The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

brake booster vacuumm question

Is there any specific location for the port on the intake manifold for a vacuum source for the vacuum assist brake booster? Most common is in the rear most likely to reduce the cost of hose to connect the two.
But does it matter where in the manifold as long as its after the throttle body blade and in the main section of intake, ie, not in an intake runner?
I don't have a gen3 manifold to see if the brake booster port just "taps into" the "reservoir of vacuum" aka intake manifold of there's some nonsense around it. I know its not centered and could also be that away to save on the cost of hose??

Thanks,
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: brake booster vacuumm question

I'm pretty sure the vacuum hose to the booster location is more of a convenience and intrusiveness factor than cost factor. A few inches of vacuum hose would cost pennies and wouldn't make a dent on the cost of the car. But to answer your question, any full manifold vacuum source will do as you mentioned. Just need to find the most convenient, least intrusive location on the manifold that works for you.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:48 AM   #3
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I'm pretty sure the vacuum hose to the booster location is more of a convenience and intrusiveness factor than cost factor. A few inches of vacuum hose would cost pennies and wouldn't make a dent on the cost of the car. But to answer your question, any full manifold vacuum source will do as you mentioned. Just need to find the most convenient, least intrusive location on the manifold that works for you.
When building vehicles pennies= millions so cost is #1.
Machining and tapping an iron intake cost tons more than drilling alum base plate and a pressed in barb.

And yes any place in the intake ports is fine.. just make sure the one way check valve is in the line between the booster and intake..
if fuel vapor gets to the booster diaphragm it can kill it in short order.. With ethanol mixed fuel it's cheap insurance to install a new one..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
When building vehicles pennies= millions so cost is #1....
Sure, I understand that pennies leads to overall cost when manufacturing by the hundreds of thousands, just so happens that behind the carb is the most convenient place and shortest also.

On that same note, I always wondered why they changed the location of the A/C compressor on square body trucks to the drivers side. Never did like the hoses routed across the front of the engine.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

A full manifold vacuum source is correct but it must be a 3/8 tube outlet.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Yep, use a larger (3/8" minimum) nipple. Doesn't matter if it's in the intake or carb. And it doesn't have to be exactly centered in the intake, but it also shouldn't be too far into a runner as you mentioned. I do recommend using a dedicated port. I don't recommend sharing the same source with another vacuum accessory (ie: using a tree/tee/manifold) so you have full vacuum to the booster at all times for safety.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #7
87chevy.com

Sound about right. I'm going to pull the trigger and mod the intake and fitting. It's for the LT 5.3... it will be months before I get to test it though.. waiting on Holley to quit changing the pre order ship date!
Thanks for the input
Clint

Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #8
sprint_9

The port dumps right into the main intake cavity, atleast it did on my gen 4 5.3.

Are you planning on cutting the quick connect port off of a donor intake and welding it onto your gen 5?

Atleast Im not the only one dealing with Holley's ship dates.....
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:37 AM   #9
87chevy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
The port dumps right into the main intake cavity, atleast it did on my gen 4 5.3.

Are you planning on cutting the quick connect port off of a donor intake and welding it onto your gen 5?

Atleast Im not the only one dealing with Holley's ship dates.....

Not going to drill a new hole, just use the purge valve port. Drill it the same size all the way through, and turn down the vacuum pump brass fitting threads off and press it in there... maybe put a few grooves on it and fill the grooves with rtv. Then include use the brake booster line and fittings... that's the plan atleast.

Clint