The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
kyl3bb

New Build. Need some real input on this project

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but not new to building cars/trucks. I recently purchased a 72 GMC C15 short bed fleet side. It's in decent shape, decent paint job, a basic DIY garage project. I purchased it and planned to put in an LS1, 4l60E, stereo, and just drive it. I also have a very rough 72 Chevy C10 short bed fleet side, and a very rough 67 C10 Chevy step side. This is where it gets involved. I've decided to order a full chassis from Speedtech, a second gen superchargedLT4, and will be going much more extreme with this project than I originally intended. I pulled the engine from the GMC and was close to installing the LS1. With a change in direction, I realize I should not have purchased a fairly clean and running truck. I don't love the 72 GMC or Chevy front ends. I'm drawn to the 67-68 Chevy front end. It's by far my favorite. If resale ever needed to take place, I have a few questions. What is the best option here: 1- Keep GMC cab/bed/front clip. 2- Chevy 72 C10 cab/front clip, 3- GMC or Chevy cab with the 67 Chevy C10 front clip. My GMC is the best condition truck by far. The 72 C10 was purchased for parts but it does have a title. If I use a 67 front clip on a 72 Chevy, or 72 GMC, does that devalue the truck? Would the 72 GMC have the same final value as it would if it were a Chevy?

I don't see as many GMC's built. I'll be budgeted be 80 and 100k on this build. I don't dislike the GMC C15. I just don't want to go fairly deep into a build that may not have as big of a resale if that were ever forced.

Thanks guys
kyl3bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #2
Blue GMC

Re: New Build. Need some real input on this project

In my opinion they will both bring the same money as each other when built. Everyone has their favorite front end and year on these trucks. Especially if your doing a custom frame on this build it as you want and the buyers if sold will come. I would stick with a GMC front with a GMC cab etc. Best of luck but in the end it’s your vision build what you want and don’t worry about the others

Also another option may be the 67 GMC front clip has the same hood as the Chevy but can add a lot of style with the Crome grill

Last edited by Blue GMC; 10-02-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
kyl3bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue GMC View Post
In my opinion they will both bring the same money as each other when built. Everyone has their favorite front end and year on these trucks. Especially if your doing a custom frame on this build it as you want and the buyers if sold will come. I would stick with a GMC front with a GMC cab etc. Best of luck but in the end it’s your vision build what you want and don’t worry about the others

Also another option may be the 67 GMC front clip has the same hood as the Chevy but can add a lot of style with the Crome grill
Thanks. I will most likely use the entire 72 GMC body on the new chassis. I just start second guessing when I see so many 67-68 C10s built and very few GMC's. I've been told the GMC's are just more rare?
Old 10-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

If your budget is really in the area you say it is it better be a phenomenal build if you hope to get your money back if/when you decide to sell. I bet you have seen it a million times in the car/truck world. Someone buys a custom built whatever, the comments are always, there is no way you could build another for that price. Meaning of course the original builder took it in the shorts =)

As for GMC thats a tough call. From what I see the Chevrolets are the more popular choice. Maybe you will find someone that wants the popular C10 but wants to be just a little (just a tad) different than the crowd. GMC
Old 10-02-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
kyl3bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
If your budget is really in the area you say it is it better be a phenomenal build if you hope to get your money back if/when you decide to sell. I bet you have seen it a million times in the car/truck world. Someone buys a custom built whatever, the comments are always, there is no way you could build another for that price. Meaning of course the original builder took it in the shorts =)

As for GMC thats a tough call. From what I see the Chevrolets are the more popular choice. Maybe you will find someone that wants the popular C10 but wants to be just a little (just a tad) different than the crowd. GMC
Absolutely agree. I don't intend to sell, and I'm well aware that I can buy a finished project for less than build cost, however, not near as rewarding. I spreadsheet and budget builds and hope to be near cost when complete. It's always possible that life's obstacles may force a sale though. The 3 biggest single expenses on this build are the truck itself, chassis, LT4 and trans. I may opt out of the LT4 and warm up the LS1. It's always tough when we build these projects and look at the numbers. I do appreciate the input here. The truck is up on a lift now and will be getting prepped for the chassis arrival in December.