The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
flipper58

Derale Fan Controller Problem

My dual fans are not turning on. Twin fans on an RnD radiator with Derale fan controller. They have worked fine since installation until a few days ago. I have checked all wiring, including the ground, the inline fuse and every connection. I have bypassed the controller and thermostatic switch by connecting a direct ground to the ground wire coming out of each fan and both fans work with the ignition on. I tried jumping the thermostatic switch with a short wire to connect the circuit through the fan controller and no luck. By this process of elimination I have determined that it must be the switch. Am I wrong? Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I am no wiring guru, but I think I have diagnosed it the right way. Any help appreciated.
Phil
flipper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
Mrturner1

Re: Derale Fan Controller Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper58 View Post
My dual fans are not turning on. Twin fans on an RnD radiator with Derale fan controller. They have worked fine since installation until a few days ago. I have checked all wiring, including the ground, the inline fuse and every connection. I have bypassed the controller and thermostatic switch by connecting a direct ground to the ground wire coming out of each fan and both fans work with the ignition on. I tried jumping the thermostatic switch with a short wire to connect the circuit through the fan controller and no luck. By this process of elimination I have determined that it must be the switch. Am I wrong? Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I am no wiring guru, but I think I have diagnosed it the right way. Any help appreciated.
Phil
I have a Flexalite dual fan setup and thermostatic switch and today, it started malfunctioning as well. My manual switch works fine and half the time the thermostatic switch works, but not all the time. I was just going to post up and saw this so I figured I'd jump in to see what fixes yours
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
I have a Flexalite dual fan setup and thermostatic switch and today, it started malfunctioning as well. My manual switch works fine and half the time the thermostatic switch works, but not all the time. I was just going to post up and saw this so I figured I'd jump in to see what fixes yours
Flex-a-lite was going to be my back up plan purchase. That's not good to hear. I am no engineer, electrical or otherwise, but how can these controllers simply stop working? Mine had no more than a couple hundred miles of use and it never saw weather that could have caused a problem.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I had a Derale unit that was dead right out of the box a little over a year ago. It was the 'high amp' dual controller, #16779. Are you using the thread in temp sensor or the push in probe one?

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
I had a Derale unit that was dead right out of the box a little over a year ago. It was the 'high amp' dual controller, #16779. Are you using the thread in temp sensor or the push in probe one?
Thread in sensor. I tried bypassing the sensor and that didn't work. Not sure of the model Derale I have (will check tomorrow), but it came with the radiator and dual fan setup.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #6
Mrturner1

Quote:
Flex-a-lite was going to be my back up plan purchase. That's not good to hear. I am no engineer, electrical or otherwise, but how can these controllers simply stop working? Mine had no more than a couple hundred miles of use and it never saw weather that could have caused a problem.
Mine too lol I have MAYBE 100 miles on it probably less. It's not totally gone though which is weird. I have it set for 195* and I was stopped at a light today and noticed the gauge was at 205 and no fans. I flipped on the manual switch and they started right up.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
It's a model 16749. I am going to contact Derale for some "guidance" and see where it goes.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Good luck - I hope they are more 'accomodating' to your issues than they were of mine. I also had an issue with the plastic hub/bracing on my Derale fan setup up cracking all the way around. I posted pics of it in the Engine & Drivetrain section.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac

Last edited by BossHogg69; 05-16-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
Boog
laying low

This is disturbing to hear. I was just about to purchase a derale controller to use with a GM camaro fan. I surely want it to last more than a 100 miles or so.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I just installed another #16779 in place of a relay setup that I was using, hopefully this time it works out better. I have 532" of big block that will need cooling in about a month...

Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #11
ga-stepside

One thing you need to know is the current draw of you fans. Strat up or surge current is much much higher than continuous running current and can take out your relay or controller. The controller's current capability is available on Derale's website http://derale.com/products/electric-...le-controllers
ga-stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #12
flipper58

Update. Spoke with Eric from Derale within a couple of hours of sending an email describing my issues. He wants me to try one more thing, using the bypass connection to see if it will work. It's currently not wired in. I am not sure what that will show him, but I will get to that and get back to him later in the week. He was helpful, said it might be a bad unit and they will stand behind it if that is the case. I'll update once again when needed.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
Mrturner1

Quote:
Update. Spoke with Eric from Derale within a couple of hours of sending an email describing my issues. He wants me to try one more thing, using the bypass connection to see if it will work. It's currently not wired in. I am not sure what that will show him, but I will get to that and get back to him later in the week. He was helpful, said it might be a bad unit and they will stand behind it if that is the case. I'll update once again when needed.
Nice, I'll email Flexalite right now and we'll get a customer service and warranty comparison! lol
Old 05-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #14
flipper58

Well, let's see which company fares better. I tried the bypass last night and it did not work. Left a message with Eric at Derale and am waiting to hear back.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #15
Mrturner1

Called Flexalite today and told the tech guy I was having issues with the controller, he said email him a picture of the receipt and he'd send out a new controller. Done and done, not bad
Old 05-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #16
flipper58

So far, you're the winner. I have called Derale two times and yet no call back. We'll see.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #17
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Try this outfit

http://www.centechwire.com/Fan-Controllers_c10.htm
Old 05-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
flipper58

Quote:
So far, you're the winner. I have called Derale two times and yet no call back. We'll see.
The saga continues. Called Derale back and Eric told me to warranty it through RnD. I am fine with that, but thought Derale would do it directly. Shot RnD a note already and heard back quickly. I need to get them my order number. Will do that tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #19
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Thanks for that. A new unit from another manufacturer may be my next step.
Here's another one that is pricey, but no relays. http://www.autocoolguy.com/
Interesting.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #20
flipper58

Here's another update. RnD followed up with Derale and Derale is to issue a return authorization. I am waiting for that to make its way to me. I am unable to drive my truck until the RA gets issued and then I send the original controller back, as well as wait for the new one to arrive. It might be time to bite the bullet and get something more reliable. This is just frustrating, especially because this one had very limited miles/usage on it. I am not feeling real comfortable with a replacement of the same thing. Anyone ever use one of these? http://www.autocoolguy.com/
Old 05-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #21
snj8198

Flipper58, I've been lurking around your thread a bit. Sorry to hear you are having the problems that you are with your e-fan controller. I too am having fan issues with my Flex-a-lite 295 control system. I chatted with a forum member named gmachinz last year about a possible switch to a system he builds. You might pick his brain a bit as he's pretty darn sharp about electric fans and cooling systems. I'll be hitting him up for a custom system or something of the sort for my needs real soon as well.

Good luck

Steve
Old 05-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #22
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj8198 View Post
Flipper58, I've been lurking around your thread a bit. Sorry to hear you are having the problems that you are with your e-fan controller. I too am having fan issues with my Flex-a-lite 295 control system. I chatted with a forum member named gmachinz last year about a possible switch to a system he builds. You might pick his brain a bit as he's pretty darn sharp about electric fans and cooling systems. I'll be hitting him up for a custom system or something of the sort for my needs real soon as well.

Good luck

Steve
Thanks much. I am having trouble dealing with the fact that what I think is a simple electronic device creating so much trouble. I am sure it is not as simple as I am claiming, but it is frustrating. I'd be interested in hearing what you end up creating with gmachinz. And I am jealous that you live in one of my favorite states and places. My wife and I have enjoyed spending some time in St. Mary, Whitefish, Kalispell and hiking and whitewater rafting in and near Glacier. That is no doubt the most beautiful place on earth. We can't wait until we get to come back. We may have visited Glacier Distilling Company as well. Just sayin'...
Phil
Old 05-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #23
flipper58

Good news update. RnD worked it out that Derale is sending me a new controller directly. Hope to have it soon.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #24
ptc

Quote:
It's a model 16749. I am going to contact Derale for some "guidance" and see where it goes.
You should do an amp draw test on your fan setup with a VOM to see its actual values. Your P/N is only capable of 25 Amp maximum. Which should be more than enough, if there is no problems with the fans themselves.

Check the draw on 1 fan at a time and then with both going on at once.

Here is a link to your spec sheet:

http://derale.com/products/electric-...9251222-detail
Old 05-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #25
flipper58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
You should do an amp draw test on your fan setup with a VOM to see its actual values. Your P/N is only capable of 25 Amp maximum. Which should be more than enough, if there is no problems with the fans themselves.

Check the draw on 1 fan at a time and then with both going on at once.

Here is a link to your spec sheet:

http://derale.com/products/electric-...9251222-detail
Thanks ptc. I am no expert on electrical issues, but I did do a calculation with watts divided by voltage provided on the fans (80 watts, 12 volts) to make sure the spec amps were not beyond the limits of the controller. At least on paper it should be able to handle my calculation of 6.6 amps, but I have yet to do an actual draw reading on each fan. I will do that before I install the new controller.