The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
the hippie mechanic

71 C10 Longbed Work Project

Hello there, I'm the hippie mechanic. I'm a "young 'un" who enjoys cool cars, music, and mountains. I'm currently a college student building projects on a college budget and going to school for mechanical engineering. Mopars are my favorite but I'm not one to discriminate between brands. If it rumbles and burns a quart of oil every 200 miles it's cool in my book. If you ever see a young guy with a scraggly beard wandering through a junkyard in a tie-dye shirt somewhere around PA, it's probably me.

I was in need of a work truck so about a month ago I picked up a green 71 C10 fleetside longbed that I found on Craigslist. It has some pretty sweet aluminum mag wheels and a cool 70's woodgrain/gold leaf pattern on the glovebox and guage cluster. I'll post pics of the woodgrain when I get a chance. It was in pretty good shape (or so I thought) so I paid the man and limped it home the the shop. I knew that it needed a new windshield, exhaust manifold, bumpers, a turn signal marker, tires, and a tune up. That list soon grew to include body mounts, holes in the floor patched, brakes, parking lights, and electrical gremlins defeated. The electrical gremlins are what pushed me to join the forum, and I'll post about that soon. So far the exhaust manifold has been swapped out, fluids changed, signals and parking lights working (sort of) and the old body mounts out. As of now I have the parts I need to get the truck inspected but no time to install them. It's going to be about a month before I get time again unfortunately. The PO managed to snag the grill with his snow plow and bust the truck's teeth so I swapped in a fresh grill as well. The miss-matched hood bugs the bejebers out of me but it'll have to do for now. I may get around to starting a build thread when I get time to work on the truck. That's all for now, folks.
Attached Images

"Rust is a major food group."
"Burn 'em if you got 'em."
the hippie mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
flashed

Re: 71 C10 Longbed Work Project

Im in to see what you do with it ,already looks better with the grill .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:34 AM   #3
the hippie mechanic

Re: 71 C10 Longbed Work Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Im in to see what you do with it ,already looks better with the grill .
Thanks flashed! The new grill helps hide the headaches inside I'm not sure what route I'll take with it once it's roadworthy, probably just enjoy it running and driving till I get funds for some goodies.

"Rust is a major food group."
"Burn 'em if you got 'em."
the hippie mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote