The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
One Chevy Scotty

Making of a daily driver, not a daily broke ass rig

OK,

So I have resigned to drive the 72 K20 at least one full day a week. For a long time it only got out of the barn on nice pretty weekend days, but she deserved much more love than that

So, I got a new carb from Sean at SMI....it puke gas out the top no matter what we did, so now it sits under my counter at the shop. I got the original carb going well enough that I can tolerate it's quirks. Sometimes the throttle sticks a little bit with zero peddle...some lube on the shaft will cure it for a few weeks, but it always seems to return.

The HEI has killed two of the optical breakers, the third one has held up for 3 years now....as long as I don't hook up the factory tach it will hang OK. The three prong connector was getting loose and arcing internally, so I put a brand new WeatherPack style connector and it is dying randomly a lot less

I have put some really good exhaust gaskets and collector gasket seals on it and now the state inspector doesn't laugh at me any more.

It still lacks a radio, but the voices in my head keep me plenty occupied/entertained.....

I have not plumbed the enormous auxiliary fuel tanks, but really ought to do that....

With the Ethanol revolution around here, I can no longer find E0 fuel, so I am limited to 10% Ethanol and it seems to have a lower boiling point, and that is leading to hours of frustration. It seems that if I sit still at a light, or idle at the gas station, the truck will vapor lock. I was sold some aluminized reflective heat shielding to put over the steel fuel line between the fuel pump. I just put it on tonight and we will see if it works. I suspect that the myriad of fuel lines that run from the tank to the selector switch and around the headers is probably not helping either.

I broke my rule about buying anything from LMC and got a replacement antenna mast, turn signal switch (my wife broke off the hazard light switch handle and it has also stopped self-cancelling the turn signals....I also sprung for the hardware to hand the spare tire under the bed as GM intended.

I REALLY love driving the truck and I get a lot of positive comments and offers to buy the truck, but the little things are eating me up inside.

I am on the hunt for the correct Ram's Horn manifolds with the 2.5 outlet so that I can ditch the headers.....any idea where to find some really quality castings?

I have toyed with the idea of putting a fuel pump with a return line to the tank, but I am waiting to see if the reflective covers do any good.

Someone said that I should mix some diesel with the gas to raise the boiling point of the fuel, but that seemed suspect at best.

I have realized that it takes tremendous patience and dedication to drive a classic, but if I can get all of the bugs worked out, I will have the truck of my youthful dreams

Any comments & suggestions are welcome.
One Chevy Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Making of a daily driver, not a daily broke ass rig

With the vapor lock issue, you can do what most do for Edelbrock carbs. That is, to get a low pressure fuel pump, and a phenolic carb spacer or thick carb gasket. The spacer cooled my carb down well. I've been purposely testing my truck idling with the hood off and 100+ degree temps around here testing my radiator and carb fixes and everything is working like a dream so far.

As far as the ram horns, my pops purchased an off brand set, and I'm fairly impressed with the quality of them. the casting is thick. It's hard to judge cast iron but they are crack and leak free so that's something.

As far as LMC.....
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
Mmorgan32

I used to get vapor lock living in central California where it's well over 100 degrees everyday, it's not original but if you go on summit they sell an edelbrock 1/2 inch carb spacer that's a heat resister and I ran a braided fuel line from the pump to the carb. Stopped it right away
Old 06-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #4
picklito

I run a phenolic spacer on mine, too, and the darn thing just runs and runs.
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Making of a daily driver, not a daily broke ass rig

Well no picture of said daily driver. Huh!
This is my daily and it's not a broke ass rig!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Hook'em

I'm always dealing with something on my old truck. Right now it is a transmission leak, heater core leak, fan speed switch wires get hot on low or medium, wiper fluid won't work, etc. I just find ways to deal with it until I have the time to properly repair. The hassle is worth being able to drive the truck to work a few days a week.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Making of a daily driver, not a daily broke ass rig

I drive mine everyday to work. I have also driven it on the Hot Rod Power tour the past 2 years putting over 3000 miles on it both times in 7 days.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
Mmorgan32

My truck is my daily driver. It's kind of a beater, seats all torn, a/c don't work, and I'm currently tracking a mysterious oil leak I love driving it and I'd drive it over anything. But I do drive my wife's Tahoe when it gets to be like 105 outside lol
Old 06-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
One Chevy Scotty

Pictures, springs, fuel issues....

I had been poking along with not much progress other than paint and minor mechanical issues.

Last week, I had enough of people asking me if it was 4 wheel drive - for Pete's sake! see the really BIG front hubs? and solid front axle?

So, finally broke down and got all new leaf springs. bushings, u-bolts, hardware, ect to put it back to (what I think anyway) is what the 1972 factory ride height should be - 41" at top of fender well in the rear and 39.5 in the front.

I tried a carb spacer before, but that is not the real problem....I still use that spreadbore monster that came on the truck in 1972....I have had three different shops re-build it and finally got Sean to build me a real functioning one.

The vapor lock is not coming from the fuel in the bowls boiling....the headers are putting out so much heat that the fuel in the lines boils before it even makes it to the fuel pump.....now, here is where it gets interesting....The truck was equipped at the dealer with twin aux tanks in the bed, they are huge. I pulled them, had them abrasively rolled and cleaned, re-sealed, and painted the body color. The tanks are well made and even have multiple baffles inside. I have not hooked them up since I re-installed them after the final paint.

There is a three-way fuel valve beside the driver's seat on the floor. The sheer length of steel/cooper fuel lines that lay underneath the floor boards is staggering.....

I have been running the AC a bit the last few days and the truck is running noticeably hotter according to the dash gauge....it is not overheating, but it is pretty close to 210-220 @ 70MPH. When stopped at a light, I can feel a tremendous amount of heat rising up between the cab and the bed (slider window-arm hung out).

I am beginning to think that the headers have to go and the system needs to get re-plumbed with better components. I like the sound of the headers, they really don't leak since I bought really good gaskets and keep them snug, but dang they soak everything with heat.

I have a buddy trying to get me some Corvette Ram's horn type as replacements (2.25" outlet should do for my little 350). I will locate a decent shop and get new 2.5" aluminized pipe run with some decent mufflers.

I did get a wild hair and re-install the spare back under the bed where it won't be sliding aorund in the bed....I forgot how really heavy the 3/4 steel wheels with E rated tires are - I hope not to have a flat any time soon.

The truck has a 'performance' type of flex fan that came with the truck. It does have the correct fan shroud for the 4x4 (really long) and the fan fills it up. I think that this model would have come with a viscous type of fan clutch and 5 blade steel fan - is that right? should I go back to the factory style fan and clutch assembly?

Oh, and for the pics...I snapped some quick ones this Am for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Sklptrljay

Very nice looking truck - medium olive green poly, my favorite color!

It will be worth getting the bugs out and having a solid driver. Sometimes though if I'm being honest with myself, I kind of like having a little something go wrong with my truck, it gives me an excuse to tinker with it.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
Mmorgan32

That thing looks amazing. That's how I want mine to sit in the front mine has a rugged rake right now pretty sure the front springs are just gone. U can wrap the headers or your fuel lines. I have the ram horns pretty happy with them
Old 06-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
Sklptrljay

Btw, you might be running your carb too lean. It will really heat up the engine, .....it will run stronger but it's bad long term for the engine.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Coley

Smile Re: Making of a daily driver, not a daily broke ass rig

Great looking truck!!
Nice to see these trucks without 33" tires on them in an overjacked condition.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #14
MARKDTN

Good looking truck!

As far as manifolds, you can get '92-'96 Corvette LT1 manifolds. They are cast and have a center dump and are 2 1/2" outlets. Beware of cracked ones. Remove the heat shield and make sure they are not cracked. The '84-91 Tuned Port Corvette exhaust manifolds also have a 2 1/2" center-dump outlet and look like shortie headers.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
NASTY-LSX

Re: Pictures, springs, fuel issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Chevy Scotty View Post

Oh, and for the pics...I snapped some quick ones this Am for your viewing pleasure.
That is 1 sweet ass truck!!!
NASTY-LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #16
One Chevy Scotty

A friend who builds engines for a living sent me a link to Summit Racing #SUM-G9200.

Has anyone bought and used these on a 4x4 w/350? How do they hold up over time?

I can not seem to find a decent exhaust place in town that will mount the manifolds and run the new pipes ect. They want me to strip the headers, mount the new ram's horns, then have it towed to their place so they can much up the rest of the job....anyone from around SATX have a good guy?

I hit up O'Reily Auto parts for the replacement fan and clutch...they have a cheap ass fan clutch, but no fan )other than the crap flex fan that I am already suffering through. Is there a decent stock replacement?

Did the factory fan require a spacer and longer bolts on the 4x4?

How many blades did it come with originally?

I am beginning to think that the flex fan is not moving enough air when the truck is at a light and that is contributing to the heat problem, as well as the headers just cooking everything around them.

Has anyone had their cast manifolds coated? I have heard that it works well with headers...maybe that will help as well?

Thanks for all the insight guys (and for the positive comments )
Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #17
Mmorgan32

Don't buy chrome it will flake off right away. Most exhaust shops won't mount them they don't want to be responsible for braking off a bolt or having to remove anything to get your headers out. They make a pant you brush on for the manifolds it works good. Some auto parts stores sell it I know summit does. It's a high temp paint. As for the clutch fan you can go to a pick n pull and find one. Chevy used them for many years if all else fails call summit and ask them about it. I think they have 5 blades
Old 07-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I would route the fuel line away from the headers more. Then there is wrapping. You can't beat a proper working Quadrajet. Spread bore is the best idea yet. What is the condition of your radiator? These trucks run cool when everything is right. I run a 180 deg. thermostat in mine, It never gets anywhere close to 200.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #19
One Chevy Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I would route the fuel line away from the headers more. Then there is wrapping. You can't beat a proper working Quadrajet. Spread bore is the best idea yet. What is the condition of your radiator? These trucks run cool when everything is right. I run a 180 deg. thermostat in mine, It never gets anywhere close to 200.
I had the radiator out two or three years ago and had it rodded out.

I have a new four core that I may swap out when I change the fan and clutch.

I have never had the thermostat housing off of the motor, but she never really ran warm (except when the water pump crapped out).
Old 07-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #20
manimal

That is a sweet truck!
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #21
CST10

Ditto on the sweet looking truck. I like that color and it's a LWB.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #22
9teen69

I put the 7 blade fan and thermal clutch on mine. I could tell a difference in cooling and also less drag on the motor. Got mine here: http://www.classicindustries.com/sho...parts/?q=G8355. Picked up the thermal clutch at AZ.

I have stock exhaust manifold I got thru Summit because my bolts stripped off in stock ones. The casting is good but they have the ports for emissions...ugly. One day maybe I can get the bolts out of the originals. I tried a pair from http://www.stevensparts.com/ in Ft Worth but the casting was really sloppy, they refunded.

I also run a 1 inch spacer on my carb.

A little far from you but I've heard good things about 183 Muffler in Lockhart.

Awesome looking truck!
70 Camaro RS (daily driver backup)
69 Custom LWB C10 (son now drives)
9teen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #23
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Nice truck! I bought some ram horns with 2.25 or 2.5 inch outlet from Speedway. They are for the old vettes but are nice because the outlet is straight down like a stock 4x4. May have to grind off alternator mounting ear but not a big deal. I would probably just run stock ram horns with smaller outlet if you are running low rpms most of the time.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #24
dangileri

sweet looking truck and good luck n your progress!! Im attempting to make a 72 lwb 4x4 a daily, it should be fun
dangileri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #25
imjeff

I've been daily driving mine for a dozen years. It's well worth it and keeps them going. I just broke down and bought a radio (from Antique Auto), but since I haven't had a truck payment in twenty years or so, the sting isn't too bad. Of course mine is "overjacked" with 33's. Keep plugging along!

Jeff
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote