The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
kansasc10

454 Motor Mounts

Hi all,
I'm just about done building a 496 stroker to put in the 72 c10. I have the original perches from the 350 that I pulled out of it. I also have the complete original motor mounts from the 454 Bbc. My question is can I use the mounts and perches I already have to get this motor in? I'm worried about using the original 350 perches because of the added weight of the big block. I'm assuming I could use the clamshell mounts from the 454 somehow but not sure if I need to buy perches for them to sit on or what I need to adapt them to the frame.
Attached Images

kansasc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
68bowtie

Re: 454 Motor Mounts

Are you looking for the cheapest or best route? Also the exhaust/headers will make a difference.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
68Gold/white

There's a thread here, about wanting to know if the owner had an origianal big block pickup. I just made a post on that thread to bring it to the top.

I will tell you what I know.
1st the frames on big block pickups have been narrowed where the exhaust manifolds/headers reside, for clearance...

2nd I have read about possible problems with clearance issues when using small block perches and mounts. I do not believe that the weight of a big block is an issue, on the mounts. THe 68-71's used a similar (nut NOT the same)mount setup, my 68 used this type originally. The 68-71 mounts AND frame perches are different from the small block pieces...) I believe the engine sits lower with the small block mounts, which could have several problems. One might be, cooling fan alignment with shroud,

3rd. The 72's used a clam shell type mount, which I believe is best. I have purchased here a complete 72 mount setup (frame stands, clam shell mounts, and engine brackets) to use on my 68.
I am not sure if you can use the chamshell mounts (you have) with 72 stands. At one time I thought about using 73-up frame stands with the 73 up clam shells and engine brackets. I am sure it can be done, but have not known of anyone doing it this way...

IF, IF I wuz you () I'd get a set of 72 frame stands, clam shell mounts, and engine brackets. Might make it easier......

If you do try to make the small block stuff work, let us know how it hopefully works.

Last edited by 68Gold/white; 04-20-2019 at 05:40 PM.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
Danny Bost

I just put a 454 in my 1972 that came with a 350. I used mounts for a 1979 c20 with a 454, the clamshells that you have will work. The bad part is that you will need a set of big block perches. If you don’t use the right perches you will have clearance issues. Also, I am running long tube headers and they clear just fine.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
CUDA8U

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasc10 View Post
Hi all,
I'm just about done building a 496 stroker to put in the 72 c10. I have the original perches from the 350 that I pulled out of it. I also have the complete original motor mounts from the 454 Bbc. My question is can I use the mounts and perches I already have to get this motor in? I'm worried about using the original 350 perches because of the added weight of the big block. I'm assuming I could use the clamshell mounts from the 454 somehow but not sure if I need to buy perches for them to sit on or what I need to adapt them to the frame.
schumaker makes all kinds of motor mounts

ps ,you will love the big block stroker,my 512 has gobs of tire shredding torque,a mid range cam, very good heads and 10.5:1 compression with pump gas will be knocking on the 600hp range and with the big block strokers the torque usually exceeds the hp rating,mine is 600hp with 640 ft lbs torque
CUDA8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Here is a thread I posted that shows the differences in the frame brackets....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=732393

As mentioned above the '69-'71 or the '72 only would be your best bet but the later ones will work. You have to trim the frame to make them sit correctly. There are a couple of threads on the swap on here someplace.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:33 AM   #7
kansasc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Here is a thread I posted that shows the differences in the frame brackets....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=732393

As mentioned above the '69-'71 or the '72 only would be your best bet but the later ones will work. You have to trim the frame to make them sit correctly. There are a couple of threads on the swap on here someplace.

LockDoc
This helped a lot. I think the clamshells I have now will bolt right up to the 72 BB perches.
The mounts in your picture have the exact same bolt pattern as the mounts I have. Anybody have the bolt to bolt measurement on the 72 perches so I can compare to mine?
Old 04-21-2019, 04:04 AM   #8
kansasc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDA8U View Post
schumaker makes all kinds of motor mounts

ps ,you will love the big block stroker,my 512 has gobs of tire shredding torque,a mid range cam, very good heads and 10.5:1 compression with pump gas will be knocking on the 600hp range and with the big block strokers the torque usually exceeds the hp rating,mine is 600hp with 640 ft lbs torque
Mine should come in around those numbers with a small shot of nos to boot. I ordered some Brodix heads last week and still waiting for Brodix to ship them out. The anticipation is killing me! The truck will be a tire roaster for sure.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasc10 View Post
This helped a lot. I think the clamshells I have now will bolt right up to the 72 BB perches.
The mounts in your picture have the exact same bolt pattern as the mounts I have. Anybody have the bolt to bolt measurement on the 72 perches so I can compare to mine?

I have a pair out in the shop that I will be using for my 8.1 swap. I will measure them when I go out. I know you have to notch the frame rails a little bit to use the '73 up clamshells..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote