The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
JnJJunk

Hello from Illinois!!

I yall. 18 year old scrapper from Illinois here. I recently bought a 1970 C10 with a 307/3 speed saginaw. I fell in love with these trucks when I was 13 and a guy in my neighborhood had a 67 c30 camper special, with a 327. I still plan on owning a truck just like it. But for now I will drive this 70.

Anyways in the process of tearing down this 307 we discovered a broken piston skirt. I have decided to not rebuild this 307 and just put it in the corner since it is numbers matching. I figured if I am going to be putting a new motor in I might as well make some more power.

I am looking at the Goodwrench 350, the 260 (195) hp and the 290 hp. From reading on here I have discovered that the 290 just has a bigger cam, bigger price tag, and a smaller warranty.

I was going to go with the 290 because I was looking for a slight lope and some more power. I want something fun to drive but still reliable that I can afford. So what is everyone's experiences on those motors.

Look forward to meeting you all.

(I know its not customary to ask questions on the first post, but I would appreciate any help I could get.)

Thanks Everyone!
JnJJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
TheCougarine

Re: Hello from Illinois!!

Welcome! Sounds like you've already got a good plan going for your truck and I don't blame you for ditching the 307 in this case. Theres no vin on 67 72 GM truck blocks anyway so theres only so "matching numbers" that can be proven with these trucks. I've seen those engines discussed on here before and I think you should check out the torque ratings and where those motors make them before making a decision. If my memory is correct the 290 horse doesn't make a ton or torque down low that you are going to want with the weight of a truck. I may not be right about that but regardless if you want something thats going to feel strong around town, you're going to want something with plenty of power and torque low in the power band. Just my 2 cents and I'm sure theres other people here that will chime in.

Last edited by TheCougarine; 11-27-2016 at 07:46 PM.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Deer_hunter_088

How far away are you from me. Mount carmel illinois. Would love to help if you if i could

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
JnJJunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_hunter_088 View Post
How far away are you from me. Mount carmel illinois. Would love to help if you if i could
Your about 300 miles away so little bit of a haul. I'm think of buying the stock 350 and putting a mild cam in it. All said and done I would be in it less then $1700.
JnJJunk is offline   Reply With Quote