The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Wheel Questions & Recommendations

I'm looking to get a spare wheel so I can have a spare tire, and need some recommendations only. I went camping a few weeks ago and one of the other guys got TWO flat tires. I got lucky.

I have 16.5" wheels on my truck now, but will be going to a tire size that is more easily found when those wear out or get too old. I want a wheel like what I have in terms of appearance, and that I can snap my hubcaps on. So, 16" or 17", I guess. Mine are 8.5" wide; don't know the backspacing, yet.

I'm guessing that any 8 lug wheel is rated for my truck. I'm not sure about why 16.5" was used. I know that on trailers, the 14.5" was to force people to buy the tires with more strength than a passenger car tire. Maybe that was the case for these trucks?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Wheel Questions & Recommendations

Looks good, thanks! Yeah, I'll paint mine white, as well. Does the stock hubcap fit that wheel? I've dropped a ton of money into this truck in the last year, with more to go. I just can't see spending where it isn't necessary, so looking to not buy hubcaps, too!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #3
71threequarterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Looks good, thanks! Yeah, I'll paint mine white, as well. Does the stock hubcap fit that wheel? I've dropped a ton of money into this truck in the last year, with more to go. I just can't see spending where it isn't necessary, so looking to not buy hubcaps, too!
I have the Wheel Vintiques on my C20 and the same hub caps you have. They fit. [EDIT] I was looking at robs71 - I have those same hubcaps.

71 Chevrolet C20
94 GMC Yukon 4x4

71threequarterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Thanks guys, looks like I'm good to go! The spare wheel for this truck has been sitting in my FIL's back yard for a long time, and I don't trust that the bead will seal. I'm going to recycle that one.

Also, I'd really rather buy new wheels than take a chance on bent ones (that also may have worn holes for the nuts). Been there with other vehicles.

Simi Valley, CA