The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
Mrturner1

Who knows how to port camel hump heads?

Hey guys, I just finished my engine build and now I have a bunch of parts Latin around. One of the things that came off the old motor is a set of 492 casting Camel Hump heads. They have 2.02 1.60's and heavy duty valve springs. I've heard that these heads can make 500hp if the right guy ports them. I have no use for them currently, but if they are gonna just sit on the shelf I was thinkin send them to "the right guy" who can make them sing. Any leads are much appreciated.

I love learning the history on our trucks and the parts they use, so any cool info on 492 camel humps would be great! Far as I can tell from reading, these were on corvettes in the late 60's early 70's?

Matt
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Mrturner1

Re: Who knows how to port camel hump heads?

Here's a pic, they are really dirty still but I'm going to clean up and paint
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #3
Mrturner1

Casting
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Grumpy old man

I'll do so bartering with you on something we talked about already ! Barters always better !

Don't bother cleaning them . if any porting is to be done they need to come apart and may as well change the valves/springs and use hardened seats . Now there not so cheap are they ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 03-17-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
hugger6933

Vortecs are better as far as getting the most power out of them. It has been said in almost every mag out there except maybe Mustang Monthly. Now someone needing some old iron to put on a 327 for the dates to be right now that is a different story. I have a 327 they would be nice on and my 400 in my one ton has some but I was thinking they didn't have the acc holes. if they did [same for my 327] I would put A serpentine off the old tbi trucks on my truck[s]as they look and perform well and is a popular upgrade.
as far as porting those heads to make 500 horse, I may have to call BS on that one. Maybe with a 150 shot of nitrous?Later on. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
hugger6933

on the vortecs those same mags said they were worth 40 horse more than any other chevy head[production]but I don't suppose you have any of those laying around . I'm getting off now I seem to be rambling.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
burnin oil

^^^
What he said. Camel humps where the hot ticket but anymore they are only worth the money to someone who wants stock. With porting they can flow pretty well but after that you have as much money in them as a new set of aluminum heads that will kill them in combustion chamber design and flow. Nothing wrong with them and are definatly better than smog heads but the cost is the killer. Now if you could do the work that would be a different story.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I agree with the others. Camel hump heads used to be the gold standard, but not so much now-a-days.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
I agree with the others. Camel hump heads used to be the gold standard, but not so much now-a-days.
Agree. Sell them to someone restoring a Camaro or Corvette and buy Vortec or aftermarkets.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
Mrturner1

I already put a nice set of heads on the new build, I'm not actually looking for heads I'll try to find the article about the guy making 5-600 horse with camel humps. It was a pretty interesting read. Somebody commented on it in my build thread too so maybe I'll find out what that guy knows.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #11
Mrturner1

I can't find the article, DANGIT! I do know the motor they were on was a 331 stroker, and the man with the magic porting hands nickname was "Da Grumps" must have been one heckofva builder. I'll keep looking for the article
Old 03-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #12
Grumpy old man

Don't look too far , Send them to me I have an engine to throw that old garbage on Barter is always better !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #13
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Don't look too far , Send them to me I have an engine to throw that old garbage on Barter is always better !
I KNEW IT!!!! I was betting my fiancé on whether or not there was a connection! Haha that's awesome.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #14
hugger6933

Matt, look up Grumpy Jenkins aka da grump. You bet you last dollar he knew his stuff. He was a very highly sought after builder for his ability to make small blocks and big blocks too kick major buttocks. He at one time ran a small block [very well] in the category known as Pro Stock in the NHRA. He was a innovator and a visionary. He was if I'm not mistaken the very first to run a tube chassis car. He did stuff with a small block back in the 70's and early 80's that most can only read of or dream of.
Now if you hadn't guessed it I was a fan of Grumpy back when I was a kid. One of the most famous pics of him he is laid out super model style on a bearskin rug with the famous cigar he chomped on with him in a swinsuit if I remember right.When I was younger My heros were Grumpy Don the snake and Connie Kaleta. Oh and I liked jungle Jim[ most loved jungle Pam] If you would love some amazing reads look up some of those drag raging larger than life people.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #15
hugger6933

That is if your too young to remember them [witch I'm assuming you are from the sounds of your posts]Please dont take that as a knock.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #16
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
I can't find the article, DANGIT! I do know the motor they were on was a 331 stroker, and the man with the magic porting hands nickname was "Da Grumps" must have been one heckofva builder. I'll keep looking for the article
I had those heads on my '69 Camaro back in the day, when they were "the head" to have. I was also running them on a 331 (not a stroker, just a 327 punched out .030). I also changed out the press in studs for screw in studs. You rip one rocker off at higher RPM and you don't use press in studs ever again

I don't know about 500hp, but I do know I was running 12.9 in the quarter at around 103MPH (with horrible 60' times and bad street tires), so I know there was some good power there.

As others have already said, those heads are pretty much worthless these days, unless you're looking for a numbers matching resto.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #17
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
That is if your too young to remember them [witch I'm assuming you are from the sounds of your posts]Please dont take that as a knock.
Not at all, I am sure it's brutally obvious in some posts lol sounds like some reading is in order
Old 03-18-2016, 05:38 AM   #18
30 a truck

I have a set also. When I was planning the engine for my truck, I talked to a friend of mine who happens to build drag engines in Spartanburg, S.C., former IHRA Champion, He said the same thing, cost too much to make them good unless you want a numbers matching car. They are sitting on the shelf wrapped in plastic now waiting on someone who wants them worse than I do. Some dirt track guys like them also depends on the division.
30 a truck is offline   Reply With Quote