The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

A slew of A/C questions

Okay, let me lay this all out of what I have and let the confusion begin.

I have a 71 suburban with a 5.3 LS motor. I plan on using the original LS A/C Compressor. The suburban was originally a factory A/C burb, but has a Non-A/C dash in it and the A/C stuff is gone. All of the Heater assembly has been gutted and the firewall has been shaved.

I bought an Old Air kit that is for a Non-A/C truck. Has a few issues getting the unit under the dash due to the fact that the original holes were shaved, but I got it bolted up with the 4 lines coming through the firewall.

On the rear A/C, I bought a factory 72 system and modified it to fit on the roof at the rear. I have not wired it up yet or ran the A/C lines to it.

My question is I'm having a few issues understanding how to get the lines that come with the kit to fit on my LS compressor. Also where to I "T" it off to go to the rear? Old Air hasn't been much help when I've asked them. Only to tell me that they don't think that the LS compressor won't be strong enough to handle both systems. Which doesn't make sense sense it came out of a 2003 Tahoe with rear A/C.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If I could get a pic of the hose setup on an original burb showing me the "T" section that would be great. I don't know much about A/C so I probably shouldn't have tackled this alone, but too late now.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: A slew of A/C questions

-
I think you would get more response on this in the LS Swap forum. I can move it for you if you want me to.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
C10 Club Tennessee

I need a pic of the lines coming off the compressor and where they "T" off. Then following them back to the firewall.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
72MARIO

If you pm Cheyenne short step he might be able to post some more pictures. He is a great guy to deal with.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:04 AM   #5
64Bezer

I might be able to help. I have a factory front and rear air 72 suburban. I replaced everything except the rear AC with an Old Air kit a year ago. Mine has a large Sanden compressor but yours would probably work. My suction line is Yee's between the compressor and firewall. The feed line is tee'd between the dryer and the compressor. The tees were a custom crimp job at a local AC shop. From the tees, the 2 lines run back down the backside of the passenger wheel well and follow the frame a bit. Then they run diagonally across to a point in front of the drivers rear wheel well and up into the body between the outer sheet metal and the interior panels. From there they run horizontally inside the body back to the D pillar where they travel up to the rear AC unit. I recently put in a full insulation kit and can't wait to find out how well the system works this year. It struggled a bit last year, but there was no insulation.
Rob
Attached Images

64Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
highwinger

I'm not sure if my thread will help, but here's my install of a front OAP with a factory rear air.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=644096vvvvvv

feel free to ask for more detail
highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
magicoolbus

You need to T off of the #6 line that goes to the Condenser and the #10 line that comes from the compressor. With a factory style of rear air, the lines need to be routed to the driver side. Several posts about that if you search. If you us an aftermarket one like VA or Old Air, then up the Pax side is best, also lots of posts on that one. Some aftermarket air units have a heat option too, this complicates the routing a bit, but still manageable. This is a customization, so roll up the 'ole sleeves and start customizing! Good luck.

When I did my rear air, I probably spent more time on this board searching for answers than I actually spent on the installation.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
Bigdav160

To be more clear, the low side T (the bigger hose) needs to be between the compressor and front POA valve. The high side T needs to be between the drier and the front expansion valve.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 PM   #9
magicoolbus

Indeed, thanks for the clarification Dave.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote