The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #1
WOLFMANmike

How do I measured for front shocks?

Hey guys I got a 65 c10 the PO put in lowering Springs or cut stock ones to drop it ... is there any way at all without taking out the coil springs out to figure out the right size as in length shocks I need to buy? Also I don't know if it's important or not but I put on those CPP front shock relocation brackets . I really would prefer to not have to pull the coil springs out . My front shocks are toast and I just did new front end rebuild ... new tie rods.. adjusters ...ball joints up and lower and new idler arm and pitman arm ... now the shocks are needed
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Any other way of checking

You don't have CPP front shock relocation brackets, you have shock mount reinforcement brackets. Your shocks are still in the original location. When you had everything apart, you should have measured the compressed height.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
You don't have CPP front shock relocation brackets, you have shock mount reinforcement brackets. Your shocks are still in the original location. When you had everything apart, you should have measured the compressed height.
believe me i know it ... but he did not want to take the spring out was nothing i could do at that point bro . it was like pulling teeth just to get him to do my U bolt upgrade after the ball joints were done . and the ball joints hardest part really was keeping the cheap fork from snapping we had ball joints done in like 45 mins

Last edited by WOLFMANmike; 08-09-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
AnotherWs6

Who is "he"????
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 View Post
Who is "he"????
he is a friend of mine that i paid to help me do the front end rebuild
Old 08-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
AnotherWs6

Either not that good of a friend because you paid him or you didn't pay him enough I guess!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Either not that good of a friend because you paid him or you didn't pay him enough I guess!
ok he is a good friend ... and i paid him plenty for it as he knows im not made of money ... but seriously how dose any of this help me with my situation im asking about ? can we please stay on topic and actually give me some useful info here so i can fix my truck please ? i mean you are aware what this site is for right ? its NOT for discussing the status of my friendships thats for sure SMH
Old 08-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Hey, can anyone help Mike out with how to figure out how to find shorter front shocks? I know his lower arms do not have the factory metal bump/steering stops so it can compress further than stock. His springs were cut by the PO but they didn't put in shorter shocks and it tore out the upper mount from the frame. I helped fix that (no I am not the friend he paid) but I don't have a suggestion on shock lengths as all of my trucks always had the metal bracket as I used dropped spindles, so I was able to use stock length shocks.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:10 AM   #9
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Another Ws6 a very good friend of mine made me see that . it looked like in your post to me you were trying to be funny . and i took it the wrong way .. im not above admitting when im wrong . so i owe you an apology i am sorry for my attitude .. without going into details i have a few disability's that are the reason for my outburst ... how ever if you do know of a way for mesureing the proper length shocks on a truck that has cut or lowering springs on it i would welcome your input .. again sorry for lashing out at you
Old 08-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #10
PGSigns

Here is one way to do it. With a shock off and the weight on the wheels measure the distance between the center of the shock mounts on the lower control arm and the frame. Then look at the lowered shock options from Bell tech or CPP or who ever you choose and look at the compressed length and see what the difference is to your measurement. You need about 2 to 2 1/2 inches of travel. So if you have say 12" between the mounts and the compressed length is 9 3/4 they should work.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #11
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFMANmike View Post
Another Ws6 a very good friend of mine made me see that . it looked like in your post to me you were trying to be funny . and i took it the wrong way .. im not above admitting when im wrong . so i owe you an apology i am sorry for my attitude .. without going into details i have a few disability's that are the reason for my outburst ... how ever if you do know of a way for mesureing the proper length shocks on a truck that has cut or lowering springs on it i would welcome your input .. again sorry for lashing out at you
Thanks and no worries. ^^^^I think this guy has it. If you have the compressed and uncompressed length of shocks and you have the length og the compressed spring I think you can find something that works. Get that spring measurement and call Belltech, I'm pretty sure they can point you in the right direction.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #12
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Here is one way to do it. With a shock off and the weight on the wheels measure the distance between the center of the shock mounts on the lower control arm and the frame. Then look at the lowered shock options from Bell tech or CPP or who ever you choose and look at the compressed length and see what the difference is to your measurement. You need about 2 to 2 1/2 inches of travel. So if you have say 12" between the mounts and the compressed length is 9 3/4 they should work.
Jimmy
hey PG thanks brother .. to make sure i understand you right when you say the weight on the wheels are you telling me to jack the truck up by the wheel as in the tire placed on the jack it self ? or do you mean to place the jack under the bottom of the control arm and lift it that way to measure ?
Old 08-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
PGSigns

Re: How do I measured for front shocks?

Either way works. Just has to have the weight on the suspension. Can put it up on ramps for an easy access to the shock location. The spring length is not needed as it has little to do with the height of the truck with the weight on it.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #14
WOLFMANmike

Re: How do I measured for front shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Either way works. Just has to have the weight on the suspension. Can put it up on ramps for an easy access to the shock location. The spring length is not needed as it has little to do with the height of the truck with the weight on it.
Jimmy
Awesome
Thanks brother