The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2018, 04:04 AM   #1
bh86

Idle stop solenoid info

I’m trying to get my 84 back to complete functioning condition. I just recharged the ac, it’s holding pressure and blowing cold air. It was missing the idle solenoid so I purchased a standard es110 off of eBay. The only thing I’m running into is the solenoid won’t raise the idle, it will only hold the idle higher if I have the ac on, then give it gas and then when I let off it will hold the higher idle speed. Basically it seems the solenoid is a lil bit weak to me or is that how these are actually designed to function?
bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #2
chengny

Re: Idle stop solenoid info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh86 View Post
I’m trying to get my 84 back to complete functioning condition. I just recharged the ac, it’s holding pressure and blowing cold air. It was missing the idle solenoid so I purchased a standard es110 off of eBay. The only thing I’m running into is the solenoid won’t raise the idle, it will only hold the idle higher if I have the ac on, then give it gas and then when I let off it will hold the higher idle speed. Basically it seems the solenoid is a lil bit weak to me or is that how these are actually designed to function?
Below is a description of how to check the operation of the "fast idle solenoid" - which is what I think you are asking about. It was only used with A/C systems. I'll you draw your own conclusions about whether your new solenoid is operating correctly - I think it is.

There is another type of solenoid used with Q-jets. Called an "idle stop solenoid" and that was used in a primitive attempt to prevent dieseling (i.e. run-on). I believe the part was actually the same - but it functioned and was mounted on the carburetor differently. Rather than bump idle up upon an increase in load, it would reduce idle. Also, I am pretty sure it only was installed in trucks with manual transmission applications:

chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
bh86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengny View Post
Below is a description of how to check the operation of the "fast idle solenoid" - which is what I think you are asking about. It was only used with A/C systems. I'll you draw your own conclusions about whether your new solenoid is operating correctly - I think it is.

There is another type of solenoid used with Q-jets. Called an "idle stop solenoid" and that was used in a primitive attempt to prevent dieseling (i.e. run-on). I believe the part was actually the same - but it functioned and was mounted on the carburetor differently. Rather than bump idle up upon an increase in load, it would reduce idle. Also, I am pretty sure it only was installed in trucks with manual transmission applications:

This is the part I ended up with
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...olet/year/1984
Maybe it’s not correct but everything bolted up and lined up correctly. I was under the impression that when the ac was activated it would kick the idle up. The wire that runs to it is energized when the ac is turned on. Problem I’m having is that it won’t kick the idle up, it will hold it at a higher rpm if I give it throttle and then let off. Maybe that’s correct for these trucks, I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything wrong with this one.
bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
jjzepplin

Maybe your return spring is too strong. Or your linkage too tight?
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
400/400

How is it wired? The harness on the firewall has two terminals. One for the clutch that kicks in and out and one for the idle solenoid that has constant power when the ac is on.

I’ve never known them to be able to push the throttle open, only hold it open when energized. You will have to open the throttle to allow the solenoid to move when the ac is first turned on, but it will hold the idle higher as long as the ac is selected.
1987 V10 TBI350/700R4/208/10/10
'85 Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643968
400/400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
Bandit130

I have one on mine that operates the same way. It is not strong enough to increase Idle when AC is turned on without a little press on pedal. After that works great and has been working very well. I thought it was bad when I installed last year, but searched info online and found out this is normal.

Still glad I have it.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:07 AM   #7
chengny

The solenoid is not designed to be strong enough to force the throttle to open on its own. It can only maintain the opening. You have to cause the throttle to open manually - and only then will the solenoid/plunger be able to keep it open. See step 4 in the image and step 3 in the text:

chengny is offline   Reply With Quote