The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Rickysnickers

FI and new engine

I purchased a Pro Flo 4 kit a while back. I got it all installed with a new engine. I just have to prime the oiling system and then make sure the distributor is installed correctly. I did make sure there were no leaks in the fuel lines, so I'm good there as the fuel pump was whining as it ran to pump gas through the lines. The gauge showed 58psi, perfect! I'm honestly a little scared to start it though....
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: FI and new engine

Sounds like some excitement is about to happen.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Sounds like some excitement is about to happen.
Well yes. I'm just nervous about getting the distributor set correctly. I did as the fuel injection instructions said and set it 12 degrees BTDC. Still, I'm concerned that I might screw it up. Any advice for double checking that I'm on the correct stroke?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #4
dsraven

set it for the tdc mark, pull number one spark plug and see if you can blow compressed air into the cylinder and have it hold or if it leaks out past the valves. be careful doing this as it tends to rotate the engine if you pressure it up too much. it is basically a cyl leak down test. otherwise, pull a valve cover, watch the rockers as you rotate the engine, and deal with leaky gasket after.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
dsraven

if you just want to test fire it, disable the fuel pump, squirt a little gas down the intake, install the air filter again in case it pops back through the intake when you try to start it. now crank it over and see if it tries to start or if it pops back. if it tries to start then it is probably set up ok for tdc on "ready to fire" stroke. if confident that is the case then connect the fuel pump and try it again, it'll probably fire up. install a timing light and adjust timing to be close enough to break it in. follow the recommended break in procedure from the manufacturer of the engine and document as req for warranty purposes.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote