The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
Livemeyer

Walking visor?

Just installed new cardboard headliner and new driver's side visor (with the chrome arm). I was a little disappointed after mounting to find the arm doesn't go straight across, it sort of sags, or angles down toward the middle of the cab. What's worse is that when driving, the whole thing doesn't stay against, or even near, the windshield. In a matter of a minute or two I find it touching my forehead and I have to push it back toward the windshield. Is there a way to prevent this "walk?" Modern vehicles have a clip the end of the visor squeezes into. Unless I'm mistaken, these old trucks didn't have that available.
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
nvrdone

Re: Walking visor?

is that one of those 2 piece headliners? if it is, it needs a cross bow / channel that holds the front section in & also holds the back part up. if you need one, let me know.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
MiraclePieCo

Usually my reproduction visors go the other direction - angled upward toward the ceiling. I tried to bend one on the truck and it cracked one of the cast ears off the mounting base.

As far as yours swinging out toward your head, it's probably a function of the spring not exerting sufficient pressure. Unfortunately I don't recall that being adjustable.

Since you have two problems with yours, I'd recommend getting a replacement. Try Classic Parts; I've gotten four from them and never had that problem. And whatever you do, don't oil it.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 07-07-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Add photo.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
nvrdone

ok, I re read this one. I thought the problem was with the headliner not the visor. happens when you get old.
If I remember correctly, the mounting screws are equally spaced and the mount may just need to be rotated.

Last edited by nvrdone; 07-08-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #5
Ironworking

Thumbs up Re: Walking visor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemeyer View Post
Just installed new cardboard headliner and new driver's side visor (with the chrome arm). I was a little disappointed after mounting to find the arm doesn't go straight across, it sort of sags, or angles down toward the middle of the cab. What's worse is that when driving, the whole thing doesn't stay against, or even near, the windshield. In a matter of a minute or two I find it touching my forehead and I have to push it back toward the windshield. Is there a way to prevent this "walk?" Modern vehicles have a clip the end of the visor squeezes into. Unless I'm mistaken, these old trucks didn't have that available.
I think i would try using some low grade ( not medium or permanent ) lock tight in the pivot.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
Livemeyer

So the solution was easier than I expected. I put the passenger side in and realized the rod was angled down significantly, even more than the driver's side. It was pointing at the floor on the opposite side of the truck. I took the visor rod and removed it from the mounting bracket, put the end in my vise and pushed down on it to achieve the right angle. This took a couple tries to find the right bend but I got it perfect. When I put the mounting bracket back on, I screwed the holding screw down all the way so that it was tight and the spring was completely compressed. This did the trick, so I did the same to the driver's side visor.
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote