The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
Kaptain Kadian

Proportionate valve or distribution valve

This may be a stupid question, but I don't know the answer and don't want to screw up a little thing. I am doing a front disc conversion on my 70 c10 and don't know if this valve will work with my disc brakes. Thanks
Attached Images

Kaptain Kadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Proportionate valve or distribution valve

Not a stupid question at all. That's a distribution block for drums/drums. When you convert to front discs, you'll want to change it out to a proportioning valve. I believe you should also change the MC but let's see what others have to say. MC for front discs uses a larger reservoir for the discs and a smaller reservoir for the rear drums.

If you want to get picky, the front discs, which operate at higher line pressure (the reason for the prop. valve) use 3/16" lines, and the rear drums retain 1/4" lines.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:32 AM   #3
Kaptain Kadian

Ok, thanks for the response. Next question, where is a good place to get one for my application?
Old 04-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Proportionate valve or distribution valve

Look at that steering shaft! Dang it man.

As far as the P/V order any ones for a disc to drum. You can get them at a good parts house to. When I did my rear disc swap I had CPP send me one with their kit.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Kaptain Kadian

I don't get it about the steering shaft. I took it loose to clean the steering box and the frame. Is there something wrong with it as well?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
snipescastle2

it should be more to the outside of the frame, in between the frame and left outer wheel house,and there is a small sheet metal brace that captures it if the rag joint fails.....but if you disconnected it, that explains it....
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
Kaptain Kadian

Yes, I have it just sitting on the frame right now. I found this one on ebay. Would it work for my application? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191444504548?redirect=mobile
Old 04-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
Yes, I have it just sitting on the frame right now. I found this one on ebay. Would it work for my application? Thanks

Ok that explains it about the shaft. I just noticed it and man! if you took it loose then your fine. Whew I thought you where driving it like that.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post

Yes that should work just fine. As long as it is for disc front to drums rear your good.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 04-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
Kaptain Kadian

Next question. This valve has 2 inlets and 3 outlets, while my current valve only has 2 outlets. What do I do about that?I only have 2 sets of brake lines. One that goes to the back and on that T's off for both sides of the front brakes. Thanks
Old 04-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
Davidf

+1. When converting from drum/drum to disk/drum, you must replace the master cylinder and proportioning valve for units designed for disk/drum applications. The disk/drum proportioning valve also acts as a residual valve, so don't need to add those.

I did a drum/drum to disk/drum conversion (and added power as well) to my '52. You can see the proportioning valve that I mounted to the frame (on left of photo).
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #12
Kaptain Kadian

I figured out the extra outlet problem. Thanks
Old 04-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #13
MagmaJct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Not a stupid question at all. That's a distribution block for drums/drums. When you convert to front discs, you'll want to change it out to a proportioning valve. I believe you should also change the MC but let's see what others have to say. MC for front discs uses a larger reservoir for the discs and a smaller reservoir for the rear drums.

If you want to get picky, the front discs, which operate at higher line pressure (the reason for the prop. valve) use 3/16" lines, and the rear drums retain 1/4" lines.
What about in '71? Just rebuilt my MC a few months ago, both front and rear reservoirs are the same size. I supposed an accurate question would be: "Did this change occur the same time they went to discs?"

Regards,
Mike

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
RichardJ

>> both front and rear reservoirs are the same size<<
On drum brakes as the shoes wear down, the owner periodically readjusts the shoes or it may have automatic adjusters. The fluid level in the reservoir stays about the same when the shoes are new until they are worn out.
Disc brakes have no adjustment for pad wear. As the pads wear from new, the fluid level slowly lowers and the volume of fluid behind the caliper piston slowly increases. The manufacturers use a larger volume reservoir for discs just in case the owner never checks the fluid levels. They don't want the brake reservoir to empty before the pads wear out and the screechers alert the driver. Most new cars have fluid level switches in the reservoir and idiot lights, because they know the drivers are too stupid to check the brake fluid on their own.

>>The disk/drum proportioning valve also acts as a residual valve, so don't need to add those.<<

Most Combination Valves, which include a proportioning sectionDo Not have residual valves built into them. Residual valves are very important on frame mounted Master Cylinders, because anytime the MC is below a wheel cylinder, gravity will push the fluid back into the MC and air will be drawn into the wheel cylinder or caliper .

I hope you don't snag those low hanging brake lines.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
Kaptain Kadian

I called the cpp tech line yesterday to ask them about it. They said, that's I didn't have to change out the master cylinder. The one that's came with the booster I bought from them a few years back would work just fine. I did order the proportion valve off eBay and am waiting for it to come in now. On a side note, the cpp people charge $10 difference to get a booster with a proportion valve and one without, but charge $75 to buy one by itself with the bracket. I am not a mathmatologist, but that's doesn't add up to me.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #16
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmaJct View Post
What about in '71? Just rebuilt my MC a few months ago, both front and rear reservoirs are the same size. I supposed an accurate question would be: "Did this change occur the same time they went to discs?"

Regards,
Mike
Just going off my memory of working on my '72..... apologies if it's not quite accurate, but that's how I recalled it.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
Kaptain Kadian

I finally got an email from Cpp, after 2 weeks, and that guy said that I had to change the master cylinder out as well. This is different than what the other guy told me over the phone. I checked the master cylinder that I have, and it does have a larger front cavity than the rear. I got in my proportion valve the other day. Should the master cylinder I have work?
Old 04-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #18
Kaptain Kadian

Now cpp is telling me that the drum/drum master cylinder is valved completely different than a disc/drum master cylinder. I don't know what to believe from them now. Dang it.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #19
no1udknow

I just pulled a mastercyl with booster from an 85 c10. used the lines from it and the proportioning valve, check out page 2 & 3 of the build thread in my signature. I used the entire front suspension and brake system from an 85, and then just got some couplers to hook the brake lines to the rear.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #20
RichardJ

From my post above, the size of the reservoir has absolutely nothing to do with the operation of the brakes, Nothing. It only becomes an issue if you never check the fluid level.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #21
Sklptrljay

I found this article helpful when I was setting up my brakes.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/brake-system.html

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #22
67chevemall

That is because CPP is a joke. Shop elsewhere
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #23
Kaptain Kadian

I have 3 guys there telling me 2 different things. 2 say it is fine, 1 says no. Pretty upset at this point. You would think the tech people would be on the same page.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #24
Kaptain Kadian

Now the proportion valve I ordered doesn't fit my brake lines. The hits just keep on coming. Cpp still has conflicting tech support. Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #25
leftybass209

Honestly, I don't deal with CPP for reasons like that. Their tech support is inconsistent.

Lets try and assess what you have, and what you need.

Why won't the lines fit? Are the lines too big, too small, wrong threads, not the right shape?

What CPP master cylinder do you have mounted on your truck right now? Is it from a disc conversion kit? Drum/drum? Do you know the bore size in it?

Do your best to be as informative as possible when describing the parts, model numbers, and issues you have with the parts- the more information we have, the easier it is to help get you on the right track. Best of luck.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote