The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
brown7373

2 Perfect 72 Cheyenne at AACA National in Naples

Neither of these are mine, but the meadow green & white one caught my eye because it is nearly IDENTICAL to mine. Only difference of factory equipment is mine had door edge guards and I added a factory slider window and Chevy Rally wheels. These trucks are owned by brothers and are truly the nicest I have ever seen.
Attached Images

brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
F.A.A.benny

Re: 2 Perfect 72 Cheyenne at AACA National in Naples

How big is this show? I'm from florida and don't think ive heard of it.
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
dfwright

Did you happen to notice what brand those lovely whitewall tires are?

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
72 Super

Man, those are both nice trucks! I really like the Medium Green one.

Ray
Old 03-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
kehstr

talk about nice trucks!!
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
geunther

Both are stunning. I will save the engine compartment photo as a good reference. If it would be possible Id like to have the originals for a higher resolution. Or others if you had.
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
brown7373

Naples-Marco Region AACA have a show about this time every year. It used to be at the old train depot, but this year at the Tech school, because it was an AACA National Meet, which obviously attracts the best. There was over 200 cars there. Both trucks ran BF Goodrich Silvertown bias ply whitewalls from Coker Tire. AACA is for restoring to correct factory standards, and it is a MAJOR deduction for running radials on vehicles that didn't come with them.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #8
engineer_gregh

The lighter green one was at the October Fest in Lebanon TN last year. It had a perfect score at that show as well. It is the best restoration I've ever seen. Even the hubcaps had zero blemishes.
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #9
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

subscribed

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #10
dfwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown7373 View Post
Both trucks ran BF Goodrich Silvertown bias ply whitewalls from Coker Tire.

Thank You! I'll look them up

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

That is a sweet restoration. Nice to see! I guess this show is a local chapter show. The national show is Hershey in the fall.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #12
Grumpy old man

Both long beds , interesting !
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
brown7373

AACA has 4 regions: Eastern, Southeastern, Central and Western. Any chapter of a region can apply to host a national show, if their application is approved by the national headquarters, so there are numerous national shows each year. Usually you apply at least 2 years in advance. Naples was the AACA Southeastern Winter Meet (a national show, not a local chapter show). Hershey is the biggest show and is where the AACA headquarters is located, but it is The Eastern Fall Meet (national show) and is hosted by the Hershey Region. Other than being the largest, it is no different than other national shows during the year. Any of the numerous national shows is where a vehicle can qualify for a national award. Achieving a national award is not simply who has the best, but it is more "does your vehicle meet the standard". Is it like it left the factory. In any class, there can be multiple first place awards if more than one meets the standard. So you aren't really competing against the other cars, you are competing against the standard. To achieve a First Junior, you need to score over 365 points of the total 400, AND, you must be within 10 points of the top scoring vehicle in your class. So if one of those trucks scored a perfect 400, then for someone else in that class to also qualify for a First Junior also, he would need to score 390 or above, otherwise he would get a 2nd Junior. After you get a First Junior, you compete in future national meets, against other First Junior winners in your class for a Senior award. After the Senior, you vehicle is in a Preservation class. You receive a large board and receive plates each time you compete and get repeat preservation awards. The object then is to preserve the car at that standard. Preservation is a lot less competitive and you don't need as many points to qualify for repeat. Just keep it nice and correct.

I like AACA because I am not subject to the prejudices of the judges, like I like red better than green, or "2 doors are much nicer than 4 doors". Also, there is no extra credit or deductions for over restoration. Those 2 beautiful trucks had better EVERYTHING than the way it came from the factory, but that didn't get them any more points than another truck that was as it came from the factory. remember, you compete to attain the standard, not against the other vehicles in your class.

Last edited by brown7373; 03-22-2016 at 09:01 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #14
Grumpy old man

So if I understand this correctly you would have to attend and place in multiple events across your geological area of the US and then attend the event in Hershey. ? If this is true these events would only be available to the "elite crowd" as the time and costs involved would be out of reach to the "normal builder" ? Even if their truck may be perfect in every way they would be forced to " climb the ladder" ? And if this is correct at what benifits other than a plaque with your name on it ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #15
brown7373

By the way, after a vehicle attains senior level, it is eligible compete a Grand National Show, that is the same format, but is ONLY open to Senior vehicles. There is only one Grand National each year. June 2-4, the 2016 Grand National will be held in Williamsport, PA, where they have the Little League World Series. Every vehicle there will be a Senior and is the best of the best!
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
Grumpy old man

I'd be interested in how many of the Senior level participants rebuilt their entry themselves or is it just a competition of who spent the most money to have it restored by a shop ? Sounds like it would be more rewarding to the average guy wanting to involve his family to take his perfect truck to the local choke and puke car show and win a best of show award ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #17
brown7373

No, that is not correct. Hershey show is NO DIFFERENT than the show in Naples (this year...other years this is just a local show) or any other National Show. Hershey is one of numerous annual national shows. It is just the largest and it is hosted by the Hershey Region, the home of the headquarters. Any active member of AACA can enter a car at Hershey or any other show. To enter a Grand National, your vehicle must have gotten a First Junior, then a Senior award at ANY of the numerous national shows. I have entered my 1970 Bonneville convertible at Hershey 5 times, after driving it 1200 miles from south Florida on radial tires. Even with radials and a long drive, I got Second Juniors each time. Radials are a major deduction.

So most of us mortals look for when a national show will be in our area to try to get it qualified as a First Junior or above. Attaining the award at Hershey is maybe more special because you probably have more vehicles in your class, but in the scheme of things, it is no different than the award you get at any other national show.

By the way, if anyone reads the brochure posted above, it is many years old. It says "cars 1957 or older", which is way out of date. AACA recognizes vehicles 25 years and older for national judging.

So you can enter at ANY national show, and do not need to go to all of them. Once you attain First Junior, your vehicle will forever be a First Junior vehicle and the next national show it competes for Senior. Even if you sell the vehicle, it is STILL a First Junior vehicle. If it is a Senior or Grand National, it reverts back to a First Junior for the new owner, and he must compete for the Senior and Grand National.

Just remember, you need to be an AACA member and must preregister for a national show, usually a couple weeks before the event. There are no day of show drive-ons.

The AACA is the country’s oldest and largest automotive historical society. We are dedicated to the preservation, restoration and maintenance of automobiles and automotive history. Vehicles are judges to the standard of how they were delivered from the deal to the customer. Modifications from that result in deductions. AACA is not for Street Rods or highly modified vehicles. A perfect vehicle is one with zero modifications from the way it was, or could have been delivered. Color changes, or addition of options is allowed so long as the color or options were available for that model and model year.

Last edited by brown7373; 03-22-2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #18
tommys72

Both are beautiful. Did you happen to notice, is that the real deal delco battery, or just the cover? I'm assuming it's real.

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #19
brown7373

Geez Grumpy, you seem to be quite negative. AACA is not only for those who spend mega bucks. There is no extra credit for over restoration! I had a 1964 T-Bird Convertible that we got Senior and Preservation awards back in the 90s. I did everything myself, except I paid a shop $4500 to paint it, and a trim shop to recover my front buckets with new white leather and install a new white top. My 70 Bonneville (owned 37 years), my 72 Cutlass Convertible and my 72 Cheyenne have all received 2nd and 3rd Junior awards in national AACA shows. All nice vehicles, but none perfect or trailer queens, but they are as correct as I can make them. If I invested in bias ply tires, each would probably be able to attain First Junior (5 radial tires is 25 point deduction).

My Bonneville has been just about completely rebuilt by me in my home garage over an on again, off again restoration over 12 years. I completely rebuilt the engine, brakes, front end, replaced all the fuel and brake lines and paid a shop $6000 to paint it. I have purchased bias belted tires and refinished the Rally II wheels. When I finish the interior, I am confident it will win a First Junior, then a Senior. Me? I am a retired office equipment salesman, not a professional mechanic and I am definitely not a wealthy owner who spends mega-buck to restore my cars.

Don't confuse AACA with shows that only $100,000 and up restorations have a prayer of winning anything. www.aaca.org
Old 03-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #20
brown7373

The batteries are real and cost about $300 from Antique Auto Battery. The case is like the original, but the guts are now sealed units with no way to add any acid or water...and they weigh a lot less. I use just the top cover on my Cutlass and Cheyenne, but did invest in the real thing for my Bonneville.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #21
tommys72

Thanks brown. I figured his was real

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #22
Grumpy old man

I'm not trying to be negative . I'm just trying to understand the motivation For my own personal knowledge you'll notice I was asking questions .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #23
brown7373

I wasn't trying to offend you either, and apologies if I did...just kind of playing off your screen name. On this and other site, a common theme is bad judging at car shows. If a person like modified, then AACA is the wrong venue. But if stock or very close to stock, AACA makes the $100,000 restoration almost meaningless. It doesn't earn them extra credit. These truck were as near perfect as I could determine. But I think their trim was polished better than the factory ever did it. And their paint was better than the factory did it. So if my truck was beside it, and if the trim and paint was like the factory did it, we would be even so far. With vehicles like that in your class, probably scoring close to 400, it does mean you would need to score 390 or close. But there aren't usually perfect vehicles in every class.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #24
geunther

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown7373 View Post
Vehicles are judged(sic) to the standard of how they were delivered from the dealer(sic) to the customer.
How is that determined? What I mean is, how are the judges aware how all the different model years, trim levels, finishes, etc was when it left the factory? The reason I ask is I would like to be able to reference that as I work on mine.

In the Corvette world there is/was lots of documentation. Not so much in the C10 world. Also I sent you a PM
geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #25
brown7373

Usually at National shows, each team has a (hopefully) knowledgeable captain. And it is up to the owner to have documentation if questions arise. There are service manuals, brochures, owners manuals, etc. That is not to say that some things don't slip by, but usually not an issue. If you try to get a 409 past the judges in a 72 pickup, it probably won't work. And if it is some questionable color, be prepared to be able to show that it was available in the said color for that year. AACA judging is not nearly as anal as NCRS judging. Again, AACA rules allow you to add or delete correct options for your model and year. And you can paint it any color you want that was offered for your year and model.