The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
Pyrotechnic

Metal vs Rubber control arm bushings

I know for 67-72 C10's it is a popular upgrade to use a complete 73-87 front suspension as an upgrade. One of the biggest difference between the two front ends is the style of bushing used in the upper and lower control arm pivots. 67-72 C10's used metal threaded bushings and 73-87 C10's used rubber bushings like a car.

Is one bushing more desirable than the other, in terms of handling and durability? One interesting fact is that 73-87 3/4 and 1 ton trucks continued to use the metal threaded bushing just like older trucks had always used. This action alone tells me that GM didn't think the rubber bushings would last or perform well under heavy use.

Would it be safe to say that the older metal bushings are more durable and will last longer?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Metal vs Rubber control arm bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
I know for 67-72 C10's it is a popular upgrade to use a complete 73-87 front suspension as an upgrade. One of the biggest difference between the two front ends is the style of bushing used in the upper and lower control arm pivots. 67-72 C10's used metal threaded bushings and 73-87 C10's used rubber bushings like a car.

Is one bushing more desirable than the other, in terms of handling and durability? One interesting fact is that 73-87 3/4 and 1 ton trucks continued to use the metal threaded bushing just like older trucks had always used. This action alone tells me that GM didn't think the rubber bushings would last or perform well under heavy use.

Would it be safe to say that the older metal bushings are more durable and will last longer?
Yes.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
Pyrotechnic

Thanks! I think the other big advantage is that the metal won't rot like the rubber ones, whether it be from age or oil/fluid contamination. Being able to pump in new grease to flush out any contaminates is a nice touch too.

Does anyone happen to know approximately how many miles the metal bushings last on a typical C10? I know variables like road conditions,how the truck was driven, and how often the bushing were greased will change things. Just trying to get a ballpark idea of how durable they are in a half ton application.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

If properly maintained, they should outlast you. Typically neglect is what kills them.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
69gmcc10

when I rebuilt my upper and lower control arms this spring, 7 of the 8 bushings were in perfect shape on the inside, even the seals were still holding grease. I think the one that was bad was cross threaded from the factory or kinked, there was no play or water in it, but the threads were worn out. Incidentally the arm itself would not align with new shafts when I tried to assemble them, so I got a new arm. problem solved... So in short, Yeah They last Forever... if lubed on a semi regular basis...

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
MCB Matt

The latest and greatest in the market when it comes to bushings for our trucks is Delrin!

It is a VERY hard plastic like material that will not squeak, wear or allow any deflection!

Ridetech just released these in their new StreetGrip kits. You can take a look at them in our post here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=721503

They are an investment you will never have to replace and nobody that runs them has ever regretted it!

MCB
925-828-5555

www.mcbparts.com
Email: forums@mcbparts.com

Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts

Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!
MCB Matt is offline   Reply With Quote