The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
AnotherWs6

Dash pad gauge pod???

I have seen some older threads regarding this. Does anybody currently offer something like this, or a pillar pod without having to have them custom ordered and made? I'd like to keep my factory gauges as is and add some O2's and trans temp. This would be perfect.
Attached Images

2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
GR8-68

Re: Dash pad gauge pod???

I have never seen those but I sure do like it

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
JustToxic

I think this is where that photo came from.
http://www.automedia2000.com/justdashes/jd1008.htm
JustToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
Grumpy old man

Justdashes.com 1-800-247-3274

They come in black at $369.00 they can be custom colored to match your interior for additional $ , the gauge size is 2 1/ 16

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

There's plenty of room for all the 2 1/16" gauges you could want where the stock instruments go, if you are going custom. I'd leave the dash stock and modify where the place provided for gauges

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
AnotherWs6

There is a lot of room on the stock gauge panel, but not all of the room in the world. Right now I have two open spots and would like to get a setup that has what I don't have...vacuum and tach. At that point there is nothing open. Where would I fit 2 oxygen sensor gauges, a teams temp gauge, and possibly one or two more as my fancies change? You wold have to have combo gauges at that point. And I like my stock look. Like my stock bright headlight indicator and whatever idiot lights are floating around in there. And I like the fact that factory parts are available for it, and like that i don't need to hack the factory wiring which is still in great shape.

Seems like a place to mount another three gauges is right up my ally. I could leave everything factory alone for awhile and still get my immediate addons. I could probably get some decals made for aftermarket gauges to make the faves fir right in. I think the pad would then look pretty organic, which is a concern of mine. Who knows. But that's a pretty hefty price increase over a stick dash pad. If it were $200 it would be ordered by now.

The ash try location is screaming is screaming for a few mini gauges. Or put a digital hvac control where the ashtray goes and get a mount where they were from the factory..... ideas. Between the radio saga and gauges um tempted to cut the while center out and fab something that houses everything. There is a decent amount of real estate there.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
cherokeejohn

http://www.justdashes.com/ here's a link to the web page.Grumpy is exactly right on price and info.
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #8
Grumpy old man

[QUOTE=cherokeejohn;7665453]http://www.justdashes.com/ here's a link to the web page.Grumpy is exactly right on price and info.[/QUOT

They go all the way to the windshield and when you order one you have to specify if you want the speaker holes or not , Also they will color it to your provided sample for extra $.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #9
AnotherWs6

Checked out the link. Then watched a short video of them covering an older BMW dash. I wonder if the Hispanic workers who didn't speak English know how to speak English. It's just a thought. Where are they located?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:49 AM   #10
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
Checked out the link. Then watched a short video of them covering an older BMW dash. I wonder if the Hispanic workers who didn't speak English know how to speak English. It's just a thought. Where are they located?
Their in California , Or should we say Old Mexico before we turned it into California ?

Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
There is a lot of room on the stock gauge panel, but not all of the room in the world. Right now I have two open spots and would like to get a setup that has what I don't have...vacuum and tach. At that point there is nothing open. Where would I fit 2 oxygen sensor gauges, a teams temp gauge, and possibly one or two more as my fancies change? You wold have to have combo gauges at that point. And I like my stock look. Like my stock bright headlight indicator and whatever idiot lights are floating around in there. And I like the fact that factory parts are available for it, and like that i don't need to hack the factory wiring which is still in great shape.
You misunderstood me. I didn't say "in the stock gauge panel". I'm saying in that area, the size of a glovebox door/instrument panel, there is plenty of room "if you are going custom". The fuel gauge is a huge waste of space in the stock cluster, way bigger than more important gauges. I get wanting the stock look, but this dash pad is far from that. Very modern looking since "pods" are a modern thing for electronic vehicles. When I do my custom gauge panel, they will be wired into the fuse box properly, no hacking.

I was just making my point that there is no lack of room for gauges in a custom truck. I'll do what I do and others can do what they want. I love original, but have also done plenty of custom.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 07-28-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #12
AnotherWs6

Points all well taken.

What exactly are you referring to when you say " I'm saying in that area, the size of a glovebox door/instrument panel, there is plenty of room"???

Pods themselves certainly are more modern. I'm not saying I want it to look like it did when it rolled off of the line 50 years ago though. I'm fine with custom but want it to fit in. Period correct is probably the best term. If the pad itself looks like it fits, the gauge themselves look vintage (proper looking faces etc" then the fact that there are pods may not make it stick out like a sore thumb.

The fuel gauge is an enormous waste of real estate, of course. So if I put a tach there, a fuel gauge where a factory tach would normally go, a vaccuum gauge in the factory location what are my options? I'm wondering if you have any specific ideas.

Remember that O2 gauges can't be combined with anything else. There are single gauges that monitor 2 O2 sensors but they are digital so there goes the whole period correct thing.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Let's say you want to use a glovebox door to make a custom gauge panel. A blank canvas you can lay out any way you want. You could fit a whole lot more gauges. One example would be tach and speedo sharing the center in the bigger size, then four 2 1/16" on each side. Room for 8 gauges, easily. There are little lights to use for indicators. There are even little hi-lo beam/turn units made.

While these dash covers with pods was a good idea someone came up with, I don't like them. They alter the great look of the original design, look more '80s than correct, add a plastic look, and I just see them as a tacky Pep Boys add-on... that is very expensive. These trucks were very well designed and that's what I like about them. I am building an era hot rod truck with my '67 and will do a custom cluster because that's a touch of what hot rodders did. And, it only affects the actual gauge cluster area. No change to overall interior design. It's a performance change, not a styling change

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 07-29-2016 at 06:23 AM.