The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #1
ztk123

Ls6 deal (maybe)

A few months back I posted about purchasing a 52k 5.3 that turned out to be a 4.8. After all the disappointment, I had just about made my mind up to go ahead with the 4.8 after installing a new camshaft. I have been looking for an LS6 intake (knowing I would lose torque, but like the look). When doing my nightly craigslist search I ran across an ad for an 04 LS6 CTS V engine. It had only been listed for a couple of hours. After making contact with the seller I learned he just replaced the engine due to an unfortunate incident. He told me while texting and driving he ran up on a curb at 35 mph and caused significant undercarriage damage to the car. The oil pan was not ruptured but after restarting the car heard a ticking sound. He took it to 2 local Chevrolet dealers and each of them recommended a rebuild or replacement. After receiving an insurance check for $5000 he had the engine replaced with a Corvette LS6. So I purchased the engine from intake to batwing oil pan including front accessories and even red Corvette covers for $750 (he didn't use the vette pan and covers). I listened to a video and there is a ticking sound. So far I have pulled the valve covers valvetrain looks okay, all the cylinder walls and crank look good from below. I guess I will tear it down soon and try to figure out where the noise is coming from. All in all I think it was a pretty good deal! Any advice is welcome.
Thanks, Mike
ztk123 is offline   Reply With Quote