The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
1SG.Rob

Long term storage options

I have an opportunity to take a job in Germany that will have me and my family moving there sometime late this summer. We would be there at least 5 years.
Before I accept it, I want to gather as much info as possible to make the best decision. One of those bits of information is what do to with my truck? I definitely do not want to sell it, nor do I want to bring it to Germany (though it is tempting). I'm curious as to what you all have to say about best long term storage options. Like how to prep the truck for storage, things to be aware of etc. I have family in the area, but none that have space for the truck, so storage location is up in the air also. Thanks!
1SG.Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
MARKDTN

Re: Long term storage options

Storage building, up on jackstands. Change the oil and pull the battery before you go. I would drain the fuel tank and run it out of gas too. There is probably some kind of heavy fog for the cylinders you could do. Expect some brake and carburetor work when you return. Or find a trusted friend to drive it a little or at least start it every month or so.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
72 tigger

I’ve used a storage bag that the whole truck fits into- seems to keep it clean and well preserved. Auto jacket is what I think it’s called??
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

I would also pull the valve covers and back all the rocker arm nuts off so all the valves are closed and no springs are compressed. Mice and other vermin are one of your biggest threats.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:35 PM   #5
mike16

drain fuel and water. jack stands and pout about 5 gallon mix of diesle and 30 wt. in each sparkplug hole down the carb till its full up and then fill the carb vent up until the carb is full. then put a plastic bag over.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

How much is your truck worth, and what is the rent on the storage facility? You may find that you could buy a truck when you get back after 60 rent payments that is less than the sale price of the truck plus the rent.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
1SG.Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
How much is your truck worth, and what is the rent on the storage facility? You may find that you could buy a truck when you get back after 60 rent payments that is less than the sale price of the truck plus the rent.
That's definitely something that I have been considering. I bought it for 7k almost a year ago. It is relatively rust free for a PNW truck. I rebuilt the engine and have done other, minor, restoration on it. I would price it currently between 8-10k. It's value is likely more sentimental to me though. Plus the odds of finding one in as good shape as this one are pretty slim.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #8
Killer Bee

come on First Sergeant, you're supposed to be answering these questions for your troops!

I would look into a free deployment lot on a base at or near your home of record or wherever you plan to retun stateside to..

or maybe even a drier climate base in socal or arizona or something..

I'd be happy to scout this area for you, I used to know Kathleen at JFTB Los Al who was in charge of long term storage there and NWSSB..

most deployment lots are free but not sure about PCS accompanied orders to EU.. they are shipping your household goods and autos, right?

you should have a RAP office or something like that where you're stationed that has staff there to assist you..

once you find a spot, the above layup recommendations should be considered for preserving the truck..

auto bag or small portable canvas garage cover or something would be good for it too..

you may also be able to find some nice folks in this forum with truck collections that have enough room and willing to tend to it for you..

start and run every few weeks/months to keep it active, clean, and vermin free, for small rent amount or covering costs, etc..

If I was retired already and back on the family farm, I'd put your truck up in a barn and keep it safe and active for you..

I suspect some of the nice folks in this forum would do the same for a service member..

good luck and enjoy Deutschland, pay attention to the road sign portion of your driver's license test, it's tough.. but it's awesome duty!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
1SG.Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
come on First Sergeant, you're supposed to be answering these questions for your troops!

I would look into a free deployment lot on a base at or near your home of record or wherever you plan to retun stateside to..

or maybe even a drier climate base in socal or arizona or something..

I'd be happy to scout this area for you, I used to know Kathleen at JFTB Los Al who was in charge of long term storage there and NWSSB..

most deployment lots are free but not sure about PCS accompanied orders to EU.. they are shipping your household goods and autos, right?

you should have a RAP office or something like that where you're stationed that has staff there to assist you..

once you find a spot, the above layup recommendations should be considered for preserving the truck..

auto bag or small portable canvas garage cover or something would be good for it too..

you may also be able to find some nice folks in this forum with truck collections that have enough room and willing to tend to it for you..

start and run every few weeks/months to keep it active, clean, and vermin free, for small rent amount or covering costs, etc..

If I was retired already and back on the family farm, I'd put your truck up in a barn and keep it safe and active for you..

I suspect some of the nice folks in this forum would do the same for a service member..

good luck and enjoy Deutschland, pay attention to the road sign portion of your driver's license test, it's tough.. but it's awesome duty!
Haha, I've been retired for a few years now so I don't have access to those post amenities anymore, but it is definitely something to look into. Storage back when I deployed was outdoors and that is something I would like to avoid if I can. I was stationed in Europe for a long time and have a chance to go back as a DoD civilian. Not sure if they would pay for storage like can happen while on active duty PCS orders.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG.Rob View Post
Haha, I've been retired for a few years now so I don't have access to those post amenities anymore, but it is definitely something to look into. Storage back when I deployed was outdoors and that is something I would like to avoid if I can. I was stationed in Europe for a long time and have a chance to go back as a DoD civilian. Not sure if they would pay for storage like can happen while on active duty PCS orders.
I had a shot at something similar a few years ago at Kelley barracks in Stuttgart.. I think I would probably still be there if I had taken it!

looong story but I had all bases covered if you know what I mean.. and her dad flew his own helicopter to business meetings

might consider taking your truck if you're going as a civi, that's a long stretch of time you'll not have it to enjoy and you may end up there longer than 5 years

no duty days, deployments or .mil BS in your way, would be a great adventure for the family, the truck, and you..

otherwise, worth looking into base help for retired .mil/DoD members.. and still ask forum guys too.. like I said, I'd help if I could..

thank you for your service and good luck!
Old 03-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
1SG.Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
I had a shot at something similar a few years ago at Kelley barracks in Stuttgart.. I think I would probably still be there if I had taken it!

looong story but I had all bases covered if you know what I mean.. and her dad flew his own helicopter to business meetings

might consider taking your truck if you're going as a civi, that's a long stretch of time you'll not have it to enjoy and you may end up there longer than 5 years

no duty days, deployments or .mil BS in your way, would be a great adventure for the family, the truck, and you..

otherwise, worth looking into base help for retired .mil/DoD members.. and still ask forum guys too.. like I said, I'd help if I could..

thank you for your service and good luck!
Yeah, I know that I can only ship one vehicle. If I take the truck we'd have to be ready to buy a family car damn near the day we hit ground. Though the job is down in Garmisch. That's a fairly small community and we could get away with not having a family car right away. Plus, if I was so inclined, I could get a crazy high price for it in Germany. Probably 2 or 3 times what I could get in the US if I found the right buyer. Lots of things to consider and think about. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
Coley

Smile Re: Long term storage options

Long term storage...this is some of what I used to do and still partially do (shorter storage cycle now):
1) First and foremost....I completely rustcheck the truck, front to back from underneath, in the rocker panels, doors, box rail supports, etc, etc, etc, etc....seriously coat the thing underneath (not oil tho'...'rustcheck' or equivalent).This is a slightly oil, messy procedure done on your back...and will take probably 1-2 hrs...but it pays in spades and diamonds if you want the body of your truck to 'stand still in time' in terms of corrosion creep.
2) I jacked the truck up slightly and put 6x6's under the frame and let the truck weight rest on those with the tires and suspension just lightly compressed with no substantial 'hangin' weight. (...let me know if this makes sense)
(note: this keeps your springs and suspension from being under load, without 'hanging' in the air....and is different than using jackstands under the suspension)
3) I used to 'stop' the engine by running transmission fluid slowly down into and through the carb until if finally had pulled enough down through the intake, runners and combustion chamber to stall out.
(sort of like coating the internal engine combustion system with cough syrup....so you don't get rust/corrosion in the walls, runners, etc of the intake system)
4) I pulled all the spark plugs and put a shot or two of oil in each one and then re-installed the spark plugs.
5) Remove the battery
6) Do everything you can to keep out rodents and vermin...everything. Close vents, seal stuff...whatever you can do to keep those things out.

...now the fuel in the truck is a different story:
I store my truck in the winter and fill up the tank (not drain it) to limit the surface area within the tank from taking on surface corrosion from winter moisture...which would flake off and end up in the fuel. Also, I use fuel stabilizer to ensure that it is still good fuel come spring.....which is soon!!!! lol
I'm not sure for long term storage, but that fuel will probably not survive a 5 year stint.

Do you know or have anyone you trust to help take care of the truck?

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 03-06-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote