The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
jweb

GTO alternator issues

I'm installing an '04 GTO engine and the stock alternator location doesn't work with the Dirty Dingo mounts. I am thinking of using a relocation kit from CBR performance , this would move the alternator up high on the pass. side. It also changes to a CS130 alternator. Then I will need to adapt the wiring of the new alternator , which I really don't understand no matter how much I read about it.

Is there a better option? Or more info on the wiring if the is my best option.

Relocation kit $180
Alternator $100
Wiring/adapter ??
Posted via Mobile Device
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: GTO alternator issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I'm installing an '04 GTO engine and the stock alternator location doesn't work with the Dirty Dingo mounts. I am thinking of using a relocation kit from CBR performance , this would move the alternator up high on the pass. side. It also changes to a CS130 alternator. Then I will need to adapt the wiring of the new alternator , which I really don't understand no matter how much I read about it.

Is there a better option? Or more info on the wiring if the is my best option.

Relocation kit $180
Alternator $100
Wiring/adapter ??
Posted via Mobile Device

GTO's are Australian (Holden) cars, They use a Mitsubishi alternator (& starters), The Alternator isn't PCM controlled, Resisted voltage through the Charge Indicator bulb excites the regulator & the alternator charges.

The Mitsu alternator bolts in place of CS130 alternators in '98-'02 Camaros.

I'm 90% sure your Mitsu alternator will work on the relocation bracket, Save $100 bucks, Reuse your 140 amp alternator instead of a 105 amp CS130 & you don't have to buy a regulator plug.

Call CBR & ask them if a CS130 out of a 4-gen V8 Camaro will work with their bracket.....
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:46 AM   #3
jweb

Thanks for the information, the bracket I ordered is for a CS130 alternator so I will try my original first.

How will the charge indicator bulb work on a swap since I wont have that hooked up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
clinebarger

Quote:
Thanks for the information, the bracket I ordered is for a CS130 alternator so I will try my original first.

How will the charge indicator bulb work on a swap since I wont have that hooked up?
Posted via Mobile Device
You can just run an Accessory Ignition Voltage to the Alternator with a Resistor in line (At least 80 Ohm's, I use a 400-500 Ohm)

Or you can hook up a Charge Indicator Bulb inside the truck, Run an accessory hot to one side of the bulb & the other side will go to the "L" terminal. This Bulb will light up if the Alternator stops charging, A nice feature to have. A incandescent bulb must be used....A LED won't work.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
jweb

I got the relocation bracket and the original alternator won't fit, bought a CS130 alternator and it fits perfect. The GTO alternator is 1/2" longer than the CS130 so it hits the head.

Now to figure out the CS130 wiring, the new plug has all black wires.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
clinebarger

Quote:
I got the relocation bracket and the original alternator won't fit, bought a CS130 alternator and it fits perfect. The GTO alternator is 1/2" longer than the CS130 so it hits the head.

Now to figure out the CS130 wiring, the new plug has all black wires.
Posted via Mobile Device
Does your CS130 have a external fan or internal fan? The Regulator plug is different on the two.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Does your CS130 have a external fan or internal fan? The Regulator plug is different on the two.
It has an external fan, I got a new plug from Napa (part#EC101) but it has 4 black wires. It looks like you can ID the wires on the plug, I think they are S,F,L,P.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
clinebarger

Quote:
It has an external fan, I got a new plug from Napa (part#EC101) but it has 4 black wires. It looks like you can ID the wires on the plug, I think they are S,F,L,P.
Use the "L" Terminal. Wire it as shown either with a resistor or a Bulb....
Old 07-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
jweb

First off thanks for all the help. So just to be clear the Large S wire can go to the battery or starter and the L wire to a resistor on an ignition wire

Sorry I'm having a hard time with the diagram
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
clinebarger

Most CS130 alternators don't use the "S" (Sense) Terminal, The Regulator will sense Internally off the Charge Post. You only need the "L" Terminal to Turn the alternator On.

I have seen CS144's use it, But mostly in "GM-Upfitter" builds like a Hearse/Limo/RV/EMT/Special use work trucks.