The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2021, 10:05 PM   #1
EdwardSams

Line-x is $1200 or Raptor for less than $200

The previous owner applied some sort of DIY bedliner and it’s showing it’s age.

I live on Long Island, New York and there is only one Line-x provider within 50 miles of me. He said to do a proper application will have to remove the existing bedliner, prime it, bake it, then line-x it. He started at $1400 and quickly dropped to $1200.

Raptor liner can be done for about 200 bucks. I figure I can sand down the existing liner, prime where necessary, then shoot it myself with the raptor.

Given the price gap its a no brainer but I do have concerns.

That feels like the way to go what but should I be concerned about getting the raptor liner to stick to the stuff the previous owner put down? Or go for it and spend the money and it’ll be guaranteed to not look bad or fall apart quickly.

Would love to hear about any experiences using either product.

Tips welcome for the Raptor solution.
Attached Images

Last edited by EdwardSams; 06-30-2021 at 10:18 PM.
EdwardSams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
woog74

Re: Line-x is $1200 or Raptor for less than $200

Anthony in West Babylon on Sunrise highway?
woog74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
SkidmoreGarage

The raptor liner or SEM rockit are great and easy to work with. If you have the tools and time, I'd recommend it. Way less aggravating than real painting, it will hide very rough scratches easily. It can also be tinted to any color For a color match.

Three things that I would have wanted to know before I used it:

Cover the ground where you plan to spray, it sticks really well to driveways.
You can thin it and spray it with a primer gun for a smoother texture.
It doesn't cover as much as you think, so be judicious in it's application.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
EdwardSams

Quote:
Originally Posted by woog74 View Post
Anthony in West Babylon on Sunrise highway?
He’s the one! Nice guy but more $$ than I was expecting. Makes going for it on my own a clearer path…
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2021, 07:15 PM   #5
EdwardSams

Thanks for the tips, especially covering the driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
The raptor liner or SEM rockit are great and easy to work with. If you have the tools and time, I'd recommend it. Way less aggravating than real painting, it will hide very rough scratches easily. It can also be tinted to any color For a color match.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #6
woog74

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardSams View Post
He’s the one! Nice guy but more $$ than I was expecting. Makes going for it on my own a clearer path…
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed. You must be local? I was thinking of doing this myself, especially with the tinting, would love to see how it comes out if you do it.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:06 PM   #7
woog74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post

Agreed great tips. What about overspray on the body? Do you have to be as thorough with taping off as you would a paint job?
Old 07-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #8
EdwardSams

Quote:
Originally Posted by woog74 View Post
Agreed. You must be local? I was thinking of doing this myself, especially with the tinting, would love to see how it comes out if you do it.
I am indeed local. I may start sanding it tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:31 PM   #9
Peanut74

I've used Raptor on a couple of beds as well as my Jeep bumpers. As stated above it doesn't cover as much as you think.

Couple of learned tips.
--Make sure the tape is fully down to prevent bleed through.
--Cover everything you want to protect from over spray. There is not much over spray but better safe than sorry.
--WEAR coveralls, gloves and paint mask. If it gets on your skin and cures you have to wear it off.
--Have some acetone in a jug so when it starts to get plugged up you can clean it out quickly.
--Make sure you mix it throughly before you spray it.
--First coat light to make sure you have it all coated. Second can be heavier.
--Texture is determined by air pressure. (40 to 60 psi) I'm not at home so I can't say the exact pressure I used. But do a test spray to get the texture you want by changing the air pressure
--Also make sure the air hole where the jug attacks to the gun doesn't get plugged up.

Hope this helps. Post some pics when you get it all done

Last edited by Peanut74; 07-01-2021 at 10:43 PM.
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #10
Snake72

Follow exactly as peanut said above ^^^. I used raptor on the top and bottom of my new floor pan, inner fire wall, cab corners, kick panels, inner fenders. It dries to a nice hard tough finish. I sprayed mine at 45 PSI.

If you could remove as much previous coating as possible, sand metal with 80 grit and then epoxy prime the metal prior to raptor...should be pretty indestructible
Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #11
EagleChief

I had that same sticker shock when I checked on Line-X several years ago.

Another option you might check out is GatorHyde bedliner. I had that done to my daily truck for about $400. Had a shop do it - dropped it off in the morning when he opened. He called me at 2:00 and said it was ready. It's held up really well for the price. Had it done in the late winter/early spring of 2015.

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197

LS Swap Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811460
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

Surface preparation is everything to get the product to last.
It has been at least years since I had anything Line-xed but part of the process was the bed was sandblasted to white metal before they started applying the system. You might check to see if this is still the case as that will definitely add to labor cost and the life span of the coating too.
Good luck
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #13
jocko

There's a reason the Line-X guy wanted to strip the old liner - he wants his work to be professional and long-lasting, every time - one bad install and he will definitely lose business, liner shops are very word of mouth sometimes, and Line-X has the best reputation across all of the professional installers. I'm the dissenting vote.. If you want a good, long lasting spray-in bedliner, I've yet to see any other professional install (like Rhino, and the rest) look anywhere near as good or last as long as Line-X over time. Have also not seen any private installs come close to the durability or the look. You have a great looking truck and have clearly put a lot of effort into it - have you considered stripping the old liner and painting the bed? While I DO like spray-in bedliners, I tend to only put them on my newer trucks. When it comes to worrying about scratches because you plan to use the bed to haul things occasionally - I've always had the opinion that a scratched up painted bed looks more at home on older trucks, even ones in excellent condition, than any even freshly sprayed-in bedliner. Anyway - just one opinion, I do understand why you'd like it lined and you can't go wrong either way - your truck looks very nice and getting rid of the old bedliner will improve things whether you do your own or pay a pro to spray it. Looking forward to the results!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:17 PM   #14
MDPotter

Is that voodoo blue? Looks exactly the same color as my voodoo blue 68.

I have sprayed raptor liner on two floors now and am happy with it. These floors will not see hardly any use - these are hot rods and never haul anything. There's a reason my company has all of our trucks Line-X'd - it is thick and it lasts. It's also a little more rubbery and therefore things in the bed seem to stay in place a little better. Raptor is much thinner and is harder and therefore things slide around. If you just want to cover the floor with something other than paint and don't plan to really use it, Raptor is a great solution. Judging from your picture, it won't see much use.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 03:04 AM   #15
Richard

IIRC I paid around $400 for the Line-x in my 1994 bed a couple of years ago here in CA. They still had to prep it. He is wanting a lot for prep. Would ask what price is if bed if ready to spray liner. That being said there is a good chance I am going to use Raptor Liner in my 72. Not much will be going in the bed anyway.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:41 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

$1,200 for Line-X, including stripping the old crud off/sanding/priming, doesn't sound expensive compared to $200 for a can of do it yourself in your hand. Line-X is a superior product with an attractive texture like no do it yourself coating. Did you ask how much for the Line-X if you prep it?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:34 PM   #17
EdwardSams

Update!

I went with Line-X. It was more than I wanted to spend but in the end I decided that getting it done professionally was the right thing to do with the truck.

I would’ve gotten it done sooner but unfortunately due to supply chain issues, they were having a hard time getting product.

The truck was dropped on Tuesday, I got it back today. They sanded out the old stuff, shot primer, and sprayed Line-X today. It was raining when I took the pix. Definitely pleased with the results. I hope it holds up!

Thanks to each of you that shared guidance.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2021, 10:05 PM   #18
yuccales

That looks real nice!
PS, send some rain our way!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #19
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardSams View Post
Update!

I went with Line-X. It was more than I wanted to spend but in the end I decided that getting it done professionally was the right thing to do with the truck.

I would’ve gotten it done sooner but unfortunately due to supply chain issues, they were having a hard time getting product.

The truck was dropped on Tuesday, I got it back today. They sanded out the old stuff, shot primer, and sprayed Line-X today. It was raining when I took the pix. Definitely pleased with the results. I hope it holds up!

Thanks to each of you that shared guidance.
You’ll like it. My 1998 K2500 has linex in it from before 2004 when my dad bought the truck. It is still holding up quite well, After nearly 20 years.
‘69 K10 SWB: 4” lift 33”s… in a million pieces http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 35x12.5x20’s
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #20
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

That looks really nice. I have been bouncing around in my head about having my LWB lined. I even went as far as getting a quote from LINEX of Austin Bedliner last December. I mostly worry it will look out of place on a old truck. But that black on blue looks fabulous on your truck!

Quote:
Long Bed standard liner is $499 plus tax and the Long Bed Premium is $649 plus tax, then Platinum Bedliner is $699 plus tax 300% Stronger than our Standard and comes with UV Stability.
Granted, I don't have any liner in it how, so I guess normal prep = cheaper. Is yours the standard / premium / Platinum? I am figuring since my truck is ALWAYS in the garage and I don't haul stuff that Platinum might be overkill.

Edit: Prices went up since Dec 2020
Quote:
Standard Bedliner Long Bed is $529 plus tax / Premium Bedliner Short Bed is $679 plus tax
Kind of crazy they say it will take ~3 hours to do the job. I have waited longer having my tint done, that took them almost 5 hours to do on the truck!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 09-10-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #21
mkmc69

I bet that stuff would be an excellent sound deadener for the underside of the cab and inside of the doors.
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #22
EdwardSams

Mine is the standard application. They did have to sand out the stuff the previous owner had sprayed in so it did cost extra since they had to prime it.

Apparently it dries almost instantly because of how they apply it. I was able to pick mine up just a few hours after they sprayed it. I’ll be sure to report back if it starts to show its age or have any other problems with it sooner than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
That looks really nice. I have been bouncing around in my head about having my LWB lined. I even went as far as getting a quote from LINEX of Austin Bedliner last December. I mostly worry it will look out of place on a old truck. But that black on blue looks fabulous on your truck!

Granted, I don't have any liner in it how, so I guess normal prep = cheaper. Is yours the standard / premium / Platinum? I am figuring since my truck is ALWAYS in the garage and I don't haul stuff that Platinum might be overkill.

Edit: Prices went up since Dec 2020

Kind of crazy they say it will take ~3 hours to do the job. I have waited longer having my tint done, that took them almost 5 hours to do on the truck!
Old 09-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #23
EdwardSams

And of course the boys insisted we take it out for a spin!
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Looks great. It dries fast because it is applied hot. That's what we can't duplicate at home.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote