.8: You need to post up more info on what you have so we can better see for ourselves about what is going on and what you have a shot of the SPID maybe [sticker in the glovebox]
9:A lot of the stuff is interchangeable 68-72 alot of the 67 stuff will fit too but it was the first year model of that style and it didn't have side marker lamps and the interior was a little different. The 68 is normally lumped in with the 67's and the 69 are put with the 70's as the grilles were the same on the Chevy's and 71-2's were the same basic truck except for some trim changes and door changes that are minor. Do a search on the search bar about interchange and you can find months worth of reading, enough to get you through the rest of the winter. Jim
Could be that's how those F%#* mirrors found their way on there?

Cool truck....can't wait to see how it works out.

Last edited by slikside; 03-02-2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: EDIT: delete comments meant for another post!
slikside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:16 AM   #25
odis.dunkle

Quote:
If your a supporting member you can sell the hubcaps on the for sale board. They are worth selling.
I truly appreciate all the help