The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

Trouble with D.S. outer fender

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a pic or two. Or just let me know if this is too far off. I have a feeling I might need to just start over with a better fender or cut this one even further.

I know I already messed up since my spot weld holes from my fender don't line up. I realized then that I cut in the wrong places for this repair. Where the hood spring attaches to is unlevel. It's actually twisted a bit. Not sure if I can just shim this? Since the overlap that gets spot welded is out where it needs to be (I think) the gap when the hood closed between that and the fender should still be okay. Is this going to affect anything?

I'm also wondering if the fender line curves back toward the engine bay a little where the hood spring attaches. I'll post some pics. It's a little hard to explain this. I would just look at my passenger side, but that was is at the body shop getting primed.

Here's a pic of the fender line. I guess I never noticed it before that it does a slight bend a few inches away from the point of attachment to the cab. It looks pretty good I think. Just never noticed it before. Wanting to make sure before I continue welding.
Attached Images

ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
ryans69chevy

Re: Trouble with D.S. outer fender

Here you can kinda see how that overlap that was previously spot welded is further away from the panel it's wrapped around. I believe this overlap to be in the right spot. It's the panel underneath that I think is still not totally straight.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
ryans69chevy

This pick was taken at the back of the panel - closest to where it would attach to the cab. It shows how the panel where the hood spring attaches to is twisted. This is where I'm wondering if I can use shims to bring the hood spring out more.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
ryans69chevy

I put an uncrowned 2x4 on the panel to show that where the hood spring attaches is still pushed out toward the outside of fender.

I know the inner fender attaches to this panel which I might have problems with that to.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
ryans69chevy

Here is right after I cut the panel out to try and striaghten it out. I thought I had it pretty good. I'm not sure why the PO did that. The inner fender is screwed up in that spot too. The outer part of the outer fender is screwed up too. I cut into the overlap and then bent it back - which I know now was the wrong way... I should have cut that overlap all the way out. I would have caught that the inner panel didn't get straightened out enough.

I'm nearing the point that I don't want to cut anything out just finish welding and fix it with filler. Or just find a better panel somewhere. I suppose I might just need a break from working on the panel too since I'm getting a little frustrated.
Attached Images