The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
Grumpy old man

Parting out these old trucks

I just took a glance at the parts section and noticed about 6 trucks being complete part outs or chopped up for cuts just today ! And yes I've cut up my fair share and probably will continue to part out long beds for my own stash of parts for my short bed trucks , But it made me think of just how many are being parted out on a daily basis and how some parts are already becoming hard to find .

What parts are you noticing that have just become almost impossible to find at a decent price and yes I understand the NOS craze but buying NOS plastic hidden parts is just crazy when comparable new are available for pennies on the dollar .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
tommys72

Re: Parting out these old trucks

Wont be any good trucks left to buy soon, after they are parted and crushed. And i mean normal drivers, not restored or show trucks...prices will get higher and higher until then.

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
CST10

Yes as all the LWB trucks are parted, soon the LWB ones will rise in value also.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #4
68 CRACKERBOX

I think the other way around I wouldn't cut a long bed and would never cut a longhorn no matter how bad it is, but would cut a short bed in a heart beat, just because I hate a short bed truck to me they are junk to begin with.even the new ones but that is just me.and my opinion.

72 gmc 2500 longhorn
68 chevy c-30 50th anniv. 9ft step side
68 gmc crackerbox 8v71 detroit
72 gmc astro95 8v71 detroit
68 CRACKERBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 CRACKERBOX View Post
I think the other way around I wouldn't cut a long bed and would never cut a longhorn no matter how bad it is, but would cut a short bed in a heart beat, just because I hate a short bed truck to me they are junk to begin with.even the new ones but that is just me.and my opinion.
Damn you took the words right out of my mouth! Couldn't have said it better!
The list of hard to find parts is starting to get pretty long.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
dmjlambert

I was disappointed to hear you are parting out Ol Rusty instead of getting it going.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
And here I am patching these old Longbeds back together I must be missing out on all the easy money....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 PM   #8
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I was disappointed to hear you are parting out Ol Rusty instead of getting it going.
I'll have a better idea of what happens to OL RUSTY when I dig into her this weekend , Just like some like long beds or short beds I just happen to like 67 small window short beds . their all cool just different strokes for different folks . I'm sure OL RUSTY will live on it just may be as several trucks , I chase after the 67's so that my spare parts base is all 67 , OL RUSTY was a cab change at some point because her cab /title and vin is 69 Chevy , I'll know more about her soon ...It's almost like a blind date ....

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:49 PM   #9
Tquillen

I'll tell you what was hard for me to find, and I couldn't believe it......doggone wheels. I could not find a set of steel wheels, 5x5" pattern, for the 71-87 C10 ANYWHERE local to me. Not in the junkyards, not on Craigslist, nowhere! I had to buy a set out of California!
Posted via Mobile Device
Tquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:33 AM   #10
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Since you asked:

LH hood hinge.

Small A/C parts.

Good luck finding OEM quality vinyl coated retainers/clips.

Imagine locating a NOS Air Shut-Off Valve or even the spring.

When is the last time you saw an NOS or clean S-duct?

Dealer added NOS GM coolant expansion kit, but I did manage to find two. Second was 1/2 the price the first. First was not cheap.

Original chrome plated hub caps that are nice. Think I saw a set maybe a year ago. Personally I'd never buy them anyway, because they split. Sure look nice though.

How come there are no NOS light switches available? I've yet to pull mine off, so perhaps I'm missing the point. I've never seen one.

NOS window pump.

NOS "bright" dome light bezel. Standard bezels (white) are a dime a dozen.

That's all I can think of. Speak of buying NOS you never see. Early into this project I bought NOS heater control and the like push-nuts. Come to find out you can order them on-line for cheap (not available at nearby part stores). They work perfectly, though you do have to open them up a bit. A nail works.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-29-2016 at 12:40 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:37 AM   #11
69moneypit
Divorced .....WITH KIDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CST10 View Post
Yes as all the LWB trucks are parted, soon the LWB ones will rise in value also.
I have never had a lwb c10 . The swb are becoming more rare and exspensive . Not just 67-72 but all the way to 87. I've started looking at lwb trucks. Never thought I would . I think of all the swb I sold over the years or could've bought . Lwb will gain more and more desirability . Basically if you see a c10 at a good price , buy it cause the demand is rising .
2005 Nissan Armada (wife's idea)
69moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:56 AM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69moneypit View Post
I have never had a lwb c10 . The swb are becoming more rare and exspensive . Not just 67-72 but all the way to 87. I've started looking at lwb trucks. Never thought I would . I think of all the swb I sold over the years or could've bought . Lwb will gain more and more desirability . Basically if you see a c10 at a good price , buy it cause the demand is rising .
Yeah I missed out on a good LWB recently. Kick myself. Had other priorities.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #13
GR8-68

I love them all I have my shorty project 68 and my long bed Grandpa's 72. Decent short sides I would say are becoming few and far between you never see them posted on the classifieds like you used to. I just found me a set of nice long sides for 200 I plan to go pick up for my 72 project also found a decent complete long bed for 200 with what looks to be a decent condition steel floor. The parts are out there but you have to be up on your game with it

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #14
Ken B

While I do like them all I'm a long bed lover at heart which might explain why I have a 70 Longhorn myself. When I went to look at my truck last August to purchase from the original owner he wasn't about to just let his truck go to anybody. Thru out our conversation he asked certain questions which at the time I really thought nothing about, such as was I planning to use the truck year round and drive it in the snow, (hell no) and would I ever part it out (hell no) and where was I going to keep it etc. It began to feel a little bit like an interview but that was okay by me, I could tell that this guy loved his truck from the very day he bought it new off the dealers lot. Once we struck a deal and it felt like he trusted me he told me about the people that came to look at the truck before me and that they all had plans to part it out or shorten it! I could tell that just the thought really upset him and I promised him that would never happen. I don't mind trucks being parted but I'm the kind that really appreciates history and I hate seeing the nice clean originals sacrificed.. This is a picture of my truck, the one all the guys that looked at it before me wanted to part it out and cut it up. I have done nothing to the exterior of the truck other than polish and wax the original paint.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #15
GR8-68

That is a sweet looking piece of history Ken, thanks for preserving it

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #16
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
X2! I'm glad it went to the right person who appreciates an uncommonly clean vehicle, just the way it is.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
x14

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #18
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Beautiful Long Horn, looks to be in good hands.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #19
projectking

I'm only parting my '70 LWB because The cab has bad headliner rust and the bed floor is toast. If my '68 SWB Chevy had a title I'd probably reconsider cutting up the '70 as I love long beds!
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #20
projectking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
While I do like them all I'm a long bed lover at heart which might explain why I have a 70 Longhorn myself. When I went to look at my truck last August to purchase from the original owner he wasn't about to just let his truck go to anybody. Thru out our conversation he asked certain questions which at the time I really thought nothing about, such as was I planning to use the truck year round and drive it in the snow, (hell no) and would I ever part it out (hell no) and where was I going to keep it etc. It began to feel a little bit like an interview but that was okay by me, I could tell that this guy loved his truck from the very day he bought it new off the dealers lot. Once we struck a deal and it felt like he trusted me he told me about the people that came to look at the truck before me and that they all had plans to part it out or shorten it! I could tell that just the thought really upset him and I promised him that would never happen. I don't mind trucks being parted but I'm the kind that really appreciates history and I hate seeing the nice clean originals sacrificed.. This is a picture of my truck, the one all the guys that looked at it before me wanted to part it out and cut it up. I have done nothing to the exterior of the truck other than polish and wax the original paint.
If you ever grow tired of that truck put me in line for it, only thing I'd do to it is put a 105 gal fuel transfer tank and toolbox in the bed and drive it to work on the easy days!
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #21
Orange Crate

I had a hard time finding decent bed side repair panels. I needed to replace behind the rear wheel wells and ordered repair panels, but they barely made it out of the box before I realized they were junk (they are still in the box three years later). I looked for about 8 months before I found two really nice bed sides (I'm on the East coast). But patience paid off and my truck has all original sheet metal once again. I have since squirreled away two more sets of bed sides and one more bed floor in decent shape (just in case).

"
What parts are you noticing that have just become almost impossible to find at a decent price and yes I understand the NOS craze but buying NOS plastic hidden parts is just crazy when comparable new are available for pennies on the dollar "
Old 07-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #22
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Unhappy Re: Parting out these old trucks

they are ALL getting harder to find these days. my cousin and myself are partially to blame in my area-we have parted out well over 200 67-72s and a few square bodies too since the mid 80s. they were cheap and plentiful back then, square bodies are still cheap around here but you can't sell the parts since there are so many in pick-n-pull and on craigslist.
looking back on it i want to kick myself in the a$$ for some of the trucks i parted -cheyenne's, CST's, suburban's and even a few supers got parted. 2wd, 4wd, longbed, shortbed, they were worth more in pieces than as a complete truck- back then !!!!!!! but, thats how we ended up with rare options for our own trucks and some extra cash for our colorado deer and elk hunting trips.
yeah i was stupid for cutting up a lot of trucks that people would love to have today, especially you guys and gals back east. knowing what i know now i would have saved a bunch more than i scrapped. the ONE i would really like to have back out of all of them-69 suburban big block, a-c, speedwarning, original paint and upholstery and ran like a swiss watch and no rust anywhere. nobody wants a big old gas hog like that, right ?
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:03 PM   #23
CST10

I get lots of compliments on my LWB vs my SWB. Only reason I have a SWB it was all original, 1 owner truck and documented 23K miles through the dealer service records and most of all it was a great price. Owned my LWB truck first. I'd sell the SWB stepper before my CST LWB.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 PM   #24
custom10nut

There are hose who say, " oh my god, why would you destroy an old truck like that?" But, remember, there are also a lot of those trucks just sitting, and rotting into the ground, because "I'm gonna get around to fixin it up one of these days".
What kills me is when I see a very good usable trucks destroyed, because somebody is building a custom truck, and doesn't care about nostalgia.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 PM   #25
BC10

My pops has a longebed stepside. He gets real upset when people offer him lowball offers, it's obvious what their plans are... to them it's an ugly duckling, but to him its a swan.
BC10 is offline   Reply With Quote