The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
ck5566
Account Suspended

Help an Old Man Out

WIRING DIAGRAM PLEASE.
I dont know if this is the place or not for this but here goes. My be some one here has connected this unit, I hope. This FM/AM Cassette Car Stereo was given to me by one of my daughters a while ago with only the "Operating Instructions" booklet (publishing date of 1998) witch is helpful but DOESNT have a Wiring Diagram in the booklet or on the radio it self. I'll post some pictures to see if any body can help me with my wiring problem, might take two post. Thanks in advance.

PS, It was in working condition when given to me should work again its just been resting for a while. LOL LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by ck5566; 10-22-2016 at 12:08 PM.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
ck5566
Account Suspended

Re: Help an Old Man Out

Round Two
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #3
michael bustamante

yellow to batt positive
red to ign. positive. black to ground.
2 blues are not used unless you have an extternal amp or a power antenna.
purple and green wires are for the rear speakers. black stripe is negative most likely
white and greys are for the front speakers
Old 10-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
roboticjunky

Here's a diagram from another forum for a xr-c5100r (probably the same as your headunit)

roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
yellow to batt positive
red to ign. positive. black to ground.
2 blues are not used unless you have an extternal amp or a power antenna.
purple and green wires are for the rear speakers. black stripe is negative most likely
white and greys are for the front speakers
Yah I also thought that is how its wired. Here is what I found online a while back (if you can believe what you find online now days) pretty much what you have suggested. Its not working when it is hooked up that way. Got to be some thing I am not doing before or after hooking it up You Think?
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticjunky View Post
Here's a diagram from another forum for a xr-c5100r (probably the same as your headunit)

Wrong unit, you show XR-C5100R unit and also the wire connector is wrong mine has only one plug & along with the location of the Fuse is wrong. Apples for apples guy. Mine is a XR-C5100 not with a R on the end. thanks anyway
Old 10-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
ck5566
Account Suspended

Free Bump TTT
Old 10-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
davepl

Here you go. Going to be tough to read in the forum reduced size, but I found it online.

Light Blue -> Antenna
Red -> Switched power
Yellow -> Unswitched (battery) power
Black -> Ground
White/grey/green/purple -> Speakers

You have ext antenna (likely unused unless you have a power antenna) and ext amp (unused unless you have an external amp you need to turn on).

If you don't have ACC, hook the red to IGN.
Attached Images

Last edited by davepl; 10-22-2016 at 06:15 PM.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
davepl

Here's another view. I'll also try to attach the PDF, don't know if I can.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf xrc5100.pdf (245.4 KB, 121 views)
Old 10-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #10
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Here's another view. I'll also try to attach the PDF, don't know if I can.
That one is similar to what I posted before as for witch wires go to what,yellow/red/black & all speaker wires. YOU must have a better GOOGLE search then I have.LOL Thanks
Old 10-23-2016, 02:24 AM   #11
719foot

The thing i noticed first, is that there is no fuse installed in the slot underneath the multi pin plug. I would try that. Diagram says 10A. If it has been sitting, I'd be prepared for the electrolytic (polarized, can shaped) capacitors to be dried out, they may pop in short order, but are easy to replace.
719foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #12
Ironangel

I'm in the process of hooking up a Custom Autosound USA-1 AM/FM/Cassette in one of my 72's. The instructions were adamant in stressing the importance of correct speaker polarity or the unit would not work. Well, I did cross one set and sure enough when I went to turn it on, I had power but no sound. After rechecking the polarity on all eight speaker wires, I had in fact got the wires crossed. Plays like a dream now but has more button functions than my brain can process and retain. My RAM (random access memory) is dwindling as the years pass and megabytes become minibytes.This radio came with an inline fuse for the battery power and it also has an inline noise filter. The instructions indicate what filters you may need if you have a noise problem, where to get them, and how to determine what the origin of the noise is weather it be an alternator or running your
low level RCA cords to close to the power source. If your running an amp, run the supply power to the amp on one side of the vehicle and run your speaker wires down the opposite side of the vehicle to minimize noise caused by power fields.
Forgot to mention this...It looks like your radio has a screw boss located in the center of the back of the radio. Most radios, mine included come with a small mounting bracket that serves two very important needs. One is to support the back of the radio and it also provides the ground for the radio itself. A couple of small self drilling teck screws and a 4" piece of plumbers tape works very good. If for some reason you decide to only run two speakers, be sure to cap the ends of the speaker wires not being used. Do not try to incorporate the fronts with the rears because internal damage may result, use the fader option to play the two speakers you chose to full stereo capacity. Good luck
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 10-23-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #13
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 719foot View Post
The thing i noticed first, is that there is no fuse installed in the slot underneath the multi pin plug. I would try that. Diagram says 10A. If it has been sitting, I'd be prepared for the electrolytic (polarized, can shaped) capacitors to be dried out, they may pop in short order, but are easy to replace.
I know the fuse is out, that's not the problem here. The radio has been wrapped up in a towel for the last 10 years now. I have No idea what a Electrolytic Capacitor is and also have No idea where to look for it in the radio any way, finding what has been found hasn't did me any good yet so far & finding a Diagram for the Electronics wouldn't be any easier.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
I'm in the process of hooking up a Custom Autosound USA-1 AM/FM/Cassette in one of my 72's. The instructions were adamant in stressing the importance of correct speaker polarity or the unit would not work. Well, I did cross one set and sure enough when I went to turn it on, I had power but no sound. After rechecking the polarity on all eight speaker wires, I had in fact got the wires crossed. Plays like a dream now but has more button functions than my brain can process and retain. My RAM (random access memory) is dwindling as the years pass and megabytes become minibytes.This radio came with an inline fuse for the battery power and it also has an inline noise filter. The instructions indicate what filters you may need if you have a noise problem, where to get them, and how to determine what the origin of the noise is weather it be an alternator or running your
low level RCA cords to close to the power source. If your running an amp, run the supply power to the amp on one side of the vehicle and run your speaker wires down the opposite side of the vehicle to minimize noise caused by power fields.
Forgot to mention this...It looks like your radio has a screw boss located in the center of the back of the radio. Most radios, mine included come with a small mounting bracket that serves two very important needs. One is to support the back of the radio and it also provides the ground for the radio itself. A couple of small self drilling teck screws and a 4" piece of plumbers tape works very good. If for some reason you decide to only run two speakers, be sure to cap the ends of the speaker wires not being used. Do not try to incorporate the fronts with the rears because internal damage may result, use the fader option to play the two speakers you chose to full stereo capacity. Good luck
I'll get back to you after some Much needed sleep
Old 10-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #15
ck5566
Account Suspended

UP DATE ALL. I should have mentioned at first that all I wanted to do was BENCH TEST it first be for installing it. So when you want to test it but not install it Both the Yellow & red wires need to be together for the test. Radio works just fine. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread and its posts.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
michael bustamante

haha i wish i knew that first!! lol
Old 10-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #17
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
haha i wish i knew that first!! lol
As painful as it is to admit-
The kicker here is I was a Electrician for 32 yrs.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #18
davepl

I found the circuit diagrams and so on for it as well, but didn't see any value in posting them, but if you do need to do board-level repairs, those instructions are out there.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #19
demian5

Id go get a bluetooth stereo with cd if I was going through all this trouble
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Id go get a bluetooth stereo with cd if I was going through all this trouble
I am retired now so with keeping up 5 cars & 1 truck along with my Harley Oh yah I forgot the Wife,kids & Grand kids,the House at least its payed off, extra money gets spread around thinly if you know what I mean. The radio/cassette was just collecting dust and with my working AM radio in the truck well the FM/AM/Cassette is a No brainier not to install

PS; there is still people that has cassettes you know. He!! I even have a working Craig Pioneer 4 track with around 20 4 track cartridges. Did I forget to mention my 8 track also. Life goes on so what ever Floats your Boat go for it.