The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
Bladeboy1998

a few questions about blazers

I am looking at a 1972 blazer in carrollton ohio. I was talking to the guy and he said the spid is gone, but it has/had ac, and it was a military edition. I didn't think there was a ilitary edition of the 1st Gen blazers, I thought that was 84-86 cucvs. Am I wrong on thinking this? I am a little bummed that the spid is gone but I would not go all original so it dosent really matter. He said there is a little rust around the windshield, I have heard NIGHTMARES about fixing this. I am new to body work but have a buddy that can help.
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4955064610.html
it doesn't look like a military blazer, more like a light olive.
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
swyfor5

Re: a few questions about blazers

Nope, I'd stay away. Might be a good k5, but not up straight info up front. If your still interested, check into it more.
swyfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
Bladeboy1998

Oh I will for sure check into it more, it sounds like he doesn't know what he has. I have been searching for a good blazer for over a year and this is the first one even worth looking at. I see you're from Marion, Mi. I am just finding more people around this area.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
71swb4x4

The ad says it's a month old, I wonder why? Certainly no CUCV in 1972. Check it over real well for rust. Post pictures of any rust and we can tell you what to expect. The black painted under the door has me concerned, could be a mess of bondo that they covered up with that paint.
That could be a great blazer for a great price, but you need to make the blazer prove that it's worth it. Don't go in expecting a $4,000 blazer, go in picking it apart and see if it's worth the money.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
The ad says it's a month old, I wonder why? Certainly no CUCV in 1972. Check it over real well for rust. Post pictures of any rust and we can tell you what to expect. The black painted under the door has me concerned, could be a mess of bondo that they covered up with that paint.
That could be a great blazer for a great price, but you need to make the blazer prove that it's worth it. Don't go in expecting a $4,000 blazer, go in picking it apart and see if it's worth the money.
Ok, I was pretty sure there was no 1st Gen mil blazers. It does scare me that it is a month old, but I don't know. He said "rusty around windshield floorboards 85% solid quarters need a patch tires nothing special" I quote.

I have heard the old trick of the thin magnet on the doors to check for bondo, if it sticks there is very little bondo, if not, there is a lot of bondo. I just asked him if all the hatch hardware is there, if not, most likely no deal. I dont want to search all over eternity for the parts.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
turp mcspray

I would be way more scared about Ohio rust, than a missing spid!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
I would be way more scared about Ohio rust, than a missing spid!
Agreed 100%! The rust scares me, the spid is just more of an annoyance. I would like to have it.

Would I be shunned if I had a new spid recreated for the finished product? I won't try and sell it as that.(most likely because I won't ever sell it) I was thinking a faux highlander
Old 04-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #8
Onalaska Blazer

If it has a clean title what's the problem' It is worth what it's worth to you. ?

If you suspect a false title check.. it looks like it has a body lift. If so you should be able to check the frame for a serial stamp number.

On mine it is stamped on the top of the frame rail on the driver side frame about center between the back of the drivers door and the rear tire.
Onalaska Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onalaska Blazer View Post
If it has a clean title what's the problem' It is worth what it's worth to you. ?

If you suspect a false title check.. it looks like it has a body lift. If so you should be able to check the frame for a serial stamp number.

On mine it is stamped on the top of the frame rail on the driver side frame about center between the back of the drivers door and the rear tire.
I am going to ask him tomorrow about the title. To me, think it is worth 4k. I almost paid that much for 2 trucks.

I will check for a frame number, will I be able to match it to the body? Is it just the Vin for the frame? I know it is on the body too.

Thank you guys for all of your help! I really mean it. If there is any more things to really look out for, please don't hold back!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
ajviper

Looks like it has 3/4 ton axles to me. Big yellow Spicer Hubs. It also looks like it had auxiliary fuel tanks at one point. The picture is too blurry to tell for sure. I would make sure the title is clean. The windshield rust would probably scare me away. It can't hurt to go check it out.
1973 Nova SS 355 TH350 2.73 Posi 12 Bolt
2000 K2500 Suburban LS 6.0 4L80 3.73 G80
2005 K2500HD CCSB LS 6.0 4L80 4.10 G80
2010 2SS/RS Camaro LS3 T56 Aqua Blue Metallic
ajviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #11
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajviper View Post
Looks like it has 3/4 ton axles to me. Big yellow Spicer Hubs. It also looks like it had auxiliary fuel tanks at one point. The picture is too blurry to tell for sure. I would make sure the title is clean. The windshield rust would probably scare me away. It can't hurt to go check it out.
You answered my other question! So they are 3/4 ton axles. I wasn't sure if they could be 6 lug with 4:56 gearing(is that even a thing?)

Yeah the picture is blurry, he said he will try to get more.

So check title, windshield frame rust, axles, other rust, anything else not mentioned above?
Old 04-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #12
bamachem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeboy1998 View Post
You answered my other question! So they are 3/4 ton axles. I wasn't sure if they could be 6 lug with 4:56 gearing(is that even a thing?)

Yeah the picture is blurry, he said he will try to get more.

So check title, windshield frame rust, axles, other rust, anything else not mentioned above?
The fenders have been replaced and that is a 69-70 grille and bumper so the front end could have seen damage at some point. Look carefully at the frame and the core support up front. Under the hood is a mess. No air filter, alternator on wrong side of motor, wires all over the place...

I would be very weary and very critical of every square inch, especially underneath looking for rust.
Posted via Mobile Device
bamachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:07 AM   #13
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamachem View Post
The fenders have been replaced and that is a 69-70 grille and bumper so the front end could have seen damage at some point. Look carefully at the frame and the core support up front. Under the hood is a mess. No air filter, alternator on wrong side of motor, wires all over the place...

I would be very weary and very critical of every square inch, especially underneath looking for rust.
Posted via Mobile Device
First off, I LOVE your Blazer in your avatar, university if Michigan colors!
Yeah I originally thought it was a 69-70 and he mislabeled it, it was just a clip change.

Adding core support and front frame. I didn't even notice the alt on the wrong side. I have an air cleaner that will work. Yeah I am going to take a curved mirror and crawl around and look for rust.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #14
briank

Windshield frame rust isnt too bad to replace...i think a lot easier than rear pillar..rocker box area etc, just measure measure measure. I wouldnt worry about the partial frame vin matching the title but make sure the body tag matches the title. Frame may have been replaced as is one of mine because one of had been a plow truck in the salt belt and they hacked off the front of the frame fit a plow.
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #15
NTR72GMC
2wd FTW!!!!

Looks like it has or had auxiliary tanks and if it did they cut out the rocker boxes to put them in. The rocker boxes are your main body support for when the top is off.
NTR72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:48 PM   #16
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

FWIW - the engine or at least heads likely not correct give location of the alternator and may preclude easy addition of the missing AC components. Is that a 3/4t dual diaphragm brake booster?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #17
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
FWIW - the engine or at least heads likely not correct give location of the alternator and may preclude easy addition of the missing AC components. Is that a 3/4t dual diaphragm brake booster?
I won't be messing with ac so not much of a worry. I noticed that the alt is on the wrong side, so what chevy engine had the alt on that side? if it is a 3/4 ton brake booster, it is fine by me, as long as it was done properly.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #18
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTR72GMC View Post
Looks like it has or had auxiliary tanks and if it did they cut out the rocker boxes to put them in. The rocker boxes are your main body support for when the top is off.
I see that, I hope they didn't cut the rocker boxes, but I guess I could fix them if need be. I want to beat up the frame a little too, I will be doing some hauling, nothing too heavy though.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #19
turp mcspray

Quote:
I won't be messing with ac so not much of a worry. I noticed that the alt is on the wrong side, so what chevy engine had the alt on that side? if it is a 3/4 ton brake booster, it is fine by me, as long as it was done properly.
69 up cars, and 73 up trucks used the long water pump setup, with alternator on the passenger side.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #20
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
69 up cars, and 73 up trucks used the long water pump setup, with alternator on the passenger side.
So is there the possibility that the engine is out of a newer truck or possibly a period car?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #21
Keith Seymore

Quote:
I will check for a frame number, will I be able to match it to the body? Is it just the Vin for the frame? I know it is on the body too.
If it is the original frame then the partial VIN will match the body (plant code plus six digit sequence number).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #22
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
If it is the original frame then the partial VIN will match the body (plant code plus six digit sequence number).

K
Thank you! I will look for this if I go look at it, hopefully he has it next weekend, finger crossed (sort of)
Old 05-02-2015, 08:54 PM   #23
Moreyel

Man, that's a lot of money for so few pictures.
Thinking of putting a 50 Chevy cab on a 76 Chev 4 WD pickup.

Members Met: Aldtime, DeadheadNM
Moreyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #24
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreyel View Post
Man, that's a lot of money for so few pictures.
And bad ones at that...

He said he couldn't get more either, it is an awfully long drive to just go look. I don't want to make 2 trips so I would have to take a trailer, and get 12 mpg. Thee goes 300 in fuel just going there!
Old 05-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #25
71swb4x4

He can't get more pictures because it's a rusty pile and he doesn't want you to know it.
See if you can find a board member that is close that will look at it for you.