The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
Trevor

Know the history of your truck ?

Just wondering if anybody else knows the whole history of their truck(s) ?

My truck has been like a member of the family since day one;
It was ordered by my Dad (from here in Alberta Spring of '71) and he timed it so he was in Ontario when it was being built (business trip).
So when it was ready he picked it up right at the plant (Oshawa), then drove it the 2000 miles home, changed the oil as soon as he got it home (same day),
he used it (170000 miles) but took meticulous care of it for the next 27 years until I bought it from him in 1998.

I took it all apart 15+ years ago and I'm finally now officially going to start the restoration 45 years to the day my old man took possession of it (June 8th/1971).

Anybody else have a cool story to tell ?
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Know the history of your truck ?

Most of the trucks I've had I didn't know the history on. But, on the ones I have known the history on it made them more special.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

I am the only owner. Therefore, I know the entire history other than while it was in dealer inventory as a new truck. I have every service receipt/invoice, original sale documents, owners manual, Protect-O-Plate, etc. as well as virtually every gallon of gas purchased.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Kinda... Had a dealer bumper on it, Brownsfield,TX. So it was originally a TX truck. Somehow made its way to SC. Along the way the front end was damaged and replaced with another original 67 clip. A family member bought it in 1995 and I annoyed the hell out of him until the sold it to me in 1996.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 04-14-2016 at 08:13 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #5
Gmc.guy

My 84 I know the history. I am from a small town and the truck was known well. I wanted to buy it for years. I ended up getting it for a good price and it was well cared for and in great shape. Thick folder of all the paperwork from dealer and all work since. I have a 74 that was bought new by the same guy. It's cool to park them beside each other in my shop like they did for years at his place
Old 04-14-2016, 12:26 AM   #6
truckster

I know a bit. The guy I bought mine from got it from his dad. His dad had died and left it to him, but he just wanted the engine so he sold the truck. It was pretty sad when I showed up to pick it up and his little girl was sobbing, "Dad, please don't sell Grandpa's truck."
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:27 AM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:22 AM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

The original owner lived in Minden Nv. His name is Eugene (likely Basque), and I believe it was sold to him from a lot in Gardnerville. I have the information stored with the paper work. I suspect he's old or gone (been meaning to look)......He obviously liked the outdoors, 5th wheel, heavy duty rear bumper, camper mirrors, boat launching hitch, BBC, rear leaf springs, CB........Lucky for me he chose the wrong truck for it, being a SWB.

Flash forward 1989..........If I recall, he traded it in for a new truck (what you want to guess a long bed?).....There it was, sitting at the corner of a small used car lot on John and Carson Street. I didn't know what I was getting, and just thought it was a neat little truck. I didn't even realize it was a BBC until after I had brought it home, and I thought, hey that's kind of cool.. I wasn't exactly brought up around mechanics. I paid $2700 for it.

They painted it to sell. As cheap a paint job as you can get. Was Ochre and white. This isn't the original bed (had saddle bags, go figure). Currently tearing her down, try to make Eugene proud.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-14-2016 at 01:32 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:40 AM   #9
In The Ten Ring

My dad bought my truck new off the lot in 1971 or 1972. He was across the street, with mom, at the grocery store and he saw it. He walked over, haggled the guy down $300 or $400 dollars (which was a big discount back then) and added it to the house loan. Mom freaked but she went along with it.

Dad drove it and used it for the next 20 years, having promised it to me IF I "could avoid drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and cigarettes at least until I was 21." Well I did and I never had to lie to dad.

Dad said the truck never would go in the snow at all but he's hauled some impressive loads with it. I came along in 1974 so all my memories include this truck. I've had it garaged since 1994, I've been working on it since 2013 but I am confident I can get it running again this spring/summer. I drove it some in high school.....the column shifter and bench seat (along with short girlfriends) made it an excellent choice for dates (and parking). Frankly, I don't know why anyone would want bucket seats in any vehicle.

In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Exactly......I've taken a few rides on my bench seat. You just can't do that with buckets. Besides, a bench is better for a dog.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 04-14-2016, 01:57 AM   #11
El Dorado Jim

I know the history of my 74K20, bought it from a General Contractor in Sebastopol, Ca,he bought it new and I have owned it for 29 years...bought my son's 70 GMC from the original owner ,then we converted it to 4 wheel drive, now it is a K2500, have owned it since my son was 7, he is now 24
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:58 AM   #12
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
My dad bought my truck new off the lot in 1971 or 1972. He was across the street, with mom, at the grocery store and he saw it. He walked over, haggled the guy down $300 or $400 dollars (which was a big discount back then) and added it to the house loan. Mom freaked but she went along with it.

Dad drove it and used it for the next 20 years, having promised it to me IF I "could avoid drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and cigarettes at least until I was 21." Well I did and I never had to lie to dad.

Dad said the truck never would go in the snow at all but he's hauled some impressive loads with it. I came along in 1974 so all my memories include this truck. I've had it garaged since 1994, I've been working on it since 2013 but I am confident I can get it running again this spring/summer. I drove it some in high school.....the column shifter and bench seat (along with short girlfriends) made it an excellent choice for dates (and parking). Frankly, I don't know why anyone would want bucket seats in any vehicle.

Nice truck and cool that you grew up with it...
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:21 AM   #13
Mrturner1

I don't know the history of mine but I'm getting some laquer thinner tomarrow to try and get the paint off the SPID in the glovebox. I bought it about two years ago in a college parking lot auto sales thing the school did every other weekend. So far all I know is it was medium olive green, a manual transmission and an I6 engine. Tomarrow will be interesting, great stories guys.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:10 AM   #14
vics stuff

I bought my 72 Chevy truck in 2000 from the original owners son after his dad passed away at the age of 92. The son wanted to keep the truck and restore it , but realized it was going to take some money and time , which he did not have either. So I bought it. The dad was a small guy and lived on a farm in Arkansas. When the truck was new the dad bought and installed a topper on the back. He had a mattress in the back , so when his animals were out grazing , the old guy would drive the truck out in the field and sleep in the back of the truck to keep an eye on his livestock. This truck has never hauled anything in the back except the mattress. When I bought it from the son , I told him I had owned many of these body style trucks since 1974 and was looking for a real nice one like his dads. He made me promise that I was not going to hack up his dads truck and I explained my intensions were to leave the truck stock. Just do a restoration on it.
Well I called last year and spoke to the son , he asked me to resell his dads truck back to him , which I declined. I have been looking for a truck this clean for over 20 years and now I have one . Will never sell this truck.
Vic

Last edited by vics stuff; 04-14-2016 at 03:13 AM. Reason: need pictures
vics stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #15
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Just wondering if anybody else knows the whole history of their truck(s) ?
Anybody else have a cool story to tell ?
Mine's a squarebody, but you can read about it here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #16
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

subscribed and will be posting later today.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #17
Elliot949

I know everything there is to know about my truck... My Dad bought it new in 1966 and we have owned it all along... I actually had all of the documentation of the purchase, Owner Warranty card and ALL service records on the truck up to 2011 when it was stolen with all the papers in in... When it was recovered the Jerks that stole it and stripped it took all the documents... I am sure the paperwork ended up in a dumpster somewhere... if interested read my build thread on this... The link is at the bottom in my signature...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:49 AM   #18
ksshane

Do I know the history of my truck....lol I know the previous owner just told me what I wanted to hear to sell me the truck.

Originally it was a step side, not a fleetside. It had coil springs, but for some reason was switched to leafs with a different rearend. Was told it was just used to haul things around, but the more I do with it the more I find that leads me to believe it was just thrown together for a quick sell. For example when I pulled the bench seat out the entire back of it was full of pine cone needles and I even found animal bones (they didnt even bother turning the seat over and dumping out the trash before putting it in). And my truck was in primer (never a good sign.. i know), and when I got it home I noticed a rust hole in the finder filed with a tshirt that they just primered over...lol

So do I know the history? No, but I have to admit it can get kind of funny trying to figure out the previous owners train of thought.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #19
custom10nut

Mine started in Winner SD, as a tow vehicle for a cattle trailer. It made is way to Wyoming, and then Montana , and finally Ft Campbell, Ky. I bought her from an Army Helicopter pilot that just had "too many toys". That pretty much sums up the first 22 years of her life. She came to me this month in 1992, and she's been part of our family ever since. I learned of the first 22 years through making phone calls to the original owner and all the receipts for everything ever done to her. Yes, I have the Protecto Plate, maintenance schedule, and owners manual. The only pice missing would be the build sheet (the one under the seat is gone, but I hope the one behind the gas tank is still there). When I say receipts, I'm sayin about 200, for every little thing the second owner had done (engine rebuild and paint. BTW the guy got ripped off).

Last edited by custom10nut; 04-14-2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Add on to message
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #20
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I know a bit. The guy I bought mine from got it from his dad. His dad had died and left it to him, but he just wanted the engine so he sold the truck. It was pretty sad when I showed up to pick it up and his little girl was sobbing, "Dad, please don't sell Grandpa's truck."

Ouch! That almost brought tears to my eyes! I know how this little girl felt because I felt the same when my dad sold his dad's truck (which I have now reclaimed).
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #21
Gallican

Found the service history for my 71 laying under the seat
Attached Images

Gallican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #22
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics stuff View Post
I bought my 72 Chevy truck in 2000 from the original owners son after his dad passed away at the age of 92. The son wanted to keep the truck and restore it , but realized it was going to take some money and time , which he did not have either. So I bought it. The dad was a small guy and lived on a farm in Arkansas. When the truck was new the dad bought and installed a topper on the back. He had a mattress in the back , so when his animals were out grazing , the old guy would drive the truck out in the field and sleep in the back of the truck to keep an eye on his livestock. This truck has never hauled anything in the back except the mattress. When I bought it from the son , I told him I had owned many of these body style trucks since 1974 and was looking for a real nice one like his dads. He made me promise that I was not going to hack up his dads truck and I explained my intensions were to leave the truck stock. Just do a restoration on it.
Well I called last year and spoke to the son , he asked me to resell his dads truck back to him , which I declined. I have been looking for a truck this clean for over 20 years and now I have one . Will never sell this truck.
Vic
The guy who created the post about his dad's truck should read this. Not to say he isn't leading one way or another on selling it.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #23
Trevor

Shortbed402; no worries, there is ZERO chance I will ever sell this truck, it's mine 'til-death-do-us-part'.

The difference, to me, in owning one of these trucks you just bought from some random 3rd/5th/20th owner who didn't have a clue where it came from and a truck that you have personal history with - is huge.

Thanks for the stories guys !
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #24
dads longhorn

Yes I do. Dad bought it new in Massachusetts after retiring from the Air Force. A year later the family moved to Pocatello Idaho where it lived 37 years. It was used as designed and carried a slide in camper, pulled a boat and did odd jobs at the house. In 2008 he passed away and I inherited it. I drove it to New Mexico and am taking good care of it. I hope to keep it in the family forever.
Attached Images

dads longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #25
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

I know im the 3rd owner but thats about it/
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote