The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Coach529

ride height limit switches

Just a little back ground info......I am an electrician who works with a lot of limit switches and automation stuff everyday!!

Has anybody ever used some simple limit switches on there air ride set up to set exact ride height, or is going off pressure good enough?

I was thinking a limit switch at each wheel. They are fairly cheap ($28.00 each) and small.

You could use the limit switch to fire a LED. LED lights up, you are at desired ride height.

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Coach529

Re: ride height limit switches

Anybody??

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 01-27-2016, 03:36 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Most people on here use accuair or just go by psi,Your kinda on your own if you want to make your own system like that.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

I think it's a cool idea. I don't know much about those switches but you seem to have a handle on them. Why not give it a shot at that cost?
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Coach529

I am new to air ride.......so maybe this is a silly question.

How consistent is your ride height when going off air pressure?

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 01-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach529 View Post

It's pretty close, until your load changes. But if you drive your vehicle with bags long enough, you know when it's level and when it's not right.

I'm using Accuair E-level, because like most, I can't stand a lowered vehicle that leans or sags and I don't have to worry about watching pressures.
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Advanced Design

Quote:

Coach, I think that is a simply brilliant idea! Not wanting to spend the big money for a control system, I designed a system (with a friends help) that used a level sensor from a newer Tahoe, digital 5 v reference source and digital display. It works fine. Just have to design the sensor mounts and links. Harness and display mounts too.

Your system will basically do the same I think, depending on how precise you can be with the air switch. Could your limit switch activate a different light if you are too low or too high?

My truck was a pain with varied loads. Had to get out and eyeball ride height.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
youngrodder

I too think this is a good idea. I have an old air ride set up in my 48 that has not ride height sensors. I can tell you its not perfect. If I drop the system all the way down (aired out) and then go and add air to the system to drive off. I end up adding more air PSI than my normal drive height.

I already purchased an accuair set up for the suburban. Considering how many people might be ridding in that. My manual set up in the 48 does not compensate if you have a 400 lb (exaggerating) person in your passenger seat. You might have the front still set at 90 PSI but you could be scrapping because of you heavy passenger....You follow?

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #9
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Coach, I think that is a simply brilliant idea! Not wanting to spend the big money for a control system, I designed a system (with a friends help) that used a level sensor from a newer Tahoe, digital 5 v reference source and digital display. It works fine. Just have to design the sensor mounts and links. Harness and display mounts too.

Your system will basically do the same I think, depending on how precise you can be with the air switch. Could your limit switch activate a different light if you are too low or too high?

My truck was a pain with varied loads. Had to get out and eyeball ride height.
Typically these switches have a couple sets of contacts in them one Normally Open and One Normally Closed. I would use a set of normally open contacts. Bring power to the switch, once your truck gets to ride height the lever would hit a target, and the contacts would close and you would send power back to the cab to fire a light. I was thinking a small LED. One for each wheel.

The way the switch is made it is either off or on, like a light switch. Below ride height the light would be off, at ride height and above the light would be on.

I suppose you could set up multiple switches firing multiple light for different ride heights.

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 01-28-2016, 12:06 AM   #10
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
I too think this is a good idea. I have an old air ride set up in my 48 that has not ride height sensors. I can tell you its not perfect. If I drop the system all the way down (aired out) and then go and add air to the system to drive off. I end up adding more air PSI than my normal drive height.

I already purchased an accuair set up for the suburban. Considering how many people might be ridding in that. My manual set up in the 48 does not compensate if you have a 400 lb (exaggerating) person in your passenger seat. You might have the front still set at 90 PSI but you could be scrapping because of you heavy passenger....You follow?

Marc
That makes perfect sense.......and that is what I am trying to avoid.

If I have a load from the lumber yard in the back......I want to be able to hit the switch and raise it until the light comes on.......and drive home. Not have to eye ball ride height. Plus make it more used friendly if my wife or daughter (Gasp) drive it.

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 01-28-2016, 12:09 AM   #11
Coach529

LED's.

http://www.oznium.com/led-indicator-light

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 01-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Typically these switches have a couple sets of contacts in them one Normally Open and One Normally Closed. I would use a set of normally open contacts. Bring power to the switch, once your truck gets to ride height the lever would hit a target, and the contacts would close and you would send power back to the cab to fire a light. I was thinking a small LED. One for each wheel.

The way the switch is made it is either off or on, like a light switch. Below ride height the light would be off, at ride height and above the light would be on.

I suppose you could set up multiple switches firing multiple light for different ride heights.
Problem with that is, when you actually drive and the suspension cycles up and down, it's going to look like a disco in the truck with all the lights flashing.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #13
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Problem with that is, when you actually drive and the suspension cycles up and down, it's going to look like a disco in the truck with all the lights flashing.
True, but that is pretty easy to solve. You could put the hot wire going to the switches on a toggle switch.

I plan on putting the LED's, along with my gauges and switches behind my speaker grill so you will only seem them when it is open.

Similar to this:

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 01-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #14
SCOTI

I like the idea. I've spoken to our plant engineers regarding something like this for my manual air set-up (paddle valves/gauges). We use several types of limit/position switches in our manufacturing facility.

Like stated, the indicator lighting could be on a toggle switch. Air it up until the LED's indicate height is @ set-point, then flip the switch so that as the susupension cycles the lights aren't blinking.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: ride height limit switches

Why not just do it in reverse. Where I work a light on means problems.

No lights on means everything is working correctly. So why not have the light go out when at ride height, that way as stated you don;t have to worry about them.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #16
SCOTI

Because as you travel the switches will move as well & you'd still have to work around blinking lights.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: ride height limit switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Because as you travel the switches will move as well & you'd still have to work around blinking lights.
Yes I realize that but at least you don't have them on all the time is what I'm getting at. They may not be a concern if like he said he puts them behind the dash but if it where where they where seen all the time I would be wanting to cut them off. As stated it's going to be like a disco floor once driving though.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #18
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Why not just do it in reverse. Where I work a light on means problems.

No lights on means everything is working correctly. So why not have the light go out when at ride height, that way as stated you don;t have to worry about them.
I really like this idea. A light on a dash usually means there is a problem.

The disco effect while driving could be easily eliminated by wiring the light feed circuit through a park neutral switch.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #19
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
I really like this idea. A light on a dash usually means there is a problem.

The disco effect while driving could be easily eliminated by wiring the light feed circuit through a park neutral switch.
That would work great as well.

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 02-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #20
southsider

Or you could run the signal wire to your valve solenoid through the Normally Open contacts. You get in hit the toggle switch, it will go up until the limit switch is made and then it will drop the signal to the solenoid. After that, if you pick up a load of fat girls, you hit the toggle switch and it will raise until the limit switch is made again. Food for thought...
southsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #21
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsider View Post
Or you could run the signal wire to your valve solenoid through the Normally Open contacts. You get in hit the toggle switch, it will go up until the limit switch is made and then it will drop the signal to the solenoid. After that, if you pick up a load of fat girls, you hit the toggle switch and it will raise until the limit switch is made again. Food for thought...
That would be great. I am running full manual so unfortunately it will not work for my set up.

MK

"Adventures of Henry"