The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
aod92

Routing headlight harness a clean way?

Looking for some ideas on a clean way to route my headlight harness. Every way I'm running mine it looks messy. What are some of your ideas that you've done to clean things up. Thanks
aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
lovemy71s

Re: Routing headlight harness a clean way?

On mine right after the big plug I ran it inside the fender I guess you would say to the first headlight then I ran it under the radiator support to the other side. Left it all tucked down, mine is also a new painless kit so I had extra wire to work with. Its currently tore apart but should be back in the shop in a couple weeks to get its powerplant returned I could maybe get pics then if you needed.
lovemy71s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:31 PM   #3
aod92

Yeah if you could post some pics that would be great
Old 01-20-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I'm speculating, because I've yet to pull my front end, but seems the GM way is the way.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:53 PM   #5
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I'm speculating, because I've yet to pull my front end, but seems the GM way is the way.
My trucks been apart so long I don't remember the gm way lol.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:09 AM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod92 View Post
My trucks been apart so long I don't remember the gm way lol.
Yeah, I kind of figured that. Well, hopefully I'll be into my front end (currently cab) within the next four months, and I keep very good notes. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you now.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:20 AM   #7
drewbert41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy71s View Post
On mine right after the big plug I ran it inside the fender I guess you would say to the first headlight then I ran it under the radiator support to the other side. Left it all tucked down, mine is also a new painless kit so I had extra wire to work with. Its currently tore apart but should be back in the shop in a couple weeks to get its powerplant returned I could maybe get pics then if you needed.
Same here.
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:32 AM   #8
'68 Newtricks

I just went inside the fender to the driver side light and then used some nice loom up over the radiator and to the passenger light. When it's all in loom, it looks fine, unless you're going for some show truck you'll never have to work on out in the cold on the road side
Old 01-21-2016, 12:40 AM   #9
lovemy71s

Quote:
Yeah if you could post some pics that would be great
I will be to the farm tomorrow and see if its all still intact and I can get enough light in the storage building to get a couple pics. Its been sitting for a couple years
Old 01-21-2016, 01:44 AM   #10
FirstOwner69

The original routing was actually pretty clean. GM ran the harness from the bulkhead plug over the top of the left inner fender (along with the washer hose) out of sight on the backside of the left fender where it was secured by one or two barbed fittings pushed through holes in the fender toward the engine. When it emerged from the front of the inner fender, it ran to the left headlight and parking light then into a plastic conduit over the top of the core support to the right headlight and parking light. The harness from the junction block on the right fender to the voltage regulator and alternator also runs through the conduit. Below are the best pictures I have available. They are before the front clip was installed. In the second picture you can see one of the barbs protruding from the wrapped wire harness just to the left of the closest white harness strap. You can ignore the red 10 or 12 gauge wire in the pictures. That is the hot wire for the optional factory camper harness.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 01-21-2016 at 01:50 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:47 AM   #11
FirstOwner69

Just for reference, this is how the wires to the alternator were secured to the inner fender.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #12
KY_GMC

While you are at it, add some relays for the head lights. Its a cheap upgrade with significant benefits and it is pretty easy to do with a new harness.

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
davepl

Just don't use the LMC "relay upgrade" harness, it's miswired (at least for the GMC) and you have to fix it before you can use it. I mean go ahead and use it if you can find the threads about it so you know what's wrong with it, but until they get a new batch (unless they already have) that's wired right, they're a pain.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Routing headlight harness a clean way?

Under the fender to drivers head light then over to passenger light under the gutter on the radiator support.
Making your own relay kit is a lot cheaper and it's simple enough to do.

Using plastic wrap are the original wrap will help also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #15
aod92

I'm not really good with wires. What's the advantages of running relays?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
Sklptrljay

Quote:
I'm not really good with wires. What's the advantages of running relays?

It allows smaller wiring (size/amperage) to control a relay (switch) that allows full power from the battery to a device.

In our trucks case the headlights get power through the headlight switch. It doesn't sound like much, but running from the battery, through the switch, and connections, then back to the headlights, is a pretty big power draw. Running a relay will really help the lights be brighter and save stress on the old original wiring. A starter relay is a great idea too.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #17
aod92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklptrljay View Post
It allows smaller wiring (size/amperage) to control a relay (switch) that allows full power from the battery to a device.

In our trucks case the headlights get power through the headlight switch. It doesn't sound like much, but running from the battery, through the switch, and connections, then back to the headlights, is a pretty big power draw. Running a relay will really help the lights be brighter and save stress on the old original wiring. A starter relay is a great idea too.
Ok now you have me curious. How does the starter relay work? I did an ls swap and I have the purple ignition wire to the small post on the starter and a heavier gauge wire to the bigger post straight from the battery.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #18
Sklptrljay

Quote:
Ok now you have me curious. How does the starter relay work? I did an ls swap and I have the purple ignition wire to the small post on the starter and a heavier gauge wire to the bigger post straight from the battery.
So right now, the purple wire is carrying the power through the ignition circuit to the starter in order to engage the solenoid and allow the starter to operate.

With a relay the purple wire only operates a tiny switch that sends power straight from the battery to the solenoid and basically bypasses the current flowing through the ignition (purple) wire.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 PM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Routing headlight harness a clean way?

On the head lights you would splice into the high beam wire and low beam wire at the drivers side light. You would need 2 relays one for High and one for low.
Which in the picture below you would tie the wire for high onto #86. Then on the low bean tie to #86.
Then on #87 you would go back to both high beams are low beams.

#30 would come straight off the battery with a 40amp fuse inline.

#85 would be grounds for both relays.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #20
aod92

Thanks guys. I'm gonna look into doing this
Old 01-22-2016, 01:44 AM   #21
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Just don't use the LMC "relay upgrade" harness, it's miswired (at least for the GMC) and you have to fix it before you can use it. I mean go ahead and use it if you can find the threads about it so you know what's wrong with it, but until they get a new batch (unless they already have) that's wired right, they're a pain.
Here's a good diagram for the GM Headlight relay wiring.

Name:  GMC%20Headlite%20Relay%20Diagram%201.jpg
Views: 7361
Size:  31.0 KB

Quote:

Here is a relay that controls the starter solenoid. If you have good clean connections and a good battery and starter you should not need it. JMHO

Name:  solenoid04.gif
Views: 3674
Size:  4.3 KB

86 is the purple wire and 30 can be connected at the starter solenoid on the large cable.

I love to get a chance to show this.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655903

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #22
Daryl87

Going to tackle headlights and starter wiring today, so thanks to everyone for the great input in this thread. Thanks VetteVet for the diagrams!
Daryl87 is offline   Reply With Quote