The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2003, 05:19 PM   #1
*MJF*
No longer truckless

disc brake swap question

I am trying to get my wife's truck swapped over to discs & I need to know what to do for brake hoses. On the drivers side, there is a junction that sends the brake fluid to that side & also to the other side. That junction has a larger diameter bolt than what a normal brake line is. The pass side seems to be normal size brake line.

Sofar I got a set of brake hoses from autozone that were too short & the fitting that fits through the frame was too small to screw the nrake line fitting into. I also tried a set of extended brake lines for a 73-78 truck, but the fitting was too small on that too. Than I went to kragen & looked at their brake hoses. I don't know about the fitting sizes, but they were way short.

I'm scratching my head here. My next step is to try to get a set of extended brake lines that are supposed to be for a 70 truck. Thay cost $97, so I'm waiting to see if you guys have any better ideas.
*MJF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
MOTHERTRUCKERS

We use adapter fittings, disc is 3/16 drum is 1/4.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:12 PM   #3
*MJF*
No longer truckless

I'm still a little lost. What I have is one line that runs from the prop valve to the drivers side. At the drivers side is this junction block & another line running from that to the pass side. In the middle of the junction block is a bolt like the ones that screw into the calipers(hollow & with a hole on the side). That bolt screws into the brake hose whree it goes through the frame. That's what is giving me fits.

The other side where the hose meets the frame appears to be a regular size brake line but I don't know yet cause I never made it that far.

It's hard to explain these things when I don't know the technical terms for all of it.
*MJF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:51 PM   #4
MOTHERTRUCKERS

The fitting your describing is what is called a banjo fitting, what you should have is a tee fitting on your crossmember, your top line from your prop valve should be 3/16's and the tee should be also going left and right to the brake hoses which are the banjo fittings

tee is sometimes called a 3 way fitting.