The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #1
a Good Man

A/C Temperature Sensor It doesn't work

Hi all

I installed all the parts and now it works fine, but there is a problem with A/C Temperature Sensor It doesn't work I think it is disabled since purchase . Is there another way to separate the compressor when it becomes too cold and icy?

Attached Images

( saad_alhajri ) on Instagram
a Good Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
Davidf

Re: A/C Temperature Sensor It doesn't work

POA/expansion valve systems usually do not cycle the compressor and do not have a temperature sensor in the evaporator. Weird.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
a Good Man

So I am looking for a solution.

Old 11-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
truckster

Have you contacted the vendor or manufacturer?
Old 11-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by a Good Man View Post
So I am looking for a solution.
I do not understand the problem. What do you mean by too icy or cold? The POA valve will ice up, but the evaporator should not. If the air is too cold, move the temperature lever to warmer...this adds heated air from the heater core.

Edit: Looking at your photo, I do not see an expansion valve. Is there one?
Old 11-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #6
a Good Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Have you contacted the vendor or manufacturer?
Yes, I sent a message and did not receive any message from them

Old 11-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #7
a Good Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
I do not understand the problem. What do you mean by too icy or cold? The POA valve will ice up, but the evaporator should not. If the air is too cold, move the temperature lever to warmer...this adds heated air from the heater core.

Edit: Looking at your photo, I do not see an expansion valve. Is there one?
What I mean is that the compressor works non-stop and this is what makes it POA freeze

Old 11-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #8
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by a Good Man View Post
What I mean is that the compressor works non-stop and this is what makes it POA freeze
Well, that is normal for POA systems. The POA valve opens and closes depending on refrigerant pressure...this keeps the evaporator from freezing. An expansion valve should be in the system to regulate how much refrigerant enters the evaporator. And, the evaporator should have a oil evacuation line that connects to the POA valve to ensure oil does not get trapped in the bottom of the evaporator. It all works together.

Again, I do not see an expansion valve in your photo (really, what I do not see is the TXV capillary tube strapped to the evaporator outlet tube). So, my only guess is that the temperature switch/probe is designed to disconnect the clutch if the evaporator gets too cold and at risk of freezing. If the clutch is not cycling, the evaporator is not freezing...I guess. Again, with POA systems, the compressor does not cycle and the POA valve will frost over as is bleeds excess refrigerant pressure (and we all know that refrigerant gets cold when it goes from high to low pressure)

Last edited by Davidf; 11-22-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #9
a Good Man

The air conditioner works very well, but the compressor keeps working all the time. When it works all the time it gets a POA layer of ice and it gets colder . The one in the picture now turns off the compressor temporarily when it freezes.
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #10
Davidf

That temperature switch is a crude substitute for an expansion valve. But happy it is working for you. Again, ice build up on the POA is normal and an indication that it is working properly.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:45 PM   #11
dmjlambert

So it looks like you have a POA eliminator instead of a POA valve. I have a POA eliminator, but the switching is done by pressure instead of by temperature. This is what I have from Original Air.

There is an adjustment on mine. So that makes me wonder if there is an adjustment to make on your temperature switch? If not, it could be a bad temperature switch. Do you think you have it wired correctly, or if there are doubts can you show us how it is wired? You may need to have patience with the vendor and see what they say after you finally get in touch with them, or change to a different type of valve such as a pressure operated one or an original POA valve. There are vendors who rebuild and re-calibrate POA valves.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #12
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
So it looks like you have a POA eliminator instead of a POA valve. I have a POA eliminator, but the switching is done by pressure instead of by temperature. This is what I have from Original Air.

There is an adjustment on mine. So that makes me wonder if there is an adjustment to make on your temperature switch? If not, it could be a bad temperature switch. Do you think you have it wired correctly, or if there are doubts can you show us how it is wired? You may need to have patience with the vendor and see what they say after you finally get in touch with them, or change to a different type of valve such as a pressure operated one or an original POA valve. There are vendors who rebuild and re-calibrate POA valves.
This observation does not seem accurate. Sure looks like a POA in the photos and advertisement. I tried a POA eliminator and it soon went in the trash. Constant compressor cycling and resultant up and down evaporator temperatures drove me crazy in short order. Worthy of the trash bin IMHO.

I can only surmise that the temperature switch is utilized in lieu of the expansion valve to prevent the evaporator from being liquid flooded.

Last edited by Davidf; 11-23-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #13
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
this observation does not seem accurate. Sure looks like a poa in the photos and advertisement. I tried a poa eliminator and soon went in the trash. Constant compressor cycling and result up and down evaporator temperatures drove me crazy in short order. Worthy of the trash bin imho.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:03 AM   #14
a Good Man

Thanks everyone for the response and information. The company contacted me and there was an error and the necessary work was done
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #15
CUSTOM/10

I do believe what you have is a POA valve eliminating system, with the eliminator made to look like a POA valve, but does not function as one. So the thermostat & pressure switch should cycle the compressor/clutch. The pressure switch should cycle the compressor to maintain proper psi/temperature, and the thermostat will shut the clutch/compressor off if it freezes up. So neither off them are opening and shutting down the compressor. You could also have a bad psi switch, too much refrigerant in the system, air in the system, or it's wired incorrectly.

OK, after rereading their description I don't see any mention of a pressure switch, so I'm assuming there is an orifice in the POA eliminator, not a pressure switch, and they are relying on the thermostat to cycle the compressor.

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859

Last edited by CUSTOM/10; 11-24-2021 at 06:44 PM.
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #16
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 View Post
I do believe what you have is a POA valve eliminating system, with the eliminator made to look like a POA valve, but does not function as one. So the thermostat & pressure switch should cycle the compressor/clutch. The pressure switch should cycle the compressor to maintain proper psi/temperature, and the thermostat will shut the clutch/compressor off if it freezes up. So neither off them are opening and shutting down the compressor. You could also have a bad psi switch, too much refrigerant in the system, air in the system, or it's wired incorrectly.
I re-read their website description of that device. https://autoacsolutions.com/products...oe-appearance/
So that is interesting. It is a POA eliminator that relies on an external thermostat to cycle the clutch instead of using a pressure switch built into the POA eliminator like mine.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #17
CUSTOM/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I re-read their website description of that device. https://autoacsolutions.com/products...oe-appearance/
So that is interesting. It is a POA eliminator that relies on an external thermostat to cycle the clutch instead of using a pressure switch built into the POA eliminator like mine.
A POA valve is really a pressure regulator. The expansion valve feeds refrigerant into the evaporator coil based on the temperature of the outlet of the coil, where the bulb is clamps to the suction line. The POA valve regulates the pressure in the evaporator to the optimum psi/temp just above freezing the coil up. With the POA eliminator its regulated by the pressure switch engaging and disengaging
the compressor/clutch.

Gary

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859

Last edited by CUSTOM/10; 11-24-2021 at 06:30 PM.
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote