The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
inkfamous13

To make my c20 a c10 or restore to original? That is the question

Asking some opinions from other members. Buy a 1966 C20 all original black plates 283 Factory air conditioning, and Deluxe heater, 3 speed wipers with squirters,emergency flashers, sway bar Pick Pocket equipped with passenger side lock and it has a dealer installed ? I guess the seventies and np540 Overdrive 5 speed transmission. Even has shift pattern instructions on glove box door. Truck is basically rest free will be fixing bottom fenders and about a nickel size on passenger door. Runs and drives great should I change this to a C10 putting the front crossmember and rear end from a seed 71 72 or should I leave it 8 lug fix body work and repaint this is a project truck to get rid of not to keep. What are some opinions on what would be the best way to leave it since it's being so original and well option. Should it stay the 8 lug or should I change it to 5 lug. Is there a good Market for all original well options C20. Thanks for any help or questions answered. Or would I just be best off putting all 5 lug airbag kit and not seeing it pancake in the crossmember laid on the ground and paint job?
inkfamous13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
Advanced Design

Re: To make my c20 a c10 or restore to original? That is the question

Which do you like better?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
inkfamous13

C10 lol would never buy a c20 before or v8 truck but this has factory a/c, deluxe heater, flashers, muti speed wipers w/ squirters,sway bar,alum grill, tinted windshield spid sheet, like no rust. Blk plates factory 283 has a np-540 od 5 spd trans so i bought it. But im a straight six 292 3 on the tree bagged out on the ground kinda guy. But got this to fix restore to show/driver status.basically wading ime and building something to get to my 64-66 burb i want. Just stuck on would it be worth more all orig or customized to c10 bagged on the ground? Seem a shame to tear apart a c20 if theres people that want a clean well optioned all orig truck for towing,farm ect? Any help deciding is greatly appreciated
Old 11-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #4
Advanced Design

If the well optioned C20 has more value than a similar condition and lower optioned C10, perhaps you can sell the C20 to a restorer/collector looking for one and buy a C10.

Just thinking aloud as I am not familiar with the values on 66 trucks.

Hopefully another member will jump in and share their thoughts.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I don't see any reason to change to C10.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #6
Coley

Clean it up, leave it alone in terms of its series...C20.
You won't get very far successully in terms of trying to turn it into a 1/2 ton.
There is a lot more to the difference than 6 lug (or 5 lug) vs. 8 lug wheels.
Leave it alone, clean it up....drive it, you'll love it.
my two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #7
inkfamous13

I hate it? Lol dont like the ride dont like the v8 lol all my other 4 c10's and 3 47-54 trucks didnt ride this rough. I bought drop kit from ccp coils shocks, rebuilt front suspension joints,rods,bushings, ect still dont ride half as nice as my bagged out 65 on bias plys.? Whats the differences besides the 8 lug and trailing arms being reinforced? And of course the outragous weight fees evey year here in cali? Anyone got a 64-66 burb with 292 and 3 on tree or pwr glide wanna trade lmao rust dont concern me at all within reason lol
Old 11-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

So it has 1/2t drop coils on front and rides rough up front? Is the rear leaf or coils? I'd think 1/2t coils all around would make it ride like a 1/2t. Lug count, size of brakes, trailing arms have no effect on the ride. A C20 with C10 springs will ride like a C10. Bags under either, same thing, they'll ride the same. These are things that will not affect it's value as what it has survived as. You can keep the original parts and either install or offer them at time of sale, if you are concerned about resale value based on original configuration. It all can be reversed.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
inkfamous13

Thats true. Idk. Its still really high for having drop coils. When i bought it it was even higher and had allready had coils cut by p/o and homemade 3 in blocks on back and helper springs taken off.I dont plan on keeping it, Dont like chrome grill or bumpers on my trucks. Bought it because of its nice options and lack of rust. How much are the c20 worth (price range) new paint ( Profesional nody and paint) dupont materials, no rust. Lowered with all options it has? If thats the case i could mabye sell it fixed up or orig patina as is and jump on the 72 c10 and buy a 67 front clip? Lol thanks everyone dor all the info !nd answers i guess when you have allways steered away from v8 chrome bumpers and anything up high in the sky,Its never gonna feel right. I love driving it its just not me .
Old 11-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
inkfamous13

Its coil spring / trailing arm rear by the way. It a hell of a nice truck. I just dont dig stuff in air. Im a slammed / scraping the ground kinda guy. Allways have been. If i was in need of a truck that could tow anything iid keep it in a heart beat
Old 11-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #11
inkfamous13

Attached Images

Old 11-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #12
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

FWIW. I own a C10 Chevy and a 3/4 ton GMC. Love them Both. The C10 road better without question, but C20's are WORK trucks. Made to be used. Your not gonna get the best ride out of them unless you convert to coil suspension all around and sway bars. My GMC rides like a boat because of the big 800 pound v6 up front. Wore out a new set of KYB gas shocks in a month. lol Being a rather optioned out truck I would leave it original and add some better suspension. Like a front sway bar. It will help cornering a lot. I am also a big 292 straight 6 fan. You can see pictures of my hopped up 292 in my build thread Project Two Tone(link in sig.). I say do it how you want. You spent the money and the truck is in your name so you are the only one that matters. If I had done my 66 by going with people's advice I would have had a boring 350/350 combo and a single stage paint job(And been miserable) lol Thank God there is a little crowd that still thinks Uniqueness is worth Something, and has given me great encouragement in doing things the way I have. My mind was set on doing a straight 6 to embarrass the heck out of a sbc and I did. Took almost 2 years to do the engine and tranny, but hey...I look back a year later and man did time FLY! AND I did it how I wanted! Sum up...do it how ya want it. Even if it is a 350. lol Your truck, your time, your money.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:11 PM   #13
In The Ten Ring

I'd keep the C20. C10's are for girly men that don't actually "work" on anything or have anything of value to haul.

Oh and my truck is a C10.

Seriously though, keep it as a C20. Originality matters, a well-optioned C20 is probably a rarity, and C20's can haul more. I wish my C10 was a C20 and lwb! Everyone goes nuts over swb's but I wish my swb was a lwb!

Also, if I was going to buy a truck and the seller said "this used to be an X but I turned it into a Y" I'd be courteous but look for something else. I think it's better not to make changes that are hard to change back. Now maybe this change is easy to revert but I'm thinking not.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #14
inkfamous13

Yeah i heard that. I just couldnt pass it up. But i rebuilt complete front end. Has factory sway bar i put performance suspension bushings and ccp lowered bar mounts? Mabye the bushings are to tight on bar? Or i should have got links for lca instead of factory slide in style?i just need to do the bodywork and paint it and get it up for sale and find my burb or a str8 six 3 tree c10 to bag out. Ive got a clean 72 c10 in the back yard for suspension . I should just get this gone and find a burb or c10 and swap in the 72 stuff and part out the 72? Lots of usable body parts for those building a 68-72. Its got a 5k tach & a/c dash truck has rust free bed, cab only has rust on drivers drip rail witch is 29 bucks and pass rocker was " repaired" not bad but not right either lol but easily fixable, blazer tailgate because of camper Im going to get under this 66 and see if mabye the toe or camber is way out of wack. Infact we moved rigjt after i finished front end and havnt took this in for alighnment! Lol idk forgot when i put two new tires alighnment guy was busy that day. Thanks for all the imput and answers. Guess i just dont like 3/4 ton trucks. If i need to tow stuff c10 is fine / harley, atc,quad,jet skis lol i aint towing a mobile home cross country. Might be in the for sale adds in few months. Anyways thanks all.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #15
notsolo

Sounds like the springs have been cut and or replaced, which has not improved your ride but possibly made it worse. I have not tried air bags or know what difference it would make to smooth out the ride. maybe someone will advise if that's an option to consider. The rest of the truck is a beefier C10 not a lot heavier, Trade or replace your chrome grille, etc..add the motor and drive train you like and you got the best truck around.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #16
Bigdav160

Many people don't like dropped trucks. Boring.

If you're going to flip don't do anything to it expect clean it up.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote