The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
68bbc/20

oil leak

has anyone ever had an oil leak from the threaded hole for the z-bar pivot ball shaft? it appears to be worst when the engine is shut off and not under pressure while it's draining. thanks for your help on this!
68bbc/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:56 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: oil leak

All of the Z bar holes I've seen are a blind hole and have no connection to the oiling system unless you have the pivot ball in the oil galley port and have somewhat cross threaded the pivot into the pipe plug hole

Last edited by kwmech; 12-08-2021 at 11:11 AM.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #3
68bbc/20

that's what I thought too! but it has oil leaking out of it because it doesn't thread all the way in leaving a couple threads exposed. I also pulled the pivot ball off an old 283 that has been setting on the passenger side for years and it had dark motor oil
on the threads and inside hole also.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #4
68bbc/20

it's in the same hole the 283 had it in, if it was in the wrong hole nothing would line up and or function properly.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #5
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I would like to see pics if you'll post a couple.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
68bbc/20

Ol blue, pm me your phone number and i'll send you some pic's this evening after I get home from work. I've tried to post pictures before and can't seem to get them to post on here. thanks
Old 12-08-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
kwmech

It is supposed to thread all the way in and tighten down like a bolt. You're in the wrong hole.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #8
68bbc/20

there is only on hole to put in beside the oil dip stick hole. z-bar lines up and pivots correctly. it doesn't thread all the way in and tighten up to seal it off is the problem. i'll pull it out and shorten it up so that it does. I've just never seen one that leaked before, especially draining back down with the engine off and not under pressure from the oil pump. engine is a brand new rebuild with about 30 miles on it and that's definitely where it's leaking from.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
Accelo

Possibly you have a early Nova block. There are some rare exceptions to the SBC platform.
Accelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #10
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bbc/20 View Post
there is only on hole to put in beside the oil dip stick hole. z-bar lines up and pivots correctly. it doesn't thread all the way in and tighten up to seal it off is the problem. i'll pull it out and shorten it up so that it does. I've just never seen one that leaked before, especially draining back down with the engine off and not under pressure from the oil pump. engine is a brand new rebuild with about 30 miles on it and that's definitely where it's leaking from.
No, that is not the problem.. Normally the hole for the ball pivot doesn't open into an oil passage, so there's nothing to "seal off". it's possible the block has developed a crack between that hole and an oil passage and is allowing oil to seep out.. Do not shorten the threaded part of the ball pivot.. There's a lot stress load on that part and it needs all the threads intact. If the shank doesn't go all the way in and allow the shank to seat against the block it's probably because the hole is partially filled with debris.. Clean it out..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:39 PM   #11
pjmoreland

A 350 engine I'm rebuilding right now had only the rear hole (#1) drilled for the Z bar ball mount, so I drilled and tapped the front one (#2). The rear hole passes all the way through the block and exits back by the flywheel. The front hole is blind. If it were drilled too deep, it would break through into the water jacket. That third hole has a pipe thread for a plug.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #12
pjmoreland

A 350 engine I'm rebuilding right now had only the rear hole (#1) drilled for the Z bar ball mount, so I drilled and tapped the front one (#2). The rear hole passes all the way through the block and exits back by the flywheel. The front hole is blind. If it were drilled too deep, it would break through into the water jacket.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote