The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
briscuba

Era correct Carburetors......?

Hi guys!

I have 1970 CST project that I am working on. It has the factory BB 402, but a 1972 Rochester Carb. I need to replace the Carburetor anyway so I might as well get a 1970 replacement, if that is possible. I could go either electronic choke or manual (or nothing since I live in So. California).

Any ideas on where/how I can get a rebuilt or new replacement that is era correct?

As always, all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
briscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
franken

Re: Era correct Carburetors......?

Chances are it'll look the same as the carb that's on it now.
Why not go to your favorite auto parts store web site and enter the same data except for the year. I'll bet the carbs are both Qjets so unless someone pulls a date stamp off the carb, only you will know.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
MagmaJct

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscuba View Post
Hi guys!

I have 1970 CST project that I am working on. It has the factory BB 402, but a 1972 Rochester Carb. I need to replace the Carburetor anyway so I might as well get a 1970 replacement, if that is possible. I could go either electronic choke or manual (or nothing since I live in So. California).

Any ideas on where/how I can get a rebuilt or new replacement that is era correct?

As always, all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Having grown up on So-Cal, I never understood the logic behind the argument against certain warm-up assist devices because of one's place of residence. Is it the mild temps? Is it the humidity? The same argument is used by owners of aircooled engines to justify removal of the engine temperature control device.

Gasoline burns best when it's a vapor. When it leaves the carburetor it's an emulsified, atomized liquid, not a vapor. The hot intake is tasked with the job of vaporizing the atomized gasoline. But, when the intake is cold, that is, for an engine, not So-Cal, much of the atomized gasoline condenses on the walls and floor of the intake. This means a lower percentage of vapor reaches the combustion chamber. This the need to richen the mixture with a choke.

Off my soap box.

I'm in the process of acquiring all the parts I'll need to install a Quadrajet 4MV on my 350 C10. I'd considered a electric choke conversion such as the http://quadrajetparts.com/rochester-...400-p-399.html but instead opted to acquire the components needed for the original divorced choke.

Personal preference I suppose. The divorced choke setup is well documented, whereas the electric conversion is not.

--Mike

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
truckster

Electric choke wasn't available in 1970. However, it's one of the best reasons to upgrade to a later Quadrajet, along with better castings. Unless you're planning on concourse shows, you're better off with a late-70s Quadrajet.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote