The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
7tee

Wiper motor, CALLING DOCLOC...

Symptom, (2 speed unit)
Runs low speed in both positions and nothing from the washer when depressed...

A list of what I've checked with old motor and switch still in truck:

Wires hooked properly to both switch and motor
Removed switch and cleaned connections
Jumped light blue and black wire at harness and grounded them

Still one slow speed and no washer, so could we say the switch is good and the motor is bad? I've done a lot of search reading and just want to confirm or get other ideas before spending...thanks ed
7tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Wiper motor, CALLING DOCLOC...

sub'd: same issue in my K5 with a single, slow speed. I pulled a used wiper motor figuring that's the issue. Not eager to tear into my dash yet again if that can be avoided.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I haven't run into this problem before but I think there are really only a few things that can cause this. Bad motor, bad switch, bad ground, or binding wiper arm transmissions. I guess the ground would be the easiest thing to try first. Get a jumper wire with alligator clips on both ends. Connect one end to a good ground on the dash and connect the other end to bare metal on the wiper motor. (NOT one of the mounting bolts) If that doesn't make any difference move the wiper arms up and down (gently) and see if the linkage under the cowl vent is moving freely. It won't move far but you should be able to tell if the linkage or wiper transmissions are binding. If there isn't any problem there and there aren't any broken wires on the connectors, try replacing the switch. If that doesn't help I guess it would have to be the motor.

As far as the washers, they are almost a lost cause. You can buy rebuild kits but it is a crap shoot whether they will work after a rebuild, or for how long.....

If anyone else has any Ideas feel free to chime in....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-12-2015 at 09:53 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 AM   #4
jcd9730

Happened to me recently. New motor did not fix it, ended up replacing the switch itself and the motor works right now. I have the two speed as well. I didn't bother with the washer pump, so I can't say if that was why the pump didn't work, but it fixed the motor issue. I figured, is a new pump worth the money? I visit the gas station weekly as it is haha

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
jcd9730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
7tee

By removing the switch from the wiring harness and grounding the light blue and black wire together with no change in speed, would this not make you think that the switch is still good? I'll definitely try just re-grounding the motor case metal only. Thanks for help ed...
7tee is offline   Reply With Quote