The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Aruba1

GPS tracking

I know there are a lot of threads out there that owners reporting to have ignition cutoff switch, etc. But I am afraid that someone wanting to steal my truck can have it towed and that beats the purposes of having these old school tricks. Does anyone has GPS tracking on their trucks? I am talking about just those little devides that you can install in your truck (under the dash, seat, engine compartment, etc) and that allows you to track the location of your truck. I see them on ebay going from anyone of $25 to over $200.

Worst case I have an old iphone 4 that I can hide in my truck and get the Track my Iphone service that is free. And hardwire it so it can always be charged. I can get a cheap basic plan for $10 or $20 a month and 10 cents of MB of data when I have to track my truck. Anyone? Any ideas? My truck is not a concours restoration but having a 5.3L, NV4500, 19.5 wheels, etc, it has some value for me and probably for some thieves.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
jackyl9999

Re: GPS tracking

http://www.lojack.com/

1990 K1500 Daily

jackyl9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Aruba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl9999 View Post
Not available in Alabama? I wonder why, lol, they don't steal automobiles here?
Old 06-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
cherokeejohn

DeWalt makes a GPS tracking system for use on tracking work trucks. This can be used for what your looking for as well. they are rechargeable, lasts almost 2 weeks, but I'm sure you can hardwire them. the trackers are about 2" x 2" square. The tracking system is a program you install in your computer. I was a repo agent for 5 years and they were quite helpfull to me. I think there are a few other company's now doing the same thing so try searching for company vehicle tracking programs. Hope this helps...
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
Big Kev-O

Ignition kill switch is pretty much pointless in my opinion, it can always be towed or hot wired. It's pretty hard to hide wires in out trucks. Trackers are great but it doesn't prevent your truck from being stolen. Picked up a Viper two way alarm for $100. Installed door switiches and a switch on my hood. Easy job.

Open my door or hood the alarm blasts, keychain notifies me and I come running.

Go aheah and steal my wife just don't touch my truck or bike!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
Aruba1

I like the idea of the two way siren but my concern is that the truck may go mobile (being towed) and that may be too late. But I do like the idea of the dewalt gps system. I found one on ebay for a reasonable amount. I just need to call ATT to see if these have a special cell rate since it will use data only (I believe).
Old 06-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
Aruba1

This video has what I had in mind but I want something that I can actually see the movements, if any. Warning to viewers, be patient, this 13 min could have been condensed in a 2 min, lol.
http://youtu.be/ZW6HnHSKHVc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
One Chevy Scotty

Try Rocky Mountain Tracking.....they work off of GPS and cell towers. There is a module to control special functions IIRC
One Chevy Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
dazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruba1 View Post
Worst case I have an old iphone 4 that I can hide in my truck and get the Track my Iphone service that is free. And hardwire it so it can always be charged. I can get a cheap basic plan for $10 or $20 a month and 10 cents of MB of data when I have to track my truck. Anyone? Any ideas? My truck is not a concours restoration but having a 5.3L, NV4500, 19.5 wheels, etc, it has some value for me and probably for some thieves.
I was looking at doing this a few years back and now that my truck is almost ready, probably will. IRC, you can cut the phones charging adapter and connect it to always have 12v. Not sure about the iPhone connector, I was going to use an old motorola. Just remember to have the phone set on silent/no vibration because if you have to use it to track your truck, you don't need it to be beeping in the thief's hideout!
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #10
Aruba1

Interesting, "Find my iPhone" will play a sound regardless if the phone is on mute or the volume is lowered all the way. Kinda nice way to alert the thieves when you are about to walk in on them. I believe the iphone will be the best and cheapest option. Even if the truck's battery is removed, one will still have plenty of time to access the phone's location, and it's more user friendly than the GPS trackers on the market.