The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
scanman

Need best Med Fawn Metallic Code Match

I'm looking for new paint code to match our interior Med fawn Metallic interiors . Paint dealer said old codes wont work anymore. Single stage. Thanks
scanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
pimpston65

Re: Need best Med Fawn Metallic Code Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanman View Post
I'm looking for new paint code to match our interior Med fawn Metallic interiors . Paint dealer said old codes wont work anymore. Single stage. Thanks
not true, they still have codes for lacquer. try painters supply and equipment in lincoln park. they have em, $100 a quart
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:06 AM   #3
Steve66

I'm at work now but when I get home I'll post what I used and where I got it. It's a good color.
Steve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #4
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

I called customer services at DuPont and they told me to tell the supplier to call them.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Steve66

OK, I'm home now and found the numbers. Here's where I got it http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/
The color isn't on their chips but you can order it from that page using the number I listed.
And this is what is says on the label.

TCP22121
1963 Oldsmobile Sahara Mist
Code T

I used Acrylic Urethane and it worked out fine. It's not an exact match and it's a little glossier than the original but it looks good. I'll try and take a picture if you want. My truck is a 66 so I have the dark fawn on the dash and I have a number for that too if you need it.
Steve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
vince1

For those content with using a rattle can I've found the DupliColor Nissan sunlit sand to be a very close match.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
theastronaut

2003 Nissan Sunlit Sand, code "EVO" is a good match. I sprayed Spies Hecker basecoat reduced 50%, then added 15% hardener to that volume to get a finish that looks much like the original lacquer. Adding the hardener gives it a slight sheen and helps seal the basecoat so it's more durable. It's still not as tough as clear or single stage, so you've got to be careful about what you clean it with. Keeping spray furniture polish (Pledge in aerosol can) on it helps a lot.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #8
scanman

OK, I purchased the Nissan Sunlit Sand which is a good match and much cheaper than Lacquer. Also purchased a Clear top coat called "Hot Rod Clear" that allows you to mix in different ratios to acheive a desired finish from flat to semi-gloss, and provide the necessary durability & hardness for longevity. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
theastronaut

You might want to try mixing some base coat into the clear. That way you'll have the pigment and metallic particles on the top surface and not buried under the clear. Satin clear can sometimes make metallics look milky; adding some base into the clear should take care of that without hurting the durability.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Okay, this is what I did in a single stage acrylic urethane.
I had PPG mix me a custom color in Shopline JAU. This color started with Toyota, Sleek Ecru, Brand Code: 925450, Main Layer: 925450, OEM Code: 4U7. To this I had them add 45 parts or J72 (Bright Metallic). Then, before I sprayed it. I dulled it down with matting Agent to match the original 60% gloss of the original paint. I used a ratio of 4 parts paint, 1 part hardener, 1 part One Choice matting agent, and 3/4 parts reducer. I turned out to be a perfect match to my original paint (in my opinion).

I don't have my cab together yet but here are few of pics.
Attached Images

Last edited by Metalaroundstone; 07-19-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #11
scanman

My paint ratio is 1:1 with reducer, so is it compatable to just add my hardener directly to my paint without interfearing with the tint?
Old 07-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
My paint ratio is 1:1 with reducer, so is it compatable to just add my hardener directly to my paint without interfearing with the tint?
Opps, I left out the hardener in my previous post. The PPG Shopline paint I used has a mixing ratio of 4 parts paint, 1 part hardenner, 1 part matting agent, and 3/4 part reducer.

Last edited by Metalaroundstone; 07-19-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: missed something
Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote