The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
dondb

Steering Wheel Replacement

I recently purchased a 69 c10 pretty much all original....except the steering wheel which is blue and the truck is green. The blue steering wheel is pretty flimsy to boot. I have the original green steering wheel (all cracked) and it is very solid with a good steal ring in the middle...seems very sturdy. Well, i wanted a green steering wheel with a nice solid feel....i think i could snap the blue one on the truck. So i searched online to find a good replacement green steering wheel. Found all the replacements looked the same with similar descriptions and pricing. Spent $230.00 bucks for a green steering wheel that's just as flimsy as the blue one i took off The only consolation is now at least matches my green interior. And i did call the vendor to verify it had a metal ring through it....I guess just not as thick! Do all the after market knock offs have the same flimsy feel? Just curious to others thoughts and experiences with after market steering wheels?
2002 Camaro SS LE Rag Top #937
dondb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Steering Wheel Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondb View Post
I recently purchased a 69 c10 pretty much all original....except the steering wheel which is blue and the truck is green. The blue steering wheel is pretty flimsy to boot. I have the original green steering wheel (all cracked) and it is very solid with a good steal ring in the middle...seems very sturdy. Well, i wanted a green steering wheel with a nice solid feel....i think i could snap the blue one on the truck. So i searched online to find a good replacement green steering wheel. Found all the replacements looked the same with similar descriptions and pricing. Spent $230.00 bucks for a green steering wheel that's just as flimsy as the blue one i took off The only consolation is now at least matches my green interior. And i did call the vendor to verify it had a metal ring through it....I guess just not as thick! Do all the after market knock offs have the same flimsy feel? Just curious to others thoughts and experiences with after market steering wheels?

The two aftermarket wheels I have bought were the more flexible ones. I have not had any problem with them but I don't do a lot of pushing and pulling on them getting in and out of the truck. I think the metal hoop is smaller "rod" than the original, and the plastic material is softer.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
davepl

Yup. My strory goes like this:

- Cracked blue original wheel
- Put on $250 repro that is weak as a noodle
- Offered a guy $600 for an NOS blue wheel but he wants more

So you're only option for a like-new sturdy wheel appears to be NOS. Fortunately green is likely not that hard to find, and hopefully not as expensive.

It's beyond me why a human being would go to ALL off the trouble it must be to replicate every aspect of molding a reproduction steering wheel and then use a cheap core to save money.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
dondb

thanks for the reply's gentlemen. At least now i know i didn't screw up totally with my purchase? I also found a bearing in there i should replace. Any good sources??

Last edited by LockDoc; 06-05-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
zosoppp

Is it possible that in the intervening years the steering wheels are now "softer" for driver safety? Meaning new ones have to meet some safety standard to collapse instead of collapsing your rib cage in an accident.

Similar to the "collapsible" steering columns that were introduced over the years.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
truckster

If you're willing to put some work into it, restoring yours might be the best option. Several board members have posts about doing that.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
dondb

Thanks...i'll do a search on restoration of steering wheel. On another note when i pulled the steering wheel off the little plastic piece flew out from the spring. Any pictures on how it goes back with out trial and error?
Old 06-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
thanks for the reply's gentlemen. At least now i know i didn't screw up totally with my purchase? I also found a bearing in there i should replace. Any good sources??

Any parts supplier should have the upper bearing.

You have to be a premium member to sell parts on here. If you click on the word "subscribe" in the menu bar above it will list the subscription options available.

The plastic piece just pushes in and twists to lock it in if you didn't break the tower.

LockDoc

-
Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
dondb

Thanks Leon for the recommendation to help support this site The cost is worth the support from many knowledgeable people on this site!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks Leon for the recommendation to help support this site The cost is worth the support from many knowledgeable people on this site!
Good deal. Thanks. You can now post up any extra parts you have for sale in the classifieds and post a "want to buy" for any parts you may need....

LockDoc

-
Old 06-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
dondb

LOL...I'm kind of a hoarder. One day when i go American pickers will come by to pick my stuff