The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
4shongo

New aluminum rad and a/c compressor installed this weekend!

I have been putting it off for a few months due to weather. I installed a new 3 core aluminum rad with twin 14" electric fans with aluminum shroud, and new chrome T-stat housing with new 180 degree T-stat. All I can say is wow...big difference from the stock 4 core with one 16" fan and shroud. The 16" fan use to stay on all the time and barely kept up when temps were above 90 (had to turn off A/C a few times due to high temps). This twin set up runs for about 30 seconds and drops the temps very quickly and shuts off. I like it!!! Also, new A/C compressor and filter/dryer installed. I know the temps were only in the high 60's yesterday here but the duct temps were real cold and I had the Burb idling for almost an hour checking for leaks and that everything seemed to work right. I'm finally ready for cruise season to start. I guess my new factory rad I bought 2 years ago will go to the scrap pile...should have done the aluminum rad in the first place. Lessons learned.
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
72MARIO

Re: New aluminum rad and a/c compressor installed this weekend!

What brand of rad and fan setup did you get ?
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
4shongo

Bought the set-up from Radiators4less. I bought from them before and they have great customer service. Can't remember the rad name; I think it was KRT or something like that. It is a newer company they are using. Really good quality, nice welding, no epoxy. It is stamped aluminum so it kind of looks like a factory rad on the sides. I like the look a lot. I could have purchased a Champion for $70 more but he said that this one would work for my application just as good. Its refreshing when a company doesn't push a more expensive product if one that is less expensive will work just as well. They sold me the whole set-up for $319 shipped, that was the best deal I could find! He said he guaranteed I would not have any heating issues and if so I could get my money back. Sounded good to me! Time will tell, but I have a happy customer once again.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
highwinger

Was that price just the radiator or include the fans?

I was expecting to get just a radiator for about that.

EDIT:
This one? http://www.kksmotorsports.com/show.asp?id=618

Last edited by highwinger; 03-30-2015 at 02:03 PM.
highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
highwinger

I just talked with Rick at Radiators4less:
3 rowx5/8" dia tube radiator & 2x14" dia electric fans with shroud for $319 shipped. He's out of the angled inlet though for a month. He suggested using the straight version with a small inlet dia. The electric harness kit is $75 and I want to add a s/s overflow tank $40. He was very reassuring about the quality.

Sounds like a great deal. From what I've seen before, this is a $1200 package.

Thanks for posting 4shongo!
Old 03-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
4shongo

That's the one. Yea, Rick is who I spoke with too. It really is a great set-up. I am truly impressed. For that price, it is awesome!! It is a true drop in install, I did not have to modify anything, fits just like a factory radiator!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
highwinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shongo View Post
That's the one. Yea, Rick is who I spoke with too. It really is a great set-up. I am truly impressed. For that price, it is awesome!! It is a true drop in install, I did not have to modify anything, fits just like a factory radiator!
Did you get the radiator with a straight or angled fitting? If straight, any issue getting a hose? Any idea of how much they draw?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
4shongo

Mine was angled at the bottom. Straight would be a little harder I believe to install the lower hose. It is tight down in that area. How much the fans draw? Not sure but I have one 40 amp dual fan relay set-up that had two fan wires and it is working flawlessly. I got it at Autozone for around $40. Used the same one on my Camaro and no issues. Both of my fans come on at the same time, the idle kicks down a little, but they only stay on for around 30 seconds to 1 minutes, the temp drops quick with this set-up.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
72MARIO

Sounds like a nice setup. Could you post picture of the setup installed ?
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
4shongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MARIO View Post
Sounds like a nice setup. Could you post picture of the setup installed ?
Ill try to remember to take a few pics in the next couple of days and post them up!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
highwinger

I got my setup ordered yesterday and all should arrive for install this weekend. I ended up with a Champion radiator since the KKS was out of stock. Their wiring harness doesn't include an AC override, so I'll have to work that in. I plan on touching up the paint where I can while things are available. I plan to add some paint touches too for fun. New rubbers & hoses on their way from LMC. Should be an interesting weekend.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
highwinger

I spent the weekend installing my radiator and also taking the opportunity to paint. The dis-assembly took about an hour. The cleaning & painting was the brunt of the effort. I put POR-15 on the most of the accessible frame areas and added some detail to the some of the rusty chrome parts.

I got a different radiator than the OP, but from the same vendor. The harness was the only item that came with instructions. Attaching the fans & shroud with zip ties seemed crazy to me, but I guess its the norm. I had to find a YouTube video to figure that out. The harness took some work too since it is a single fan harness with a big enough relay for two fans. I also added an AC override relay. I could have gone with another full harness from another vendor at 2x the cost, but opted out. I ordered replacement hoses & retaining rubbers from LMC and couldn't use the upper hose so I reused the one I had. The remaining issue is the retaining brackets don't fit the new radiator. I think I'll have to make something custom. I included before & after shots, but doesn't show much detail.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #13
highwinger

I forgot to mention the results...fortunately, all the wiring was correct so it all worked as it should with both fans turning on/off with AC & temp <185. They also turned on/off at 185/165 w/o AC. Leaving it in the driveway idling with both ACs on, the temp got to 190. OAT was mid 80s. The temp switch leaked at first because I didn't install with any sealant initially...easy fix.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
4shongo

Looks good. Got busy this weekend and forgot to take pics of my setup. I really like my new setup as well!!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
highwinger

Quote:
Looks good. Got busy this weekend and forgot to take pics of my setup. I really like my new setup as well!!
How did your retaining brackets work?
Old 04-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #16
4shongo

Top radiator brackets? Everything fit fine on mine. No modification at all!!!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #17
highwinger

Quote:
Top radiator brackets? Everything fit fine on mine. No modification at all!!!
I would like to see a pic if you get a chance. The brackets mount over the tank? The rad I removed was full thickness across the whole width unlike the new one which also sits higher.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #18
highwinger

I had to replace the fan relay this weekend. The vendor says to just wire the fans together and run through the one provided relay. The schematic that came with the fans shows two relays, one for each fan. At 14A each, I can see how two 30A relays is appropriate.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #19
4shongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwinger View Post
I had to replace the fan relay this weekend. The vendor says to just wire the fans together and run through the one provided relay. The schematic that came with the fans shows two relays, one for each fan. At 14A each, I can see how two 30A relays is appropriate.
The fan relay set-up I use is just one 40amp relay for both my fans. Drove this weekend and no issues.