The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
Jayblythe

Project 68 1/2 ton longbed

Hello all, I have a 68 1/2 ton 6 lug long bed with a 250 straight 6 and a 4 speed with the granny gear. relatively clean, rust in the normal spots, rockers, cab corners, fender wells. I have some questions about certain routes i could take with this project, to be clear im not looking for a show truck, just a fun driver.

1) i have noticed the growing popularity in swapping vortecs or LS motors into c10's, its an attractive idea but im not sure that i am up to the challenge and budget in terms of wiring, fuel injection, and the cost of upgrading

2)I was also looking for small blocks, either a 350 or 327, cant decide what i want, some extra power would be nice. so your thoughts on if i should go Ls or small block
3) transmission: i love the stick shift but a new 5 speed with overdrive is a little out of my budget, i was thinking a th350 or 400 automatic until i can get the manual transmission i want. Any thoughts on possible transmission options feel free to chime in

4) im converting the front drums to discs thats a no brainer, im looking to drop the truck but not to much, its got coils in the back, looking at drop spindles in the front, any recommendations for kits, not really looking to pull any off a square body. also recommendations on ride height would be appreciated

5) Power steering is my last problem, I would really like to upgrade however my dad thinks its an unnecessary effort and expense, your thoughts?

Pictures will come soon, not around the truck right now but any insight would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Last edited by Jayblythe; 03-07-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Jayblythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
bs46488

Re: Project 68 1/2 ton longbed

Welcome aboard.

I did an LS swap in a 1970 Nova and it wasn't cheap and I did it on a "budget build". Given the choice of doing a motor swap again....I'm not sure I would choose the LS motor.

Early Classic Enterprises (ECE) has some good kits for our trucks. Their 3/5 drop kit is popular for our trucks.

Let's see some pics.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Jayblythe

Re: Project 68 1/2 ton longbed

Pics coming by end of the Day!

Im thinking of going small block, possibly a 383, not sure if i should go crate engine or get a builder, thoughts?
Jayblythe is offline   Reply With Quote