The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
C10Greg

Custom Tailgate License Plate

I will be making a custom bumper for my 67 fleetside. I was wondering if any one had an idea for relocating the license plate to the tailgate with out having it look like a 90's mini truck.
C10Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Custom Tailgate License Plate

I think that look was so over saturated in the mini truck world there is no way you could pull it off without hearing the words mini truck. That being said, as long as you like the look of it, that's all that matters. As long as you steer clear of angling it sideways, that's a staple of the mini truck scene!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
SS Tim

What are you thinking of for a bumper?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
C10Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
I think that look was so over saturated in the mini truck world there is no way you could pull it off without hearing the words mini truck. That being said, as long as you like the look of it, that's all that matters. As long as you steer clear of angling it sideways, that's a staple of the mini truck scene!
That's the problem. I don't like the looks of it, but there's really no place to put it in my modified bumper. I am constantly looking at a lot of new vehicles which have the license plate mounted in a large recessed area on the face of the trunk. I have also thought about doing a flush mount plate, where the license plate would sit behind plexiglass molded to the tailgate and clear coated over so you can't see any seems. It would be similar to how custom motorcycles flush mount LED lights.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
C10Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
What are you thinking of for a bumper?
I have a rear roll pan with a modified and recessed 1967 camaro rear bumper. Well, that's what I am building.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10Greg View Post
That's the problem. I don't like the looks of it, but there's really no place to put it in my modified bumper. I am constantly looking at a lot of new vehicles which have the license plate mounted in a large recessed area on the face of the trunk. I have also thought about doing a flush mount plate, where the license plate would sit behind plexiglass molded to the tailgate and clear coated over so you can't see any seems. It would be similar to how custom motorcycles flush mount LED lights.
This was my thought, recessed plate box, about 1/2", with a lexan window flush with the tailgate surface. Thin strip of LEDs hidden up top for plate lights. All of this centered below the handle in a smooth non lettered tailgate.

Another idea would be to do the same, but offset the plate to the left, then on the right, find a donor tailgate, cut the letters up, and reuse the "C" and "O", along with one of the other letters modified to be the "1", and spell out C10 to the right.

But to be honest, I'd probably just recess a box in the pan in the center, to keep with the Camaro bumper theme. Or even do a retractable plate that tucks behind the bumper when you aren't driving. I know of a few guys that are running motorized versions of those up front in front plate states.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
67chevemall

I have a full roll pan and just used a SS hinge to mount the plate.....the string in the cab pulls the plate up for the toll highway and such....

The front plate I bull dog glued 6 of these bad a55 magnets to hold it anywhere...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-N50-S...-/191430292403
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
gottattooz

If you have a hitch receiver, you could make a plate mount that slides into the receiver with a trailer plug for the license plate light.

-Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
gottattooz is offline   Reply With Quote