The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
leftybass209

What's my car worth? Cheyenne Super

I always see people asking what their truck is worth. I'm a firm believer that it's worth what someone will pay.

However, for those that need a number....

On the show What's my Car Worth, they had a 1971-72 Cheyenne Super SWB, big block truck on. The truck was restored top to bottom. It was a buckets and tilt column truck. The host Keith gave the truck an "A" rating in collectability (on a scale from F to A) and a "1" in condition, and predicted the truck would sell for $45K at a Barrett Jackson auction. The owner claimed $50K and the truck actually sold for $47K.

He's more often than not correct to the dollar, and rarely off more than a few thousand. This is the opinion of a non-biased classic car enthusiast, on a truck so clean you could eat off of, and easily over-restored beyond factory appearance.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
saskman02

Re: What's my car worth? Cheyenne Super

I also seen the show last night. Very nice truck. Agree with everything that was said. Just wondering how much of the price increased considering it was sold at Barrett-Jackson?? They also didn't say if the $47k selling price included the 10% buyers premium.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
leftybass209

There's no premiums with that, it's the hammer sold price. Being Barrett Jackson I'm sure it was easily 5k over a more realistic value. I don't want to speculate too much, but that truck at another auction would probably be 35-40k
Old 07-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

A truck expert will know best. And that was Barrett Jackson, not exactly the standard for judging real world value on anything. That said, I have seen such trucks go for much more and not at an auction

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
jocko

Any pics? I missed, gonna have to search on DirecTV! If as nice as you outline, that was probably ball park for an auction like that. Would be less if you bought it from a private seller I believe. The real question is "was it originally ordered like that or was it a recreation"? Curious. Unless you're talkin Shelbys and COPOs, the auction world doesn't seem to care much about truck originality - just how shiny is it today and how nice are the woodgrained bed stakes that they MUST sell right outside the door, because it seems every truck has em, especially the 50's..... (can you tell it kinda drives me nuts?) Anyhoo. I'd love to see it, thanks for mentioning.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
A truck expert will know best. And that was Barrett Jackson, not exactly the standard for judging real world value on anything. That said, I have seen such trucks go for much more and not at an auction
I agree with you. Barrett Jackson has some of the most over inflated prices I've ever seen. I also agree that I've seen trucks sell for less and for more. I think the problem with an expert, is some (not all) tend to become biased because of the intricacies they know, that an average enthusiast may not.

That being said the number may be more of a testament to Keith's knowledge in regards to the selling of classics and exotics, but the proof was in the quote and hammer price. I do like auctions for the sheer validity of value. There is an evidentuary record of bought and sold with plenty of witnessess, instead of backwoods hearsay... like the elusive corvette option and 454 powered 71-72's.

I like that show because they often give a generic auction history of the low, high, and median prices, not of just a particular auction, but of many recorded public auctions.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
ho70

Buyer pays additional 10% fee and seller pays additional 8% unless it is a charity car. So add 18% to price at all BJ auctions
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Sounds like a good show ,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote