The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
Trado

Clutch slipping?

First guys let me say hello! I'm new to the forum and just got my hands on a 1970 c10. It needs some work but what doesn't. I am handy with wrenches but always learning. Anyway I drove the truck home yesterday 8 miles and we did fine till almost home. We were pulling a bit of a hill and the rpm's went up and the clutch was slipping. It did it another time or two and I could smell something " burning"

I assume the clutch is shot but is there a way to confirm? Thanks

Ps boy it's nice to sit back in the seat of one of these.
Posted via Mobile Device
Trado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Toms67

Re: Clutch slipping?

I would check my adjustment at the fork. Make sure there's not too much tension against it. That would not allow it to engage all the way. If there is an inspection cover. Which there should be. Take a look up through and look at the disc for ware. Good luck.
Toms67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
LongBox

What Toms 67 said, and also check that there is free play at the top of the clutch pedal travel. Should be about an inch or so before the pedal starts to activate the linkage.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
B. W.

X3 - If you have a little free play in the clutch linkage (you're supposed to) then you're gonna need a clutch! If the linkage has no play you can adjust it so that it does have the correct amount of free play & try it but when the free play in the linkage goes way ( & the clutch is enganging at the top of the pedal) it is a sign that the disc is wearing out.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
LongBox

If it slips going up a hill in say fourth gear, you can eke a few more miles out of the clutch by shifting down, so the clutch does not have quite so heavy a load to pull. Of course, the longer you let it go, the more likely you are to damage the flywheel, but it is usual practice now to re-surface the flywheel when changing the clutch assembly, so that may not matter all that much.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
Trado

Ok I checked at the linkage rod and clutch fork and the rod had a little wiggle and looking up the inspection plate remove the pad is about 1/16-1/8 not sure what it should be? I assume it needs a clutch.

Any places cheaper/better than others? I guess I need a clutch kit, 3universals (1is shot)and carrier bearing ( driveshaft just flops in there). Anything else I may need? Never did a clutch
Trado is offline   Reply With Quote