The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
Kyle@FTP

1966 C10 Porterbuilt, Accuair build (The Outsider)

Fred's Truck Parts is not known for our prestigious builds and we don't really want to be. There is to many guys out there like Delmo Speed and Customs, Chevy's Only and Superflysteiny that build an amazing truck. We like supplying parts to guys like that as well as the guys doing it in their garage. But few month ago I was approached by a good friend of mine looking for a 64-66 short bed that he could use for his "pool truck". Matt owns Clear Expectation Pool Service here in San Diego. They are one of the best and largest pool and fountain service companies in town. After seeing the high standard that Matt holds his employees to I expected him to cut me no slack. Months of looking for the right truck, then it fell into our laps and the build began.

Check out the details and progress at Fredstruckparts.com

I will also updated the thread as we make progress
Attached Images

Last edited by chevy_mike; 06-04-2015 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Request for title change
Old 04-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
1963c-10

Re: "The Outsider"

Nice truck. Looking forward to watching the progression of the build!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 04-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
greg65

subscribed
1993 mustang gt

BUILD THREAD:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=336653
Old 04-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
JamieGallien

Love the shorties! Bring it on!
1972 Chevy C10 LWB Fleet
(factory auto/l6)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=580342
Old 04-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Lokin4AReason

looks solid ... any issue(s) w/ rust .. ??
Old 04-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
tinydb84

I'm interested to see what you come up with.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
Old 04-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
Kyle@FTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Nice truck. Looking forward to watching the progression of the build!!
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg65 View Post
subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGallien View Post
Love the shorties! Bring it on!
Its a LWB right now but after next week I will have that fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokin4AReason View Post
looks solid ... any issue(s) w/ rust .. ??
The bed is really solid. The whole truck is straight as an arrow. But the cab and front fenders have their fair share of rust. But it will stay rusty and crusty for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
I'm interested to see what you come up with.
it should make a very unique pool truck.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
Kyle@FTP

Interior is tore apart already and the painter is going to town doing his thing. A local guy did the restoration of the cluster for me. It turned out pretty good. Here is the before and after.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

signing up for this one!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
Old 04-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #10
Kyle@FTP

We have been making some good progress on the 66. Its a after hours project so we cant make the headway most shop do but progress non the less.

Interior is 80% prepped for paint. Need to prep the floors for the lizard skin and then final prep. Should be in primer this week. Then its time to mock the seat, pedal assembly and a few other odds and ends. Perro is sending down a high hump to covert over. Hopefully the interior is painted the end of next week.

all the old bed strips have been peeled out and a game plan for the bed shortening is under way. The UPS man has been busy and will be busy delivering parts for awhile.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #11
Justin@EntropyRad

following
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
"The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods" - www.EntropyRad.com www.speedcooling.com
Old 05-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #12
Kyle@FTP

Baby steps were made yesterday. The high hump got installed, all the underdash is out. now down to some detail work before paint. I also got the motor stripped down, pan off and checked a few bearings. All looked good. Soon as the new Holley oil pan shows up that can get put on along with some new valve covers topped off with a Howell harness.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #13
Jeff La

Man that truck looks solid, great find.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #14
Kyle@FTP

Lots of progress. Rockers and outer floors were shot so they have now been replaced, Holley oil pan is on the motor with a set of Delmo Valve cover adapter and the OG script valve covers.

Had a few issues with the chassis bulder so I now have it in my shop installing all the PB suspension, rebuilding the rearend and adding disc brakes.

I have to thank Nate and Dave from Porterbuilt. Those guys are a class act! as well as Travis from Pro Performance. The chassis was missing a few things when I rescued it and with a few phone calls those guys had everything in the mail to me so I can keep making progress. Ill try and post some pictures tonight.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #15
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I'm in to watch this one. Looks like it will be very interesting.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Old 06-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #16
Kyle@FTP

We had a great Saturday on the truck. Its amazing how much you get done when you work on it until 2am. I wasnt very happy with how the front end was put together so I pulled it all apart and reinstalled it all with the proper hardware and alignment. This was my first time installed a PB Drop Member and it was quite easy. I had to make a few small modifications to get the motor mounts and frame to play nice together but it was very straight forward.

The body guy has all the firewall holes filled, rust repair done and the interior is finally ready to shoot. Its going to be a long 17 days. The truck was supposed to be delivered to the customer for his birthday on June 17th but after the chassis fiasco it may not happen. But im going to try my best to make up for the lost time without sacrificing quality.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #17
Kyle@FTP

Again, Huge thanks to Travis at Pro Performance for rushing us chassis parts. Oh and the accuair is ready to go in.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #18
Kyle@FTP

Oh and before someone catches it, The bottom motor mount plate bolts will be getting replaced with the correct bolt and washers. This was just to align everything.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #19
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

What's it gonna have for a drive train? Nice looking truck.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #20
Kyle@FTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
What's it gonna have for a drive train? Nice looking truck.
stock 5.3 with a rebuilt 4L60E and a howell engineering harness and ECU. just a cruiser.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:10 AM   #21
Kyle@FTP

Todays Progress. All the interior body work is done, sealed and raptor lined. Give that a few days to dry while I finish the front and rear suspension. Its lofty, but I hope to have motor and trans in for the last time with the cab on the truck by end of next week.

Kyle
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #22
Theoutsider

Huge Thanks To Kyle at Fred's Truck Parts and DJ from Best of Show to bring the truck this far along. I am the proud owner of this truck and I just wanted to thank a few people for their help thus far. I personally don't have the time or skills to do what these two guys have been doing so far. I couldn't have two better people working on the truck to bring this build together.

As a Newbie to the truck scene but not a stranger to classic cars. I was really disappointed with one particular gentlemen in the industry. I am by no means someone to bash other vendors or try to ruin someones lively hood. However Travis at Valley Rod Design is giving the this industry a bad name. Travis promised that he would deliver a completed Porter Built Rolling chassis for a discussed price. He was paid cash in full upfront for the entire Frame, rollers, disk brakes, re built rear end front and rear bags along with all Porter Built Hardware. It was to be Turn Key. At least that's what I was told.

(Fast forward five weeks) Instead I received a frame with no rollers, drum breaks, 6 lug not five, a trans cross member that was a robbed from another truck and 1/2inch to long. Nothing tightened properly, missing washers on bolts, no front bags the wrong motor mounts. ( I could go on) When asked if he was going to make this right and deliver what he promised we were threatened with a lawsuit for slander if we said anything bad about him or his terrific craftsmanship.

The purpose of my post isn't to bash Travis, to be honest he was a nice guy. My purpose is to provide people like Fred's Truck Parts, DJ with Best of Show, Nate at Porter Built and Pro Performance in Arizona with a huge thank you for being awesome. They unlike Travis with Valley Rod Design have been a huge inspiration, motivation and nothing but help for this build. With out these guys I would have one mess of a truck. Instead we are on our way to awesome. I can't wait to continue to see progress and I as well as you all know that Travis won't last long. His empty promises, screwing over customers and sketchy craftsmanship can only go so far.

Stoked for continued progress.

Cheers.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #23
Kyle@FTP

First off, Welcome to the Forums Matt. I know you have been snooping around for awhile but congrats on the first post.

I have to jump on part of the grenade here as you already know but for the rest of the readers.

After I contacted Travis at Valley Rod and Design looking for a short bed frame, He told me he did not have a frame but a "complete PB chassis" and led me to believe he already had one done saying "I pulled it out from under the truck to replace it with a full roadster shop chassis. but there is no front shocks. Then "it will only take me an hour or 2 to finish it up" which led me to believe it just needed a few things. After talking with the customer we figured this would be great. I didnt have the time to build a chassis and this would get his project done quicker and would save a few dollars buying a used one. Being the week of Del Mar I figured he would be busy. I made a few calls to do some background on him. The few calls I made were all positive. Come to find out those people never had work done by him just said he was a good guy. I admit I let the excited emotion play into my decisions. I mean, I was getting a complete PB chassis to build a truck for a customer, who wouldnt be excited. So at this point I figured I'm getting a chassis, I paid him the money owed and then it began. I would call and he would tell me one thing. I would write down notes to order parts accordingly (disc/disc proportioning valve, 5 lug wheels, etc) then via text was a different or very vague story. after 5-6 weeks I finally told him I'm coming to pick it up we are now way behind schedule. When I showed up, it was far from complete and missing parts.....A lot of parts. On top of it was 6 lug and drum in the rear. I wont comment on the work done, "quality work" means different things to different people.

At the end of the day it is my fault for not getting a detailed written agreement and assuming his word was good. He led me to believe it was done and complete and I believed him. Im a believer in a handshake agreement. I guess in business thats going away.

One thing I do know is when it leaves my shop the work will be to my standards, complete and the customer will be happy, because in the end thats what matters. Matt paid for X and that needs to be delivered.

Kyle
Old 06-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #24
Theoutsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle@FTP View Post
First off, Welcome to the Forums Matt. I know you have been snooping around for awhile but congrats on the first post.

I have to jump on part of the grenade here as you already know but for the rest of the readers.

After I contacted Travis at Valley Rod and Design looking for a short bed frame, He told me he did not have a frame but a "complete PB chassis" and led me to believe he already had one done saying "I pulled it out from under the truck to replace it with a full roadster shop chassis. but there is no front shocks. Then "it will only take me an hour or 2 to finish it up" which led me to believe it just needed a few things. After talking with the customer we figured this would be great. I didnt have the time to build a chassis and this would get his project done quicker and would save a few dollars buying a used one. Being the week of Del Mar I figured he would be busy. I made a few calls to do some background on him. The few calls I made were all positive. Come to find out those people never had work done by him just said he was a good guy. I admit I let the excited emotion play into my decisions. I mean, I was getting a complete PB chassis to build a truck for a customer, who wouldnt be excited. So at this point I figured I'm getting a chassis, I paid him the money owed and then it began. I would call and he would tell me one thing. I would write down notes to order parts accordingly (disc/disc proportioning valve, 5 lug wheels, etc) then via text was a different or very vague story. after 5-6 weeks I finally told him I'm coming to pick it up we are now way behind schedule. When I showed up, it was far from complete and missing parts.....A lot of parts. On top of it was 6 lug and drum in the rear. I wont comment on the work done, "quality work" means different things to different people.

At the end of the day it is my fault for not getting a detailed written agreement and assuming his word was good. He led me to believe it was done and complete and I believed him. Im a believer in a handshake agreement. I guess in business thats going away.

One thing I do know is when it leaves my shop the work will be to my standards, complete and the customer will be happy, because in the end thats what matters. Matt paid for X and that needs to be delivered.

Kyle

Can't wait to see your business continue to grow and be successful. All the building blocks are in place! Keep up the good work my friend.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #25
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle@FTP View Post
stock 5.3 with a rebuilt 4L60E and a howell engineering harness and ECU. just a cruiser.
That'll be cool.
Closed Thread