The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board > Blazer and Suburban Stuff

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
bamachem

FOR SALE: 69-72 Whitco (Dealer Option) Soft Top - Parchment White

I am selling my original Dealer Option Whitco Parchment White Soft Top purchased new with my truck in 1972. Own a piece of K5 Blazer history!

IT IS USABLE WITH MINOR WORK, BUT NOT ANYWHERE NEAR PERFECT CONDITION.

Asking $300 OBO plus shipping or pickup. Make me an offer! I travel all over the SE for work, and may be able to meet someone.

Here's a pic of it on the truck last summer.

The top will be usable with minimal work. The front plastic "lip" that goes along the windshield has cracked and broken from age. It either needs to be replaced or just remove it and change the front mounting system over to snaps.

I have the rear support bows and the bed rails. Straps are good and work well. There are two small (less than 2") holes directly over the rear seat where a mouse chewed on the top in the previous owner's garage. The two front "dog ears" at the leading edge that are supposed to snap to the windshied frame are torn off. They are only there to keep the front from sliding side-to-side, and won't be needed if you change over to a snap system. I have only SOME of the front support system by the driver and passenger door windows. I have the verticla supports, but I am missing the horzontal supports and I am missing the window header.

On condition, the vinyl is in surprisingly good shape. I have only used it a few times due to yellowed and cracked side windows. I basically used it for shade in the summer, and I used it one time in the winter and just taped the crack with some clear packing tape.

Overall on a scale of 1-10, I would give this top a 3, and that is based on the condtion and overall age. Since it's a "3" out of "10" and a new top is $1000, I figured I'd ask $300. I'm open to reasonable offers understanding that the next owner will spend a couple hundred at an upolstery shop getting it fixed up for use.

I'm sure there will be requests for additional pics, and I plan to get it mounted on my 72 and take some in the next few days.

Last edited by bamachem; 06-29-2015 at 04:09 PM.
bamachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Blazerowner

Re: FOR SALE: 69-72 Whitco (Dealer Option) Soft Top - Parchment White

So it basically just slips over the lip on the windshield header and no drilling?
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
bamachem

No, but in that pic that's exactly what I did and it worked fine. There is a plastic C-channel that is sewn to the front lip. There is supposed to be an aluminum header bar that is shaped to fit above the drip rail on the windshield that the channel connects onto. I don't have that header piece, so I slipped the channel over the drip rail as a get-by to use it for some shade last summer. It is that C-channel on the front lip that is dry rotted and cracked/broken and needs to be replaced. If the repair shop chosen for the work ordered the correct channel with a large enough opening, then *YES* the drip rail on the windshield header could in fact be used to secure the front of the soft top, but that repair will be up to the next owner.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Blazerowner

The reason I asked is because I wanted to see if there is a design that does not require snaps and drilling of the header. Do you know how the bracket for the channel attached?

Last edited by Blazerowner; 06-30-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
bamachem

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=262974

This thread has the only pic of the windshield header I've been able to find.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:00 AM   #6
Blazerowner

Thanks for the link. Seems like a great deal good luck with the sale. I paid close to 1100 for my top from softopper so this leaves a lot of meat on the bone for repairs.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #7
bamachem

No problem. I just ordered my new Softopper yesterday so I definitely feel your pain on the sticker shock side of it.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
mtully79

I'll take for $250 plus the ride. Shipped to 23456 in Virginia Beach.

Let me know what you think.
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #9
bamachem

mtully79 - I'll accept your offer.

On shipping, I can do UPS, FedEx and Greyhound. On the support bows and the bed rails, they are pretty large so they'll have to be wrapped up and taped in order to ship since they are all one-piece units. I would imagine that there will be three shipments.

Please take a look at the thread link I posted above. It has some pics of the support steel that is included with the top. Again, I do not have the windshield header or the two horizontal supports at the driver and passenger window as they weren't provided to me by my truck's previous owner. However, they should be fairly simple and easy to recreate based on those pics.

Package 1 would be the support bows. They are awkward and would be best to ship strapped/wrapped together. Package 2 would be the bed rails. They are very small and look like 3/4"X3/4" angle steel, but are the full length of the bed sides in one piece. I would strap/tape the two rails together and ship them. Package 3 would be the soft top material and a bag filled with the hardware.

I would think that the two larger ones should go greyhound, but there is another option. I could use an angle grinder and a 1/8" wheel and cut the bows and bed rails in two. This should dramatically reduce your shipping costs. Then on your end, you would need to re-assemble the bows, but the bed rails could be left in two sections.

Let me know. I'll shoot you a PM with my phone number if you want to chat about it.

Last edited by bamachem; 07-01-2015 at 03:20 PM.
bamachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #10
mtully79

I'd prefer not to cut anything up. I'll give you a shout and get it all figured out.

Matt
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #11
bamachem

Payment received. Thanks Matt.

Top is SOLD.