The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Ironhorse

Identify Original 2 & 3 Core Radiator by Dimensions?

Recently was at an auction with a LOT of older car and truck parts. Acquired a radiator which is marked Harrison with no tag or numbers stamped on the tanks. Looks to be good shape altho used. VERY similar to what I recall I replaced in my truck which was the original 2 & 3 core, rotted and was able to replace with a 4 core setup. Any identifying marks I can use to be able to tell it is GM original to that era truck? Dimensions between tanks, height, etc , the necks seem to be in correct position altho lower neck is straight and not curved upward. Seems to be in good condition altho shows has been used with some scale inside. Any tips to positively identify original application. Box it was in was marked "4 pickup" LOL
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
Custom/Ten

Re: Identify Original 2 & 3 Core Radiator by Dimensions?

I think you have no answers because there's no such thing as a 2 and 3 core radiator(as far as I know anyway). There is a two core, a 3 core, and a four core. 3 different kinds.
Custom/Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
michael bustamante

i had an old harrison that had 2 cores and the tanks were 3 cores. weird huh. it worked well though
Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Custom/Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
i had an old harrison that had 2 cores and the tanks were 3 cores. weird huh. it worked well though
Ok that makes sense, I was wondering how a rad could have 2 and 3 cores, wouldn't that make 5 lmao. Maybe he's got your old rad haha.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Custom/Ten

Lightbulb Re: Identify Original 2 & 3 Core Radiator by Dimensions?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1682
Size:  41.5 KB if this is what your talkin bout I can measure it out for you. I always just called it a 2 core but it looks like the tanks could have 3 cores.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Ironhorse

Okay, poorly worded on my part, LOL. I was referring to the upper 2 core or 3 core radiator support brackets and looking for length / width dimensions on the center core itself. Sometimes my brain gets in a hurry from my hands when I'm typying.

Found out what I needed to know today after taking it to the one and only radiator shop left in Wichita. Older guy there took one look and said it was a late 60's to early/mid 70's GM radiator. Said the General used that radiator for a LOT of vehicles back at that time. Suitable for Chevelles, Monte Carlos, Novas, Pontiacs, Olds, Buicks, etc. with a straight lower outlet and even the 67-72 trucks by changing the lower straight neck to the up-turned neck as used on our trucks. Said overall looked to be in really nice shape with no readily apparent leak issues. Gave me an estimate of $75-$100 for value being an original Harrison radiator from that era.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 04-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #7
Highlander72

If you guys really want to get nit-picky, these radiators have only one core...but it could have one, two, three, or four ROWS of tubes.

</nitpicky>

Old 04-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #8
Custom/Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander72 View Post
If you guys really want to get nit-picky, these radiators have only one core...but it could have one, two, three, or four ROWS of tubes.

</nitpicky>

Indeed
Old 04-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
leftybass209

The easiest way to know what you have is to open the cap and look at the core from the inside. 2 row will have 2 tubes side by side. 3 row will have 3 tubes side by side. They are the same depth though. 2 and 3 row use the same brackets- same depth.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
michael bustamante

nit pickers.......... haha
you know the cool thing about this site is we all know what eachother is talking about even if we dont know what were saying.
i was saying cores but in my mind i was thinking rows. just joshin you man
see that rad in the plastic bin in the pic? thats exactly what mine looked like. if its still got NM sand in it it could have been mine!
Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
67 cst swb

To further clarify..
There are effectively 4 different radiators originally put in these 67-72 trucks, possibly more, but these are the main ones. there is 2, 3 or 4 row radiators (number of rows flowing from tank to tank)
There is one with a 26-3/8" wide core (measured from tank seam to tank seam) it is a 2 row radiator. This is typically a 6 cyl radiator
There are 3 with a 28-3/8" wide core (measured from tank seam to tank seam)
First is a 2 row. It is about 1-3/8" thick at the core. Typically a small V-8 non-AC radiator.
Second is a 3 row. It is about 2" thick at the core. Most common V-8 radiator or good upgrade for any non-AC small V-8 or 6 cyl.
All the radiators listed above have the 2-3/4" tank thickness (measured front to back), this is the portion that fits into the rubber saddle mount. You can use any of the above mentioned "tanks" and have "re-cored" with the 28-3/8' by 2" replacement core. There used to be a 2-3/8" option for a replacement core. Not sure if its still out there.
The only variation of the above tanks is whether or not it has Automatic Transmission cooler/fittings in the passenger side tank.
Now...
Lastly, there is the 4 row radiator
It is the same 28-3/8" wide at the core, but it is 2-5/8" thick at the core.
It is also 3-1/2" thick tanks on it. If you upgrade to this radiator, you will need to change to the 4 row saddles and rubber mounts. People have put this radiator in the smaller (2 & 3 row) saddles, but this took some massaging and clearancing to work, as it is not intended for the smaller mounts.
All the above radiators are the same core height of 17" (16-7/8")
All the above radiators tank are the same height of 18-5/8" (difference being the thickness of either 2-3/4" (2 or 3 row) or 3-1/2" (4 row).
All above radiators were originally copper/brass construction.

Now, some people have purchased replacement radiators and they have been a aluminum core - plastic tank radiator with 2 rows. This works fine for most replacement application.
There are also numerous all aluminum radiators out there of various quality and construction. Depending on the tank seam type and construction. You may end up with an issue with it fitting into the saddle properly. The closer the aluminum radiator tanks resemble the OE tank style, the less problems you will have.

Hope this helps.
I know it a little too much info, but I just thought I would put it out here.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #12
Ironhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
To further clarify..
There are effectively 4 different radiators originally put in these 67-72 trucks, possibly more, but these are the main ones. there is 2, 3 or 4 row radiators (number of rows flowing from tank to tank)
There is one with a 26-3/8" wide core (measured from tank seam to tank seam) it is a 2 row radiator. This is typically a 6 cyl radiator
There are 3 with a 28-3/8" wide core (measured from tank seam to tank seam)
First is a 2 row. It is about 1-3/8" thick at the core. Typically a small V-8 non-AC radiator.
Second is a 3 row. It is about 2" thick at the core. Most common V-8 radiator or good upgrade for any non-AC small V-8 or 6 cyl.
All the radiators listed above have the 2-3/4" tank thickness (measured front to back), this is the portion that fits into the rubber saddle mount. You can use any of the above mentioned "tanks" and have "re-cored" with the 28-3/8' by 2" replacement core. There used to be a 2-3/8" option for a replacement core. Not sure if its still out there.
The only variation of the above tanks is whether or not it has Automatic Transmission cooler/fittings in the passenger side tank.
Now...
Lastly, there is the 4 row radiator
It is the same 28-3/8" wide at the core, but it is 2-5/8" thick at the core.
It is also 3-1/2" thick tanks on it. If you upgrade to this radiator, you will need to change to the 4 row saddles and rubber mounts. People have put this radiator in the smaller (2 & 3 row) saddles, but this took some massaging and clearancing to work, as it is not intended for the smaller mounts.
All the above radiators are the same core height of 17" (16-7/8")
All the above radiators tank are the same height of 18-5/8" (difference being the thickness of either 2-3/4" (2 or 3 row) or 3-1/2" (4 row).
All above radiators were originally copper/brass construction.

Now, some people have purchased replacement radiators and they have been a aluminum core - plastic tank radiator with 2 rows. This works fine for most replacement application.
There are also numerous all aluminum radiators out there of various quality and construction. Depending on the tank seam type and construction. You may end up with an issue with it fitting into the saddle properly. The closer the aluminum radiator tanks resemble the OE tank style, the less problems you will have.

Hope this helps.
I know it a little too much info, but I just thought I would put it out here.
Now THAT is some information there, mucho appreciated. Will be running that off with the printer. Great information, thanks for posting that.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 04-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #13
snj8198

yep, we need to sticky that. i'd print it off but i'd lose it. then i'd never find this thread again.