The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2016, 01:57 AM   #1
KT57

Newbie with a 69 CST/10 long bed

Hi all, just picked this up from a friend. He was 2nd owner since the 80's and original owner was from the town I currently live. Thinking about doing some things but want some opinions. This truck is very original. Besides paint, wheels and engine most all is original including interior. It's a straight truck that needs some TLC. Just wondering if I should keep it close to original or not worry about it.
[attach]Name:  IMG_0033.JPG
Views: 551
Size:  100.8 KB[/attach]
Attached Images

KT57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
70cst

Re: Newbie with a 69 CST/10 long bed

Hey KT57 ...

to the forums and from Ohio.

on your purchase.

The question you ask is a common question and ... you need to do what makes you happy. With my 70cst truck I did some minor changes such as I converted to 5 lug wheels and lowered it 2/4 inches. The changes that I did make can all be changed back to its original form ...

Keep us updated ...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Welcome to the 67-72 Chevy Truck Board. As DeWayne said you have to do what makes you happy and makes you want to drive the truck. I have bone stock, slightly modified, and highly modified trucks and I like and drive all of them. It looks like it is in good shape so for the time being I would just fix any safety issues/operational issues it might have and drive it while you think about what changes you might want to make. So many people start tearing their truck apart as soon as they get it with big ideas, but they don't have the time, financial resources, or place to work on it so it just sits until they finally sell it at a big loss.....

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
custom10nut

If your truck isn't already equipped, here's a list of comfort options, to make your jewel even more enjoyable.
Power steering
Power brakes
Disc brake conversion
Air Conditioning (since you're in Cali)

Paint is your decision, as are any suspension mods.
Just think anything you're about to do all the way through, especially along the lines of drivability and cost.(don't put yourself in the poorhouse, or tear your truck apart, before you can afford your next mod)
You have an amazing truck there, enjoy it
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
LongBox

I think the answer to the question (should I leave the truck like it is, or modify it?) depends a lot on what shape the truck is is when you get it. If, for example, your truck was in need of rust repair, had some bad mechanicals, or previous modifications, it would be a better candidate for mods than a truck that was all original, and in good condition.

The second factor is how long you think you will keep the truck. My own observation is that most often, you do not get the money you put into modifications or restoration work back when you sell the truck. If you are going to keep it for a long time, and you are pretty sure of that, it doesn't matter as much.

Now, for my opinion: You have a great truck, it appears to be original, except maybe the paint, and it looks to be in good condition, with no obvious rust or body damage. To me, that's a truck that should probably be left alone. Putting on wheels and tires, or other simple things like that make sense, but radical work probably not so much.

It's your truck, enjoy it your way!

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
yuccales

Good looking truck you got there! All great advice given so far. I think two of the best things I've done to these old rigs has been the headlight relay setup, and front sway bars. Enjoy this forum. Tons of great info here!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Looks like a good clean start to do what you wish with. As far as original, the mirrors, trim, side markers, paint, and you say engine is not original, I would say do what you like with it.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
88Stanger

nice starter. I will be honest with you, everyones comments so far are spot on. So i will tell you i have a truck that started a bit worse off from yours, but it was a long bed 69 CST, turbo 400 and 350 v8. it is now slightly changed. It is now a short bed truck with the same tranny rebuilt and same motor modified. i did a complete frame off resto and i will tell you know, if you do not have alot of time and money, do not attempt a full rebuld from the frame up. it is expensive and very time comsuming if you do it right.
either way, there is alot of people on here who have a vast amount of knowledge to help you. They helped me and still do today. so if you are unsure what to do while you are working on this truck, search for your answers first, then if you do not find the answer, ask. Good Luck!!
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
dmjlambert

That looks great! My 69 CST/10 is in rough condition on the body, but the engine and transmission are returned to stock. My list of recommendations would be quite different than most I'm sure. I like the stock height, and I like manual drum brakes. Since it is a CST/10 yours probably has power steering already. I like that trim you have along the bottom of the truck, that is skinnier than the stock trim. If you could post some more pictures that would be great. Is that a stamped dealer bumper? Let's see under the hood and the dashboard, and do you have a sticker on the inside of the glove box with the options listed? The more pictures, the better. Is something holding your antenna down?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
KT57

Just a general reply to all comments with more detail of truck.
307 with 3 on the tree. Factory A/C not working. No PS or PB. Would like to convert to compfortable daily driver with ps, pb and at. But part of me enjoys the originality of the old truck. I was going to immediately do a 2.5 spindle drop, but chose to make it roadworthy and do some homework. Front drums were shot. Rears were good so I did the front and master cylinder. Only cancer is in passenger footwell by the kick panel. Other than that it's an undamaged straight California truck that has never lived more than 30 miles from me. Engine has 25k and purrs like a kitten. Might be correct year for the truck though. I have original owners manual and original build sheet.
Not original trim or side makers?
I was wondering about the mirrors. Want to replace but couldn't find the same shape from LMC or elsewhere so was scratching my head. Looks all stock under hood. Smog pump and all. I believe it is factory bumper that was repainted. I will shoot more pictures when I get home from xmas.
Also, is the master cylinder that I replaced of value as an original part? No matter what I do I plan on keeping original parts if useful or of value

Last edited by KT57; 12-26-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
Coley

Smile Re: Newbie with a 69 CST/10 long bed

Welcome to the Forum KT-57 and looks like you have a great find there.
There are a lot of very, very experienced truck restorers and enthusiasts here, so their feedback and advice on your truck can offer a lot of benefits.

One thing that I would definitely and heavily agree with tho'....is to hold off on the idea of any 'frame off' restoration stuff. Like a few of the guys have said already...if you are not prepared for this with money, time, excellent tools, experience and space it will very likely not work out.....and may end in failure....and many do.
These trucks can be fully taken apart in a week (or less), which causes great initial excitement....however the re-assembly will take 5 years and $20,000 (or way more)...so be careful.
As a result...I would recommend to simply get some miles on that truck...drive the wheels off of it and find out what you like about it...what you don't like and start with some simply weekend restoration events.
Things like power steering, new brakes, a very well tuned engine, some detailing, maybe some comfort upgrades (tilt wheel?)....some new wheels or trim or re-do the bed...etc
After that you will know how you feel about the truck and if you are ready to take it to a new level.
The other very important point is, if you have a spouse....make sure you have their support and 'buy-in'...this is key or you will be fighting a lot of weekend battles which may not end well....particularly if you start trying to put (or worse.... 'sneak') $500 to $1000 month into a yard or garage project. This is a slippery slope....lol....probably better suited for the single life.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
KT57

Just a general reply to all comments with more detail of truck.
307 with 3 on the tree. Factory A/C not working. No PS or PB. Would like to convert to compfortable daily driver with ps, pub and at. But part of me enjoys the originality of the old truck. I was going to immediately do a 2.5 spindle drop, but chose to make it roadworthy and do some homework. Front drums were shot. Rears were good so I did the front and master cylinder. Only cancer is in passenger footwell by the kick panel. Other than that it's an undamaged straight California truck that has never lived more than 30 miles from me. Engine has 25k and purrs like a kitten. Might be correct year for the truck though. I have original owners manual and original build sheet.
Not original trim or side makers?
I was wondering about the mirrors. Want to replace but couldn't find the same shape from LMC or elsewhere so was scratching my head. Looks all stock under hood. Smog pump and all. I believe it is factory bumper that was repainted. I will shoot more pictures when I get home from xmas.
Also, is the master cylinder that I replaced of value as an original part? No matter what I do I plan on keeping original parts if useful or of value
Old 12-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #13
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Your first post made it sound as if the engine had been replaced. If it runs like you say, get it out and get some miles on it and make a decision on what to do next.
The mirrors and trim are some sort of aftermarket parts. The side markers on a CST would have the chrome trim on them, but easy to replace those.
I would say the old master cylinder has no value...
Good luck with your truck.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #14
KT57

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
Your first post made it sound as if the engine had been replaced. If it runs like you say, get it out and get some miles on it and make a decision on what to do next.
The mirrors and trim are some sort of aftermarket parts. The side markers on a CST would have the chrome trim on them, but easy to replace those.
I would say the old master cylinder has no value...
Good luck with your truck.
I was told the engine was replaced with a 307 crate motor which the data plate reflects was the original engine. A mechanic looked at the block # and said it matched year of production of truck. Coincidence maybe? Don't know much about researching matching #'s so maybe a quick tutorial?
Also, which would be correct mirrors for my truck? Current are floppy and need to be replaced. Also I see very few trucks with just the single lower body trim. Is this rare? Or was it originally double trim and the top trim was discarded when it was repainted?
Also someone asked about the antenna.It is loose and needs to be replaced. It's just turned an laid down.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #15
Coley

Smile Re: Newbie with a 69 CST/10 long bed

Check on that motor....I don't think there was a crate replacement for a 307....at least within the last 20 years.
You might have a 350 that replaced it?
If you post up the stamped i.d/serial number or casting info on it we should be able to help....

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #16
KT57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Check on that motor....I don't think there was a crate replacement for a 307....at least within the last 20 years.
You might have a 350 that replaced it?
If you post up the stamped i.d/serial number or casting info on it we should be able to help....

Coley
It could be that old. The truck has sat the better part of the last 10 years.
I'll try and find the number
Old 12-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #17
LongBox

Just a guess, but I'd say that the body trim, the lower strip, is an aftermarket piece, stick on. Can be removed easily, sometimes with a bit of heat from a hair blower. The factory style mirrors will show up on lots of pictures.

I'm in the same boat as you as I have manual steering. Simply too slow a ratio, and makes maneuvering in tight spots a real chore. I'd definitely recommend going to PS. I also have manual drum brakes, and really don't see a big problem with that for everyday driving. If I lived in the mountains, or hauled heavy loads, I'd convert to disks.

Enjoy the truck as others have said. The vintage driving experience, and the thumbs up from folks make it lots of fun.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:11 PM   #18
Myoldtruck

Ive had my 70 long bed for a year now, in about the same shape yours is. I worked on mine to be a every day driver. Short list that was affordable and easy enough to do. Front sway bar, new shocks, convert from manual to power drum brakes, Hei distributor, all new rubber hoses of every kind. Im having a great time driving the truck as is.

Craigslist is my best friend for finding parts.

Id say drive it as is for a couple months and enjoy it, and start collecting parts.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #19
KT57

confirmed 1969 307 block
Name:  IMG_5972.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  78.2 KB
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2016, 11:29 PM   #20
KT57

Not sure of the V stamp though
Old 12-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #21
KT57

more pics
Name:  IMG_5954.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  95.9 KB
Name:  IMG_5955.JPG
Views: 272
Size:  93.2 KB
Name:  IMG_5956.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  57.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5957.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  83.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5958.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  82.9 KB
Old 12-27-2016, 11:33 PM   #22
KT57

Name:  IMG_5959.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  75.9 KB
Name:  IMG_5961.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  86.2 KB
Name:  IMG_5962.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  94.4 KB
Name:  IMG_5963.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  75.1 KB
Name:  IMG_5964.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  107.1 KB
Old 12-27-2016, 11:36 PM   #23
70cst

That's a solid looking truck and having factory AC is a big plus...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:50 PM   #24
KT57

Based on the glovebox sticker can I assume the following?
Factory step bumper?
originally 2 tone?
So if two tone then this truck originally had the upper and lower trim?
Old 12-27-2016, 11:57 PM   #25
KT57

Also the cancer in the footwell is about it. So this should be easy to take care of?
I also get water collecting around the gas pedal. I assume I need to do some work behind the dash with ducting. No A/C or heat as well.

And can someone help me verify matching #'s. I understand that the correct engine block stamp does not necessarily mean matching. I am assuming they are not based on previous owners statement.