The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Thundarr

To vent or not to vent?

Whenever I run my AC full blast and recirclate the cab air, I seem to be pulling in some exhaust smell. I don't smell it when I am moving above 20-30 mph. It's only when I slow down or sit in traffic. The PO put in an 80's era GM Goodwrench 350. Here is a picture of the current setup. I have a PCV from the drivers side valve cover connected straight into the carb and then a filter on the passenger side valve cover. There is no charcoal canister.

I recently put in shorty headers so I know the exhaust is all connected up well but the smell still persists. I did just find that I am missing the boot over the brake lever that goes through the firewall which could be sucking in some of the engine bay/crank case vented fumes.

I have ordered and will install a new boot on the brake lever to better seal up the firewall, but I also ordered a charcoal canister and plan to properly add the "T"in the hose from the drivers side PCV to the carb and then over to the canister.

So now getting to my question, what do I do with the passenger side filter? I have noticed that a lot of setups don't have a filter on the passenger side. Should I:
A.) plug it?
B.) switch it to another pcv and "T" it into the the line to the canister also?
C.) just leave it be and hope the boot fixes it?
Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
davepl

Re: To vent or not to vent?

You might want to fix all that rubber fuel line - just something I post any time I see more than a foot or two of hose.

How are your fenders behind the front wheels for rust, esp on the passenger side? I'm wondering if it's pulling exhaust in through the cowl vent perhaps.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
68is4me

The PCV valve should have nothing to do with exhaust smell in the cab. The way it is hooked up should be just fine.

The canister is used to catch and recycle the fuel vapors from the fuel tank.

Are you running complete exhaust all the way to the rear bumper with no leaks? If you are, you should not be getting much exhaust smell in the cab. If you exhaust is shorter and comes out somewhere under the truck that would be your problem.

These cabs are not sealed vary and have leaks all over.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
Thundarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
How are your fenders behind the front wheels for rust, esp on the passenger side? I'm wondering if it's pulling exhaust in through the cowl vent perhaps.
The fenders are in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68is4me,
Are you running complete exhaust all the way to the rear bumper with no leaks? If you are, you should not be getting much exhaust smell in the cab. If you exhaust is shorter and comes out somewhere under the truck that would be your problem.

These cabs are not sealed vary and have leaks all over.
Yes, the exhaust is run all the way to the back and even turned down at the tips under the bumper.

Sounds like I might just really need the boot behind the brake booster.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Bigdav160

Theoretically, the crankcase vapors ARE exhaust. But the vent is the intake side of the crankcase ventilation system. In your case the vent side could be routed to the air cleaner base. There is usually a knock out for this purpose. New, the open air cleaner probably had the attachment also.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #6
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Why don't you just stuff something behind the broken brake boot temporarily to see if that's really it?
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #7
Thundarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Why don't you just stuff something behind the broken brake boot temporarily to see if that's really it?

Duh, thanks Tom. Probably should have done that first. Oh well, the boot was in bad shape and on its way anyway.

Look what else I discovered. The after market air cleaner base doesnt even seat onto the carb. It hits on that rised portion the left side and kicks up the cleaner about a quarter of an inch no matter how I orient or how hard I press. That MUST have something to do with the smell.

New question, can you help me identify what Edelbrock carb I have so I can get a correct air cleaner?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #8
Thundarr

Nevermind, looks like they are universal, but even better, they have an adaptor/spacer the will fit and costs $6.47.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #9
swamp rat

That or find an air cleaner base that's more flat, i run the Edelbrock aluminum assy that fits the carb just fine.. Don't run 2 pcv valves.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
kilrcady

ball valve on heater hose?
kilrcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
Thundarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrcady View Post
ball valve on heater hose?
Yessir, one of the best and easiest upgrade for hot climate trucks with AC. The old vacuum operated shutoffs never really close even when new.

By the way, I figured out my smell issue. Adding the spacer on the air cleaner knocked out 90% of the smell. I guess I was drawing in straight fuel vapor because the cleaner wasn't sealed to the carb.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #12
volksworld

that air cleaner base is the old moroso style...designed specifically to fit holleys and wont clear an edelbrock performer....the bump outs were to clear the float bowls on the holley....it was designed to drop a large filter element as low as possible for hood clearance which obviously isnt an issue on our trucks

Last edited by volksworld; 07-30-2016 at 10:21 AM.
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #13
dflarsen77

I use a 2" spacer on my edelbrock carb and my air cleaner is a pretty low drop like yours. Glad that worked out, although I'm kinda surprised that was it.

Anyways, you def need the breather filter on the passenger side. The pcv runs to the carb and basically sucks the gas out of the crank case, and the breather is where the air gets in to allow that. Originally, they had a big tube off the air cleaner that ran to where that breather is, and used a flame arrestor. So yours (and mine) I think is referred to as an open system because it pulls air from the atmosphere. But you can get a breather with a little port on the side, and then an air cleaner with a little port that can be added, and run a hose between them and then it's a closed system. I think running it that way might be better because it will push more air in, but I really have no idea.