The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
Slowguy

wheels are hard enough. how did you decide on your color??

I had $2500 worth of metal work done to my 67 small window cab. I realized I can't dedicate the time necessary to complete the cab this summer. I found a 95% complete cab just about ready for paint. I went and bought it. I should be able to get that ready in the next week or so. Now I have 3 cabs, 2 frames, two beds, and misch doors and parts sitting out back and not one ready to go...Geez. The joy of building a truck.

So, I didn't think I'd need to settle on a color so soon. Now I'm frantically picking up the pace to decide on a color because, as you know, i get one chance at this. Originally I was going to keep the beautiful green patina on my small window cab as the top half is in FANTASTIC shape and just paint the bottom where the repairs were made, white. That's out the window now. Now, with the entire new cab ready for paint I can do any color I want. OH MAN, the choices. I know many here are original guys and that's great but since I can do this anything I want I am seriously considering a true restomod look. I see a shiny (almost primer) grey is very popular and comes on many new cars I've seen (like jeeps, teslas, etc). Grey is not my first choice but as I scan through pics it just looks so good with any other accent color. My engine is burnt copper color (I wanted a twist on chevy orange). I like two tone and I want to keep the divider aluminum 67 molding to set it off a bit. So I can paint the bottom band and cab roof maybe white but I'm not sure how that would look with primer-type grey.

If anyone has anything to offer, personal opinions, or pics of a two tone or single grey like I'm talking about, that would be great.
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
jocko

Re: wheels are hard enough. how did you decide on your color??

I look on the truck SPID in the glovebox and order that
Just kidding, I agree, it's hard to decide when starting from a blank slate that needs a whole paint job. Since you are clearly going custom and are keeping conventional two tone it sounds like. What about two tone combos GM "should" have done? Personally, my favorite GM factory paint jobs are the Custom Two Tones available from 70-72. Great combos with no white. One combo I always wished they'd done is a black top over a pale yellow (or any yellow) body. It's a natural combo sorta, but it was never offered. Black over orange was, and it looks great, paint code 565. I'd look at factory colors, from anywhere in the 67-72 era, in custom two tone combos that were not offered. I'd avoid gray personally, that's just me though. It can be nice, but it's just not me, that's all. Black over Yellow, Yellow over Black, Black over 514 Red, Black (metallic) over Medium Olive, Black over Medium Blue, Black over White! Hmm... Lotsa possibilities.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Slowguy

Thanks for the input. Believe me when I say, I've probably looked at more color combos of c10's than any other pics in my life! As I scan, I keep getting pulled back to the "craftsman" pro touring c10. It just looks so clean. Don't know if I can do a job this slick but I also realize, in no way, does this represent any form of original look. That's the thing that has intrigued me about this model of truck - it can remain 100% original and look perfect the way it is, or it can be modded in any number of ways and look classic and modern at the same time. I like having the best of both worlds I think. All the modern tech, a touch of the modern look, and perform like a modern sports car. Once I'm done with this (just guessing) and I work all the bugs out, I'll have no issue driving this thing comfortably across the country. It's always been my dream to make the trek to Texas for c10's in the park - and in the drivers seat of the finished c10, not on a trailer behind the newer ford diesel!

https://lowfastfamous.tumblr.com/pos...en-you-combine
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
jocko

C10s in the Park is worth the trip no matter what you arrive in, hope to see you there!!
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
truckster

It's really just a matter of you deciding what YOU want to be driving. Popular doesn't mean anything, unless you want to be like everyone else. My Blazer is dark yellow, and I've thought of painting it the same yellow as late-model Corvettes - I even bought a gallon of paint. I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I might go with the original color, but I've got to decide within the next few weeks, so I feel your angst.

Probably the prettiest two-tones I've seen are the blue and white, although red and white and even yellow and white look nice, if the yellow is bright enough. But again, it's really about what you want to drive.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

For what it's worth (2 cents likely) my opinion is stay away from white, grey/silver and black as solid colors. These colors make up 75% of the vehicles on the road today. It's depressing that most people won't buy a car in a color that they actually like. They are too worried about "resale value" when the time to trade one nondescript vehicle in for another one. I have driven by used car lots in town that only sell one color of car.
67-72's came in just about every color. They were bright, vibrant colors. Those colors really make our trucks pop. Two tones and the white color white paint jobs just accentuate the colors.
I went with green and white (after months of internal turmoil) when I painted my Burban. I strayed from the original 503 green by using a close shade of green in a metallic. Like jock said something the factory didn't offer but could/should have.
I've never been big on green vehicles and years ago sold a 68 SS 396 Chevelle because it was green. But 3 plus years later I am still loving the choice I made.
My personal rule on two tone vehicles is the darker color should be on the lower half of the vehicle if it is the majority color. In other words the majority of the vehicle is covered in that color
I will also say that white roofs make the interior of the truck noticeably cooler in hot weather.
Just my opinion.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
72bowtiestepper

My personal opinion is.....It's your truck....paint it the color of your choice. Look at the many great builds on this site & pick one (or 2 tone) color and go for it...simple as that !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
LS short box

I like red. I painted my 68 C10 Ford Vermillion red. Originally was going to leave it with no moldings down the side. But just seemed like too red so I added the Mar-K moldings and to me it made big difference on the trucks look. My advice on paint choice is drive around to the car lots and look at the different colors and then choose one you like. Then use that "stock" color so you can match if you ever need to. Before and after pics attached molding wise.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #9
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

^ x2

I walked thru dealerships til I found a color I liked.
Got the color code there on the window sticker
Old 06-21-2020, 08:21 PM   #10
Barnfind46

My camper picked my color. My wife loves the camper and I picked the camper color so why not. I just haven't painted it yet!
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2020, 08:24 PM   #11
firedemon

I am horrible at picking color I wanted something with no metallic or pearl so it would be easy to fix and be able to paint the jams and such and still be able to reasonably easy to match the outside much later on as I can only afford to do this in stages . I ended up picking bic lighter blue . I knew I wanted blue but theres so many cool blues in the books too dam hard to choose . the guy mixing the paint said that lighter looks good so I went with it . it looks nice to me anyway
Attached Images

firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:31 PM   #12
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I like red. I painted my 68 C10 Ford Vermillion red. Originally was going to leave it with no moldings down the side. But just seemed like too red so I added the Mar-K moldings and to me it made big difference on the trucks look. My advice on paint choice is drive around to the car lots and look at the different colors and then choose one you like. Then use that "stock" color so you can match if you ever need to. Before and after pics attached molding wise.
I'd like to see some more pictures of your pickup, not in the shade...
Thanks!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #13
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnfind46 View Post
My camper picked my color. My wife loves the camper and I picked the camper color so why not. I just haven't painted it yet!
Sweet!
I so want to have your trailer to tow behind my Burban.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 06-22-2020 at 12:03 AM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:20 AM   #14
a1vintage69

Every classic I have had to paint I made it easy on myself by going with the original color. When I bought my K5 it was Blue but was original Bronze. My 69 RS Camaro was Blue but was original Cortez Silver. I went back to the way they left the factory. paint color problem solved.
Attached Images

a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #15
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I was determined to use Viper Red for years. It came down to it and I decided it was too much red (my frame is red) and too many people have red. I did the car lot thing and car show thing and discussed with my painter.

I loved the Silver Z06's with the red leather interior....so, I found a silver I liked and went with an all red interior. I'm still pretty nervous about it because you can't go wrong with red. Scheduled to get it back from paint in July so we will see.

I did look at the new primer grey colors like Dodge and Toyota have, but felt that would really date the truck over time as I don't think these flat colors will be around long. Pick something you like, but ages well.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #16
crazyjeenyus

Copper + Black

or

Copper + Grey like this pic I nabbed from pinterest:
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2020, 11:47 PM   #17
cornerstone

Well for me, for a solid decade I wanted to go with red and white for my 1972. White roof, red body with white on the sides between the moldings, and red on the bottom. As I got heavy into the metal work on my truck I felt the pressure to decide once and for all what I wanted. I started to view myself driving it and getting the usual comments at the gas station, etc. I envisioned red cars as more being sports cars and hot rods. Then I began to associate the color of the truck to what kind of mood it gave me. After a bunch more thought and scouring the forum and going to several shows, I found myself grinning when I'd get near the cooler colors, like light greens and blues and turquoise's. I realized those colors gave me a relaxed feeling, a more chilled out happy beach vibe. Then I asked my wife which of the cooler colors she liked best, and we both agreed the lighter to medium blue trucks felt right. So, I guess I'm saying... whats the mood you want to get (or give) from your classic? Colors definitely set the mood.... Food for thought.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:41 AM   #18
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I went back and forth here and there for near 30 years. Original is Ochre, I like it a lot, though near everyone I know is "no, anything but". My mom said it's cuz I'm colored blind

A lot to be said for the original colors, all of them are nice. I settled on Ochre, only with a deluxe paint job meaning full moldings. I tend to approach original on these things, and what looks better with black than Ochre Alright, maybe hugger orange

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, consider what you have under the hood and interior, and what your trying to accomplish (i.e, from pure factory original to extreme Mod.). Pick something you'll not be sorry for.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:20 AM   #19
Richard

Was thinking original med bronze and white on my truck as original. My dad's truck was med blue. The blue color weighed heavily on me because these trucks remind me so much of him. Did not like the spray out of med blue. Looks to "dirty" to me. Wanted something a bit brighter. Picked another color. My wife hates the med bronze. Should look nice!
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:26 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: wheels are hard enough. how did you decide on your color??

I like my Red & gun metal grey myself! With a little pin striping laid on it.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote